Best Online MFA Program? | FerrariChat

Best Online MFA Program?

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by HotShoe, Jun 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I think it's time for me to get my Masters. However, I need to do it online due to family, work, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any direct experience and or recommendations for an excellent online MFA program. Not sure exactly what art discipline I'd like to go with right now but I'm very flexible. I just like learning new things and being part of the creative process.

Thanks!

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Anthony,
    Didn't even know you could earn a MFA online. Almost all major state universities offer MFA's,just don't know which one's do online. Art Center & CCS have Trans Masters programs, but at this point that may be the wrong direction if you're just looking for art for art's sake.

How about a non art related Masters. My MBA experience was so far outside my knowledge base & comfort zone it was a real eye opener. Most of the MFA programs always seemed geared to someone that wanted to end up teaching. What are you trying to accomplish?

I believe some of the students in the Masters program at CCS would be better served by going out and getting a job vs. staying in school. I believe you learn more in the first 6 months on the job as a designer than you can learn in 2 yrs doing a Masters. But if you have a specific outcome in mind.....go for it.

The one thing no one can ever take away from you is your education :)
    Good luck!!!

3. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I'd be interested in online MFA programs as well having nearly completed a ba in the past it seems unlikely these would exist but what do I know? Surely someone offers one. When I attended BSU they had an MFA program that essentially paid for itself through an internship with the printing press there I believe might be worth figuring out the time for classes and an internship to offset costs? Often night classes or weekend classes can be options as well