Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Creative Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Canine Design

Residential design has been often described as Canine Design, picture a group of dogs in a circle sniffing each other's butts. This picture is a graphic example of extremely bad canine design. It makes me embarrassed to say I used to be a home builder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BN-RB152_SUBURB_M_20161202154100.jpg (70.8 KB, 254 views)
Old 12-04-2016, 06:09 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Where is that?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Canine Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Where is that?

Outside Birmingham Al

Ugly, huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 02:12 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

That is how it is supposed to look from the alley. But since this is from the front, WTF?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

We call them baby snouts. "Someday I'm going to go up to be as big as my garage."
Old 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

On top of the ugly architecture is the ever increasing size issue. Yes, avg. square footage has increased since post WWII etc. All those pre war and early post war houses in River Oaks are being replaced by houses twice the size. This where the avg. household has grown smaller and the houses when built in River Oaks were larger than the average at the time since River Oaks is the wealthiest part of Houston.

The new larger homes use chintzier materials like EIFS and peel and stick stone vs brick and old school wire lathe stucco. I've also seen infill inside the loop modern townhomes less than 10 years old already starting to unravel. Dumbest thing I've seen by these builders is the lack of or minimal use of eaves. This is Houston. We get lots of rain.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
On top of the ugly architecture is the ever increasing size issue. .
It takes real talent and experience to build on smaller lots. I'm going to guess the lots in that picture may be 60 foot, or even 50. If you know what you doing, you can design really cool high density stuff on smaller lots. They have been doing this in California for years. Over 10 years ago, the lots above Crystal Cove in Laguna Beach were going for $1MM an acre. You have to get creative to make those numbers work. But what you can't do is cram the SOS onto smaller lots. At the minimum, try swing-in garages.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Forever View Post
At the minimum, try swing-in garages.
Those lots are probably too narrow to do that.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 12-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcar View Post
Those lots are probably too narrow to do that.

You'd have to go to zero lot lines. This may sound crazy, but you can basket weave the lots to have a swing in on the wide front lot and a detached garage behind the house on the wide back lot. If I knew how to draw here, I'd show you

Old 12-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jerry
My Garage
I cant understand who buys those sardine houses. Id rather go get a total dump fixer-upper that had enough lot to someday do something with it.

The people that buy these must be the same ones that hold meaningless middle management jobs.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anunakki View Post
I cant understand who buys those sardine houses. Id rather go get a total dump fixer-upper that had enough lot to someday do something with it.

The people that buy these must be the same ones that hold meaningless middle management jobs.
Sadly, in many markets, there are no good options. All the production builders build the same old stuff because that's what they do. Buyers typically look for the biggest house they can afford. The result is predictable.

What's worse is when the crunch comes (and it will come), these are the houses that will fall the most. The reality is we have already built all the Boomer McMansions we will ever need.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Zacharias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Forever View Post
You'd have to go to zero lot lines. This may sound crazy, but you can basket weave the lots to have a swing in on the wide front lot and a detached garage behind the house on the wide back lot. If I knew how to draw here, I'd show you

draw it in any program and save as jpg format. then attach the file to your post. would be very interested to see what you mean.

thanks.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:09 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: James
My friends bought a place in this neighborhood. I went and stopped by while travelling through and what a neat concept for a neighborhood.

Home - Tucker Hill : Tucker Hill

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tu....7114998?hl=en
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (48.5 KB, 143 views)
Old 12-23-2016, 03:53 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Are those oil storage tanks next door?
Old 05-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: David
Quote:
That is how it is supposed to look from the alley. But since this is from the front, WTF?

Looks like the "front" of these face a golf course or something.

I see siding houses like this in Illinois.
Crazy stupid expensive houses.

Thank Gawd for Texas
Old 05-25-2017, 08:22 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Interesting thread . we are currently building in two communities in our area that consist of very high end homes(for our area) on VERY small lots some as small as 40 X 80 . They are both beach communities and we are building coastal homes . This is a design concept that we have been building for close to 15 years .. each home is very carefully designed to ensure the community has a great street view in fact the exterior presentation is looked at from a community standpoint (all four sides)that is each house must be different then the ones near it but still complimentary...to each ...
In another home product we build is traditional all brick homes on traditional lots. uniquely we offer all brick exteriors at the same price as the siding .....(for real). amazing to me the number of people that pick siding (because it is a popular look now.......)
Just thought I would add this.....
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Ralph Edwards
Pearls covered this thread today...😜
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1571.jpg (74.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodude View Post
Pearls covered this thread today...😜
Ironic. I was thinking of this thread today and wondering if I ever posted it in the car design section. Because Canine Design really applies to cars.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYH View Post
Interesting thread . we are currently building in two communities in our area that consist of very high end homes(for our area) on VERY small lots some as small as 40 X 80 . They are both beach communities and we are building coastal homes . This is a design concept that we have been building for close to 15 years .. each home is very carefully designed to ensure the community has a great street view in fact the exterior presentation is looked at from a community standpoint (all four sides)that is each house must be different then the ones near it but still complimentary...to each ...
In another home product we build is traditional all brick homes on traditional lots. uniquely we offer all brick exteriors at the same price as the siding .....(for real). amazing to me the number of people that pick siding (because it is a popular look now.......)
Just thought I would add this.....
BRAVO! I'm serious. Anytime a builder actually THINKS about the impact of what they're doing is a cause for celebration. Keep up the good work. Most builders just say, "Pull out plan 2356 and 2734. They will work."

A great builder not only creates value, but improves the value of the surrounding community. This is the genius of Duany. In Seaside, he created value inside his development, which led to values of the surrounding areas to going through the roof. I know, because I have family in the area going back generations. Before Duany and Seaside, you couldn't give that land away.