Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Detailing & Showroom

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1201  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Scotland
Full Name: Peter
Posts: 193
Erik, how many F1 have 'lived' in Scotland? I know of Kinch's car but have been told there were perhaps three at one time.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #1202  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Peloton25's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California, USA
Full Name: Erik
Posts: 6,856
That's the only one I am aware of. There are a lot of cars in the UK but people rarely speak of their specific locations. I've heard that Gordon Murray has a place in the North, but perhaps not as far as Scotland.

>8^)
ER
Reply With Quote
  #1203  
Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Mr. Francesco's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: never never land
Full Name: Mr. Francesco
Posts: 4,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
This past week two new photos surfaced - one of the Japanese F1 GT (58F1GT) and one of the F1 GT prototype (56XPGT). Certainly a worthy reason to bump this thread I thought, since pics of these longtail road cars are so very rare.

Enjoy!

>8^)
ER
Both are lovely
Reply With Quote
  #1204  
Old 02-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
F1 headlight variations

Hey, Peloton. I don't know weather you've yet provided any insight on the minor subject I'm about to address, but if you have, sorry to request that you repeat. It's easy to spend hours browsing this thread so I tend to skip through some stuff.

In these two pictures, the silver F1 next to Mr. Atkinson's has headlights unlike any of the other F1s pictured. What's the deal with these lights? Are they a custom options or are they a style derived from a certain GTR or Longtail? It appears to me that this is just an F1 with a High Downforce Kit, like the black one next to it. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, what are the panels directly above the headlights on F1s? Are they to be removed in order to access the headlight electricals? Might the panels have a specific name?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Paul

Edit: For some reason the pictures didn't attach. Will repost, hopefully with pictures this time.
Reply With Quote
  #1205  
Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Here are the pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28042010190.jpg (258.6 KB, 1104 views)
File Type: jpg mclaren-f1-20th-2.jpg (54.8 KB, 1101 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1206  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sussex
Full Name: Adam
Posts: 913
Possibly a HID/Xenon conversion? I'm sure Peloton can give you an answer, though.
Reply With Quote
  #1207  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Peloton25's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California, USA
Full Name: Erik
Posts: 6,856
I know the car you are speaking of - it is chassis #059. I've tried several different sources to get a real answer on the origins of the headlamps on that particular car as it's the only F1 that looks like that - so far no luck.

They were fitted from new, even before the car was upgraded with the High Downforce Kit and they are a significant change given that the headlamp lens and the panel above it are both different in size. Whether this was done to accommodate the owner's particular tastes, or as a byproduct of fitting the HID setup that was installed behind them is really the main question in my mind. As for the rest of the car as far as I know there is nothing else particularly special about it beyond the fact that it is a McLaren F1.

As for the panel, "Driving Ambition" has a page that labels all the parts - they call that one the 'Headlamp Eyebrow'. It is removeable - for access behind the headlamp, but one owner located in region with a rather tropical climate was instructed he could remove them to improve the car's cooling during heavy use at a track day.

Here's a close up of #059's unique headlamps.

>8^)
ER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 059headlamp.jpg (34.1 KB, 1082 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1208  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Thanks, Peloton. Now that I think of it, the lights sort of remind me of those on the Ameritech F1, but I'm sure they aren't it. Personally, I actually prefer 059's lights over the conventional F1 headlights. Anyways, do you know who 059 belonged to originally, or at least who it belongs to now? Has it ever even changed hands?

I have a few more questions...

If I am not mistaken, Dan Kennedy's F1 was for sale at one point. In an advertisement, it says his car features "upgraded A/C". What is upgraded about it? More vents or something? Do you have any pictures of the interior of this car?

You know the rare, high-mounted "wing" mirrors on some F1s. Is it possible for F1 owners to still have their cars fitted with these mirrors?

Did every standard F1 come with a Valentine One? Did every F1 come as standard with a Kenwood stereo system?

How many different styles of interiors, passenger seats, etc. are there for the standard F1s? I've seen at least 2 types of steering wheels (one with thin grips and all smooth leather and a Nardi emblem at the bottom, the other with slightly thicker grips and what looks to be perforated or cross-hatched rubber in the center), and at least 3 different styles of passenger seats in normal F1s (in pictures, of course). Are there specific names or identification codes/numbers for the different versions of components such as steering wheels? When an F1 owner takes their car to have the interior re-furbished/upholstered, can they basically point to a component and name what material and colour they would like it to be, or are there pre-set styles and materials for things such as seats, seat belts/harnesses, steering wheels, etc.? Do you know if there is a video of a rebuild of an F1 interior, or at least a description of the process and options?

I have noticed on the mclarenshop website that they are selling copies of Driving Ambition for $119.00 each. Do you know anything about this? I'm sure they're not originals - maybe reprints of the "standard" edition? Which edition(s) do you own?

-Paul

Last edited by pauli353; 02-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #1209  
Old 02-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Steering wheels 1 and 2, and some different passenger seat types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (59.2 KB, 1062 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (67.3 KB, 1060 views)
File Type: jpg f1_aero_blk_interior.jpg (24.3 KB, 1060 views)
File Type: jpg mclaren_005.jpg (54.9 KB, 1059 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1210  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tenerife,Alicante
Full Name: Adonai
Posts: 517
that passenger seat is the LM look
Reply With Quote
  #1211  
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Peloton25's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California, USA
Full Name: Erik
Posts: 6,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli353 View Post
Thanks, Peloton. Now that I think of it, the lights sort of remind me of those on the Ameritech F1, but I'm sure they aren't it. Personally, I actually prefer 059's lights over the conventional F1 headlights. Anyways, do you know who 059 belonged to originally, or at least who it belongs to now? Has it ever even changed hands?
#059 is likely still with its original owner though I did hear some murmurings of it possibly being for sale last year.

Quote:
I have a few more questions...

If I am not mistaken, Dan Kennedy's F1 was for sale at one point. In an advertisement, it says his car features "upgraded A/C". What is upgraded about it? More vents or something? Do you have any pictures of the interior of this car?
Several cars have the upgraded A/C - it includes a larger condenser and extra vents in the dash. Cars without it have only two vents at the outer-most position on the lower dash. It's a common upgrade though so two-vent cars are becoming more rare.

Quote:
You know the rare, high-mounted "wing" mirrors on some F1s. Is it possible for F1 owners to still have their cars fitted with these mirrors?
That's a question for McLaren to answer. It requires them to build a new set of doors for the car. I am sure its within their abilities to do so, but it has been many years since they have. #040, #050 and #071 were originally built that way and #055 and #074 had new doors supplied to upgrade them to the high mirror configuration.

Quote:
Did every standard F1 come with a Valentine One? Did every F1 come as standard with a Kenwood stereo system?
The stereo system from Kenwood was standard in the road cars, the cars you see with the built-in Valentine One's were done as custom additions at a particular owner's request.

Quote:
How many different styles of interiors, passenger seats, etc. are there for the standard F1s? I've seen at least 2 types of steering wheels (one with thin grips and all smooth leather and a Nardi emblem at the bottom, the other with slightly thicker grips and what looks to be perforated or cross-hatched rubber in the center), and at least 3 different styles of passenger seats in normal F1s (in pictures, of course). Are there specific names or identification codes/numbers for the different versions of components such as steering wheels? When an F1 owner takes their car to have the interior re-furbished/upholstered, can they basically point to a component and name what material and colour they would like it to be, or are there pre-set styles and materials for things such as seats, seat belts/harnesses, steering wheels, etc.? Do you know if there is a video of a rebuild of an F1 interior, or at least a description of the process and options?
I'm going to leave this question for now as it requires a fairly complicated answer. I'll get back to it though.

Quote:
I have noticed on the mclarenshop website that they are selling copies of Driving Ambition for $119.00 each. Do you know anything about this? I'm sure they're not originals - maybe reprints of the "standard" edition? Which edition(s) do you own?

-Paul
The retail copy of the book went through two reprint cycles after its initial publishing in 1999. I did see those copies become available from McLarenshop.com again and the price is significantly better than what they've been selling for on Ebay so it is a good time to pick one up. I don't believe that Virgin Books have reprinted it a third time or we'd be seeing copies available in other outlets as well. Hard to say where this new supply has come from but I would not expect them to last long.

I own four copies of the standard retail edition - two from the original printing, one still in the wrapper - and then also have one copy of the Limited Edition which is leather bound and has an extra 136 pages of content. The Limited Edition is a much better book in every respect, but price wise it is no bargain.

>8^)
ER
Reply With Quote
  #1212  
Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Thank you very much, Peloton. I greatly respect the fact that you always take the time to answer everyone's questions in such a detailed, uniformed, and kind manner.

I will stay tuned for the interior explanations.

Please excuse me as I go buy a copy of Driving Ambition

-Paul
Reply With Quote
  #1213  
Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
mattymouse33's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: We'll set aboot ye!
Full Name: Matthew
Posts: 4,579
The F1 is still the best car in the world, FACT! Everything about it, the central seating, stupid power, gorgeous looks, awesome doors, quirky side luggage areas, the gold in the engine bay, it is all so unique and all works so well. No other car like it in my opinion
Reply With Quote
  #1214  
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
F430addict's Avatar
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymouse33 View Post
The F1 is still the best car in the world, FACT! Everything about it, the central seating, stupid power, gorgeous looks, awesome doors, quirky side luggage areas, the gold in the engine bay, it is all so unique and all works so well. No other car like it in my opinion
Can't argue with that. Nothing comes close...so far.
Reply With Quote
  #1215  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 42,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymouse33 View Post
The F1 is still the best car in the world, FACT! Everything about it, the central seating, stupid power, gorgeous looks, awesome doors, quirky side luggage areas, the gold in the engine bay, it is all so unique and all works so well. No other car like it in my opinion
I think it's hard to argue with that.
Reply With Quote
  #1216  
Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Senna1994's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orange County, CA
Full Name: Tony
Posts: 12,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymouse33 View Post
The F1 is still the best car in the world, FACT! Everything about it, the central seating, stupid power, gorgeous looks, awesome doors, quirky side luggage areas, the gold in the engine bay, it is all so unique and all works so well. No other car like it in my opinion
+1
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #1217  
Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 29
Spotted this on a detail forum.



Here's the link : http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...-concierge.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old010.jpg (75.9 KB, 662 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1218  
Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LONDON, UK
Full Name: Chip
Posts: 97
This car used to belong to Paul Stewart (son of Jackie). My friend had it in his workshop for a while. From memory, the driver's seat was modified for a taller driver. It was then exported from the UK to South Africa.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
I know the car you are speaking of - it is chassis #059. I've tried several different sources to get a real answer on the origins of the headlamps on that particular car as it's the only F1 that looks like that - so far no luck.

They were fitted from new, even before the car was upgraded with the High Downforce Kit and they are a significant change given that the headlamp lens and the panel above it are both different in size. Whether this was done to accommodate the owner's particular tastes, or as a byproduct of fitting the HID setup that was installed behind them is really the main question in my mind. As for the rest of the car as far as I know there is nothing else particularly special about it beyond the fact that it is a McLaren F1.

As for the panel, "Driving Ambition" has a page that labels all the parts - they call that one the 'Headlamp Eyebrow'. It is removeable - for access behind the headlamp, but one owner located in region with a rather tropical climate was instructed he could remove them to improve the car's cooling during heavy use at a track day.

Here's a close up of #059's unique headlamps.

>8^)
ER
Reply With Quote
  #1219  
Old 03-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Peloton25's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California, USA
Full Name: Erik
Posts: 6,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99F355 View Post
This car used to belong to Paul Stewart (son of Jackie). My friend had it in his workshop for a while. From memory, the driver's seat was modified for a taller driver. It was then exported from the UK to South Africa.
Actually not the case. Paul owned a very similar looking car, but his F1 chassis was #023 and it did not have the unique headlamps mentioned. #023 has a unique look of its own, as its version of the High Downforce Kit has a narrower nosepiece lacking the fender flares found on all the others and a narrower front splitter as well. The car is able to retain the original 17" OZ wheels because of this unlike all other HDF Kitted F1s which run the 18" OZs.

Pictured below is #023 and you can also find some other nice images of it in this Flickr gallery taken inside the Franschhoek Motor Museum in South Africa.

Prior to Paul getting his hands on this car it belonged to Liam Howlett of The Prodigy who had been the one to have McLaren respray the car in Silver from its original British Racing Green and then later fit the High Downforce Kit.

>8^)
ER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarel20van20der20Merwe20-20McLaren2.jpg (72.9 KB, 615 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1220  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10
New Photo

Has anyone seen this photo before? I suspect this was Elon Musk's McLaren F1, which has moved on to new ownership. Anyone know the serial number?

This photo was included in a SpaceX newsletter celebrating the company's 10 year anniversary, which documented the company's history including securing their first manufacturing facility in El Segundo, CA around 2002.

Link here: http://www.spacex.com/updates.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elon McLaren.jpg (130.9 KB, 954 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.