Detailing School | FerrariChat

Detailing School

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by jim94-348, Dec 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have always wanted to go to an auto detailing training and I am thinking of going to Esoteric Auto Detail. I just want this for personal knowledge and use on my Ferrari's. Does anyone have any info on this one or is there another school you would recommend?

2. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Todd Cooperider is an excellent detailer and a stand up guy! There are a few others out there as well. Autgeek has a 'bootcamp' that they do down here in Florida, and Renny Doyle has his detailing classes at Attention to Details/detailing success.

Check out all their websites, see what they offer and what you think is best for you.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them IMO.

Hope this helps!

3. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I think you'd be wasting your money. Use the $1200 to buy a polisher and a bunch of products.
    Autotopia has a lot of information.

Maybe buy a faded hood at a junk yard to familiarize yourself?

4. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    It's always a good idea to get training from skilled people in anything you want to pursue. It will shorten the learning curve and prevent a lot of mistakes, giving you a good start. I don't know about Esoteric's school but they are very knowledgeable. I have received advice from Todd in the past and he is very good at what he does.

5. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    That's an uphill battle of a career....

If you have to go this route, I would do as suggested here. Spend that money on products, some junkyard parts and start reading and watching YouTube videos. Find someone local who might let you follow him around a few times a month

6. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am not looking to do this for a career. I just love detailing cars and would like to have more knowledge on how to properly do it. Like anything else there are tips and tricks to doing this and when I am working on a high end car I am less worried about screwing it up and more worried about getting it perfect. I have spent up to 15 hours detailing the paint on just one my Ferrari's since I am a perfectionist. I have all of the tools and supplies and I even have two high end buffers so I don't need to spend money there.

I have just purchase a black 86 Testarossa that looks great but needs a full detailing. I really want to learn how to get better. The $1200 isn't an issue. I am more interested in going to a school that does a great job and teaches more than the basics. If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it.

7. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Black is the best color to "work" on and the most challenging. Start with a clay bar and spray bottle, a set of foam pads and work your way through the compound/polish levels. Hard to say more with out seeing the paint. Invest in a good flood light from harbor freight too.

I haven't restored a black car in a very long time, while a ferrari is more likely to still be in better condition to the last black car I owned. I've had better results with synthetic products. Sealant first than for the wet look a good carnuba.

Everyone is going to develope at their own rate as to what works for them and as they see their results. I've never used a wool pad though, because I too enjoy it. Time consuming but a lot safer. Especially for black.

8. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Read every article on this web page and follow every step on your own car.
    Auto Detailing Guide - Detailed Image

Now do you still think you need to attend a detailing school or clinic? There is more free information out there than you can imagine!

9. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Many years ago, to test products, and increase my detailing skills; a body shop provided me a free slightly damaged Porsche bonnet for my hands-on education. As mentioned above, lots (probably way too much info) available on-line, including YouTube.

10. tvg

tvg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2010
    I know exactly what you're saying. Even though you can learn much from watching videos or reading about techniques for detailing, having a pro teach you is even better. I don't think you'll find a better source than Todd Cooperider at Esoteric.

11. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    +599

If you can master black to where you look into it and it has no depth, you've mastered detailing in general.

12. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    No way I would pay 1200 bucks for a detail school. I suggest you find the right guy in your area. Hire him to do your car, ask him his hourly rate and ask him to tack on 2 hours to show you the finer points.

This is what I did and it worked out perfectly. I can maintain my own car in show car condition.

Bringing stuff back from the dead is easy, it's the finishing touch on the last few steps that takes the skill.

Part is knowing what to use when.

After that I attended a detail weekend at poorboys for like 5o buck and it included lunch and free products to try. Loads of knowledgable people and pros on hand to show you the ropes.

Once you know what your doing this is really very easy to get very near professional results with very few exception. Soft black or dark paint is way more difficult.

I have never gone by detail fest is suppose to be great as well