Bug remover recommendations | FerrariChat

Bug remover recommendations

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jack-the-lad, Jun 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, it's summer and here in Florida that means bug season. Does anyone have recommendations on bug removers? My main criteria are ease of use and, of course, effectiveness.

Also, any suggestions for using some type of application on a clean car that makes it easier to remove the bugs after I've hit them?

Thanks!

Jack.

2. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    I would love to know of a good remover as well, but I can give you the hints that my Clear Bra people suggested:

1. Rubbing alcohol for removing bug remains from Clear Bra
    2. Coat Clear Bra with a wax called Rejex and the bugs should just wipe off. I have found this to be pretty accurate on my Aston & Lambo. Haven't tried it on a non clear-bra'd car. The Rejex is easy to apply & remove and pretty reasonably priced. Easy to find at boat stores or True Value hardware stores.

Good luck!

3. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Charles.

Does anyone here know if those products would be as effective on clearcoat as they have been for Charles's clear bra? I'll check the label on Rejex but would be hesitant to put alcohol on a clearcoat painted surface without some more info.

Jack.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Use 0, 00, 000 steel wool on the windshield. Never on headlight covers. They are plastic. :eek:

I use Windex on the bugs and follow it with McGuire's Quick Detailer. Then Zymol wax if needed. (smells like bananas and make you hungry but worth it!)

5. yvesolution

yvesolution Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Cabo Verde
    I use swissvax products, and the simple fact of washing the car removes all
    the bugs, no need to apply another product!! It is that simple!

6. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Which Swissvax products do you use?

7. pro-tect mobile

Jul 5, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Thom
    Rubbing alchohol is nto intended for all clear bras. On some films it will actually ruin the finish of the film. I HIGHLY recommend you ask your installer before applying IPA to the bra to makee sure the film will handle it.

For bugs I keep a spray bottle of baby shampoo and water in my vehicle. After making a road trip spray it on the front and let it soak for a second. It softens them up and makes them very easy to wipe off. If you keep a good coat of sealant or wax on the vehicle it will help tremendously... especially in Florida where all the love bugs are.

8. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Keep in mind that when you use a harsh cleaner to remove bugs, you may be removing any wax or sealant underneath. If you wash the car right away, they should come off pretty easily without the use of bug removers.

But if they're on there for a while and you need to use a more aggressive method, then be prepared to freshen up your wax or sealant.

Another option would be to have one of the new, durable coatings applied to your paint. On daily drivers, they'll last 18+ months, and they make cleaning much easier since contaminants don't stick to the surface nearly as well. There's a whole new world of polymer and glass-based coatings being applied by professional detailers today...think of it as sealants on steroids.

Using isopropyl alcohol to wipe it down won't harm the paint, but it will definitely remove your wax and / or sealants (but it won't remove coatings).

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Todd. Can you provide some details about the coatings you mentioned (brand names, etc)? That might be the way for me to go.

Jack

10. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Turtle wax bug and tar remover.

11. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    +1. Leaves a nice wax shine, too.

12. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Funny, I saw this thread headline and was going to advise the same thing.

That stuff works great, also the Turtle Wax chrome polish I have works better than any other.

13. yvesolution

yvesolution Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Cabo Verde
    I bought the entry level kit, it covers most works. It is not that expensive. Tomorrow I will post a picture of a car I applied Swissvax!!

14. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Jack...22ple Glass Coating, Optimum Opti-Coat, GTechnique EVO, etc.

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Todd.

16. yvesolution

yvesolution Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Cabo Verde
    #16 yvesolution, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jack,

Here are as promoised the pictures of the bodywork of a BMW 540 I did a few years ago!
    On the left side (on the first 2 pictures) you see the almost finished result with Swissvax and on the right side as it was before...
    The third picture shows the finished result, no mocked up picture of a sales brochure
    just an amateur picture. The result was surprising because the car hadn't seen snow/salt or
    even rain before, it is a weekend and holiday car ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very nice. Thanks!

Jack.

18. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    I use fabric softeners in little bottles of degreasers and the bugs come right up.

19. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just get some cloths and dip them in warm/hot water and lay them the area for a minute or 2 whilst you wash another part of the car then just wash as normal - no need for special chemicals or hard scrubbing :)

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I've had good success with bug removal with a product called "Tarminator." I've also used the Maguire's Quick Detailer, and that works pretty good too. With the Tarminator, I always clean up afterwards with the Quick Detailer to be sure all the residue is gone and the car shines up nicely. And the Tarminator is great at removing those black marks as well.

BTW, for the glass, I use a product called Invisible Glass. It gets all the dead bugs and other road stuff off, and leaves the glass crystal clear.

21. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Greg
    you put liquid fabric softeners and degreasers together? Can you explain in more depth?

Cheers,
    GREG

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Bumping for new products and recommendations.

Jack

23. gaspump

gaspump Karting
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2013
    SE indiana
    Full Name:
    bill
    I've heard from a friend that if you spray BleachWhite on the front on a car, the bugs will come off easily. Leave it on for only about 10 minutes, then spray it off. If not, don't call me.

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Great. When your friend tries it on his car let us know the results.

:)

25. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I go to a you squirt it car wash. 5 bucks for 10 minutes. Plenty of time to car soap blast off the bugs and switch to clear rinse. Micro towel off and then a little finishing spray polish for a deep shine. GTS Bruce