Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Detailing & Showroom

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Peter-Verified owner
Leather cleaners - Lexol vs Leatherique

Any one have experience with Lexol vs Leatherique? I hear good things about Leatherique however the shop that recovered the seats in my 355 recommends Lexol and didn't know anything about Leatherique products. The shop is well known in Los Angeles and has been doing high end car interiors since 1945 so they should know something.

Just wanted to see if anyone had good or bad experiences with either of the products.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave W
I don't think of leatherique as a cleaner. It's more of a once a year conditioner. I keep lexol in the trunk in case of a scuff or dirt mark, although leatherique probably recommends against it.

Before using leatherique they recommend cleaning stray marks using a diluted mix of ammonia, alcohol, and water. Their cleaner is actually used to remove the sticky conditioner and whatever is extracted during the process, and not so much to clean the seats.
Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Peter-Verified owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebdave View Post
I don't think of leatherique as a cleaner. It's more of a once a year conditioner. I keep lexol in the trunk in case of a scuff or dirt mark, although leatherique probably recommends against it.

Before using leatherique they recommend cleaning stray marks using a diluted mix of ammonia, alcohol, and water. Their cleaner is actually used to remove the sticky conditioner and whatever is extracted during the process, and not so much to clean the seats.
Dave
Thanks. My leather is new so I am really looking for more of a cleaner at this point.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:59 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: sindo
Try Griots Garage leather products, very good and they smell fantastic.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindo308qv View Post
Try Griots Garage leather products, very good and they smell fantastic.
I am using a Griots product and it is nice but I am on the lookout for something that is easier to apply and wipe off that leaves an even sheen without too much rubbing. The Griots is close though and I may stick with it a while longer. The owners manual says to treat the leather 3-4 times a year so you want it to be something you enjoy using! There is a lot of leather to cover and getting it on the glass, to me, is the worst part of the drill.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Zaino Bros. have the best stuff for new leather. The cleaner and the conditioner are top shelf products. The conditioner has the smell of new leather. Used it today in the Porsche.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kook Abides View Post
Zaino Bros. have the best stuff for new leather. The cleaner and the conditioner are top shelf products. The conditioner has the smell of new leather. Used it today in the Porsche.
any pictures?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

imo...leatherique products far better than lexol

step 1 is to apply the 'rejuvenator oil' (easiest w a foam paint brush...then rub in w gloves and let sit...overnight ok)

step 2 is to use leatherique 'prestine clean'...apply w microfiber foam pad...wipe down w damp microfiber towel...then lightly buff with dry microfiber towel.

nothing like it.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Mr. Clean disposable sponges work great on leather. Recommended by National Porsche Concourse judges. l tried it and they are amazing you just dip in water and that is all you have to do. Just wipe the leather with the sponge. Works great.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Alex Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanFan View Post
Any one have experience with Lexol vs Leatherique? I hear good things about Leatherique however the shop that recovered the seats in my 355 recommends Lexol and didn't know anything about Leatherique products. The shop is well known in Los Angeles and has been doing high end car interiors since 1945 so they should know something.

Just wanted to see if anyone had good or bad experiences with either of the products.
I use all three, Lexol, Leatherique, and Griots Garage. All are good products and actually pretty similar in results. Lexol cleaner and conditioner is easy to use and apply, leaves a nice scent too, almost like the new leather smell. Leatherique conditioner takes a little more effort to apply.

I can't say that one is amazingly better than the other. My rotation is usually Leatherique once or twice a year, and then Lexol or Griots in between.

If your shop recommends Lexol and obviously they see a lot of leather, then you should probably use it. Lexol products are usually readily available, easy to use, and effective.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Drake
Has anyone tried Connolly Hide Food? I believe it was recommended also.
Drake
Old 09-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jim G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxlee View Post
I use all three, Lexol, Leatherique, and Griots Garage. All are good products and actually pretty similar in results. Lexol cleaner and conditioner is easy to use and apply, leaves a nice scent too, almost like the new leather smell. Leatherique conditioner takes a little more effort to apply.

I can't say that one is amazingly better than the other. My rotation is usually Leatherique once or twice a year, and then Lexol or Griots in between.

If your shop recommends Lexol and obviously they see a lot of leather, then you should probably use it. Lexol products are usually readily available, easy to use, and effective.
Has anybody mixed lexol and leatherique these on older leather (1975)? The lexol stuff is so easy to pick up and I've been procrastinating for yrs on ordering leatherique with other fixes that I'd rather do frankly. Has anybody done this?.....lex and then leatherique later on on old leather?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Richard
Both

I have used both and both work well. The process is different but both yield good results.

On my '79 with red leather, I have used both together. There were some areas which really needed help, no scratches but fading and dirt. The Leatherique did not clean as well as I would have liked and thus I used the Lexol that is and acts like a cleaner. (Note, I really need to have the leather redyed because it is faded in some areas.)

Lexol is quicker and I use it on newer leather.

On Leatherique, I have heard from many that for the best result, apply the rejuvenator and leave the car in the sun (top on) for the day. The rejenenator sinks in and then is cleaned off with the cleaner. I have used a heater in the car for this purpose as well.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Thanks-this is great-I think I've heard the Leatherique trick with leaving the car in the sun-maybe a product review or somewhere. I have to pick up some Lexol- everything I've heard is it's easy and that would be great at least for now
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Rocco
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake123 View Post
Has anyone tried Connolly Hide Food? I believe it was recommended also.
Drake
I found it ok to put on but a pain to remove.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Alex Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG333SP View Post
Has anybody mixed lexol and leatherique these on older leather (1975)? The lexol stuff is so easy to pick up and I've been procrastinating for yrs on ordering leatherique with other fixes that I'd rather do frankly. Has anybody done this?.....lex and then leatherique later on on old leather?
I'd go the opposite...Leatherique first, and then Lexol later. Leatherique seems "sink" in a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkljr View Post
I have used both and both work well. The process is different but both yield good results.

On my '79 with red leather, I have used both together. There were some areas which really needed help, no scratches but fading and dirt. The Leatherique did not clean as well as I would have liked and thus I used the Lexol that is and acts like a cleaner. (Note, I really need to have the leather redyed because it is faded in some areas.)

Lexol is quicker and I use it on newer leather.

On Leatherique, I have heard from many that for the best result, apply the rejuvenator and leave the car in the sun (top on) for the day. The rejenenator sinks in and then is cleaned off with the cleaner. I have used a heater in the car for this purpose as well.
I think the instructions for Leatherique actually are for you to sit the car in the sun/heat to allow the leather to "open" up, then apply Leatherique, let it sit in the sun some more, and then buff off.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Rick
It is pretty amusing reading all the various threads on leather conditioners and cleaners. If you read some of the other threads you will find that, apparently, car leather is sealed so treatments can't actually soak in to them. I've had leather seats in cars that I've done nothing with for 10 years and they looked fine. Others says you have to keep them treated regularly. Read it all and then do what you are happy with.

Personally I've been using Chemical Guys Sprayable Leather. It basically wipes on and then buffs off and smells exactly like new leather. Is it the best stuff you can use on leather? I have no idea. It seems good and is easy to use and I like the feel and the smell of the leather after. It is radically different than dozens of other products out there? Probably not.

Rick
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbuilder View Post
It is pretty amusing reading all the various threads on leather conditioners and cleaners. If you read some of the other threads you will find that, apparently, car leather is sealed so treatments can't actually soak in to them. I've had leather seats in cars that I've done nothing with for 10 years and they looked fine. Others says you have to keep them treated regularly. Read it all and then do what you are happy with.

Personally I've been using Chemical Guys Sprayable Leather. It basically wipes on and then buffs off and smells exactly like new leather. Is it the best stuff you can use on leather? I have no idea. It seems good and is easy to use and I like the feel and the smell of the leather after. It is radically different than dozens of other products out there? Probably not.

Rick
Largely agree. If you take good care of it from the start, it is pretty easy. I have used Lexol now and then on cars I purchased new and they still look great.

Older leather that many not have been cared for is a different story. Much more work and I readily admit I am still learning.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

My buddy's wife dumped a glass of red wine on this guys couch years ago and it was never the same. Since then I stay away from messing with leather anything-but it sounds like you can mix and match these products reasonably. It's hard to believe I'm more comfortable repainting the car than spraying some oil on the seats. If nothing else it sounds like Lex has some good cleaning capabilities for my first go round with this stuff
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Todd
Hi Peter. I use both Lexol cleaner and conditioner. Cleaner works really well. Hard to tell if conditioner is really "conditioning". I also use McGuier's leather condition creme and apply by rubbing in with latex-gloved hand.