Shipping in an open trailer | FerrariChat

Shipping in an open trailer

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by drbob101, Aug 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Not sure what the best forum for this is so I'll just ask it here

My daughter just bought her first new car and is shipping it from nj to co. The shipping costs are 1200 open and 3000 closed. She is going to do open as the closed is prohibitive.

I think this time of year weather wise it will be fine but she asked me to cover the car in green painters tape. It's a 4 runner so I'm not thrilled with thst idea.

Has anyone used this stuff

TRANSPORTWRAP - Protect your Vehicle During Auto Transport with Plastic White Vinyl Wrap

Any other ideas? Thank you

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    My $.02, waste of money, unless you're shipping a shiny, freshly detailed, show ready car, which, by shipping "open" it doesn't sound that way, I would say from experience that covering the car is a waste of money/time. If it's a big carrier (I will assume @ $1,200 it will likely be a double level carrier) highly unlikely rock chips and inclement weather will do much of anything, maybe some bug splats and dust, but it should be fine. Just my opinion though.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Wow, $1200 open for about 1700 miles? Times, and prices are a-changing.

4. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Plycar charged me $1500 enclosed from Denver to CT. It's not an SUV, it's a Ferrari - so maybe the size of the car makes a difference? Plycar Transportation Group - PM me if you want my contact's name there.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree with this, and it depends on the car.
    One thing you generally get with closed is a better more careful driver though.

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Thank you. Plycar is at 1900 enclosed. Ill pass that on to my daughter.

Yes size and weight woul make a difference I would think.

7. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I would look for a few more estimates. As others have noted, it seems high.

As far as open goes, the car may get dirty but likely nothing more than dirt and grime. This past spring I had a car shipped from NC to MA and it arrived covered in road dirt because it was raining and the spray from the truck ended up on the car. I washed it off carefully and all was well.

The most I could see doing is covering the end facing forward if it was the first car on the bottom (or behind the tractors wheels).

8. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    It's a 4 Runner...it is supposed to get dirty...

9. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Maybe at the very least securely tape some cardboard or something over the windshield? An ex-gf did cheapish open transport with a Nissan Frontier from WV to CA, and the car arrived with a completely cracked and ruined windshield. Act of God, according to the shipper. She was pretty bummed as she was only 25 at the time and we were both poor.

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Richardson trucking 8595880505 he uses an open hauler. the man has been moving my Ferrari and Maserati around and I have had zero problems. use mt name when you call Mitchell Barnes. he hauls for used car dealers and collectors

11. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    done some things for us too although we do mostly enclosed..he is very good

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Thanks Mitchell. Hooked up Richardson trucking and he is doing it for her. No bargain price wise but seems like a nice man and he owns the joint if you will. Messing around with these third party people has given her an insight into bad CS for sure.

He's picking it up,tomorrow and trying to arrange meeting her at the airport in Denver which will help,her out a lot.

Thank you for the suggestion and he acknowledged you as well

Bob

13. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I have a car to ship and the number for Richardson Trucking is not working. Does anyone have a contact for them?

14. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm thinking of driving from Central CA to NY to pick up a car just in case someone wants to possibly haul a car East on my way to Long Island, NY. And share costs.
    We could discuss.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Friend uses this while on the track.
    Road Warrior Plus | Paint Protection that you ROLL ON! Car Truck RV Motorcycle Clear Bra
    I'm going to be using it on my daughters Jeep while driving cross-country in a couple wks.

16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    If this is the same Mitchell Barnes (Bundas) that is on FChat, I'm afraid he is in poor health. There are several threads on here mentioning Bundas (see New Garage…thread in Off Topics Section). He has not been heard from in a long time now.

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    just go uncovered you'll be fine