Leather cleaners - Lexol vs Leatherique | FerrariChat

Leather cleaners - Lexol vs Leatherique

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by TrojanFan, Sep 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Any one have experience with Lexol vs Leatherique? I hear good things about Leatherique however the shop that recovered the seats in my 355 recommends Lexol and didn't know anything about Leatherique products. The shop is well known in Los Angeles and has been doing car interiors since 1945 so they should know something.

Just wanted to see if anyone had good or bad experiences with either of the products.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    There have been some good and some bad reports of Leatherique on FChat. Personally, I would go with Lexol.

3. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I don't think of leatherique as a cleaner. It's more of a once a year conditioner. I keep lexol in the trunk in case of a scuff or dirt mark, although leatherique probably recommends against it.

Before using leatherique they recommend cleaning stray marks using a diluted mix of ammonia, alcohol, and water. Their cleaner is actually used to remove the sticky conditioner and whatever is extracted during the process, and not so much to clean the seats.
    Dave

4. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    I've been using Lexol for years and its a good all-around product. There is a cleaner and a conditioner. I also use Hide Food occasionally for a deep-conditioning treatment, but that is a heavier, more viscous product and 1-2x a year is good for Hide Food. Lexol you can use as part of your regular vehicle detailing routine.

I have never used Leatherique but from what I've read it has more applications for dying or correcting flaws/damaged leather as opposed to standard detailing. So, different application. But, again, I have not used it so wouldn't want to opine on it.

ketel

5. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I've used Leatherique with mixed reviews. It certainly made the leather a bit more supple on my seats at least.
    However, I haven't been able to get it to work really well on the door panels. It always appears streaked no matter the amount I use on it and how much I wipe it off.

I've resorted to some lexol on the door panels with a bit more success.

6. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had the same problem with the door panels on my 355. (black interior). What worked for me was not spraying "prestine clean" directly on the leather, but spraying it on a microfiber towel and then applying it. I think I ended up needing to go over the door panel with the cleaner a few times to get a nice even finish. It's a pain, but does seem to work. I've done my whole interior a couple times now.

7. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks. My leather is new so I am really looking for more of a cleaner at this point.

8. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the answers. Sounds like the Lexol is more the type of cleaning product I need at this point. Half the price of the Leatherique as well.

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Pretty much my experience. The leather became more soft but that did not really last long.

And Leatherique's customer service is beyond poor.

I did buy some product from Griot's garage but have not yet tried it.

10. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Try Griots Garage leather products, very good and they smell fantastic.

11. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #11 roadracer311, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    x599 likes this.
  12. Moiluck

Moiluck Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Moisés
    I am doing my interior right now, but using a kit from Gliptone (Liquid leather) that contains a cleaner, a conditioner, a degreasant, a gloss enhacer and a color match dye that can be applyed by sponge, brush, or what I'm going to do, spraying.

I've got the seats and some parts of the interior now ready for dying, so I will report the results when everything done.

13. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I like Lexol Cleaner but not the leather treatment. For that I use Zymol Treat. Don't like Hide Food because I want to preserve the leather but not make it more supple than stock. Lexol seems to treat the surface. Leatherique is too expensive. There was an article about which products to use on what type of leather. It depended how it was dyed. BMW's always panned Hide Food for that reason.

14. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Call these guys. They know more about maintaining and reconditioning leather than most.

They maintain Air Force One for starters.

They have a line of products as well

Leather Institute: Home

15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am using a Griots product and it is nice but I am on the lookout for something that is easier to apply and wipe off that leaves an even sheen without too much rubbing. The Griots is close though and I may stick with it a while longer. The owners manual says to treat the leather 3-4 times a year so you want it to be something you enjoy using! There is a lot of leather to cover and getting it on the glass, to me, is the worst part of the drill.

16. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Zaino Bros. have the best stuff for new leather. The cleaner and the conditioner are top shelf products. The conditioner has the smell of new leather. Used it today in the Porsche. :)

17. 355rockit

355rockit Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2010
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Vas
    I use Leather Honey every couple of months and for routine cleaning I use Prima Nourish.

18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Have used the Leatherique renew and cleaner. Seems to work fineand makes my hands soft

Been meaning to try the lexol I here its the best from all my friends that keep their car clean

:)

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    any pictures?

20. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have had good results with Leatherique. Had to clean and dye the leather

21. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Tim:

Are you going to Vince's on the 21st? I'll have some Lexol with me if you want to give it a try.

22. Speedwayspyder

Speedwayspyder Karting

Dec 25, 2012
    New Smyrna Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    I use "Voodoo Blend Leather Rejuvenator", by Surf city garage. It has lanolin and beeswax that smells like new leather. It restores, conditions older leather and gives longlasting waterproofing.

www.surfcitygarage.com

23. dbfitz

dbfitz Rookie

Jun 1, 2012
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis F
    I've used both.
    FWIW, Leatherique seemed to work better on lighter colored and/or German interiors. Lexol worked better on the Italians. Why, or what that means, I dunno. Maybe you just have to mix and match to your preference (cost, of course, can be a pretty important factor too). And in case anyone was wondering, I've never seen any product work better than Leatherique on rejuvenating a baseball glove.

24. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    imo...leatherique products far better than lexol

step 1 is to apply the 'rejuvenator oil' (easiest w a foam paint brush...then rub in w gloves and let sit...overnight ok)

step 2 is to use leatherique 'prestine clean'...apply w microfiber foam pad...wipe down w damp microfiber towel...then lightly buff with dry microfiber towel.

nothing like it.

25. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    Mr. Clean disposable sponges work great on leather. Recommended by National Porsche Concourse judges. l tried it and they are amazing you just dip in water and that is all you have to do. Just wipe the leather with the sponge. Works great.