Help with 612 trim | FerrariChat

Help with 612 trim

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by r0sco, Jan 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #1 r0sco, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The "black bits" (wing mirror mounts and side skirts) on my '06 612 need work - see pics. I have watched a lot of detailing videos but have only found a brief reference to one product - 303 Aerospace protectant. Appreciate any advice on this product or something better. Is Meguiars Ultimate Protectant also an option?
    Thanks
    Ross

Wing mirror:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #2 r0sco, Jan 29, 2015
  3. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    Around the mirror it looks like the plastic has been hit with a lot of wax over time.

First, remove existing wax from the plastic and then condition or coat it. To clean, spray a horse hair brush with 1z Plastic Deep Cleaner and agitate. After it lathers up and you have wax and dirt suspended in the slurry, wipe away with a microfiber towel. Flush with water, dry, inspect and repeat as necessary.

Once it is sufficiently clean, flush with water and dry. Condition with 303 aerospace protectant (as you noted), or another quality product. I am a HUGE fan of Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus or Carpro Dlux. Dlux is a vinyl coating that requires more from you in terms of prepping and applying but lasts much longer than other conditioning options -might be best to locate a professional that is experience with Dlux if that's the route you wish to take.

Your skirt has pitting from rocks being thrown at it by the front tires. It looks like, again, wax that has made its way into the pitting. It should be able to be cleaned the same way.

Make sure you do not agitate the painted surfaces with the brush or you may find additional swirl marks and damage in your sensitive paint.

4. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Many thanks for your detailed advice, Jean Claude. That's exactly what I was hoping for.
    Cheers

5. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    No problem. It also appears that there's a wax buildup on the side mirror's clear bra edge.

That can be removed with a long bristle boar's hair brush and a quality pre-treat like p21s Total Auto Wash. Moving forward, it is possible to not get a build up on the edge of the film. You will need to adjust one or two things. If you wish to continue using the same paste or liquid wax, you should tape off the edge or use caution while applying so you do not get wax in the edge. Or, you can switch to a clear protectant, like Carpro Reload, or a coating. There are over the counter coatings as well as professional-only.

I am sure you can spend many hours cleaning up the wax build up that's all over the car. But when you're done it will look much nicer. Best of fortune to you in getting that done.

6. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks again for your observations. I have recently clay-barred, polished and waxed, and the pics were taken on the day I waxed. I need to be more careful in removing the wax build-up around the clear bra edges.
    Also, as you can see there are several stone chips on the clear bra above the side skirt and I'll probably get that replaced - it's over 8 years old so no surprise, I guess.

7. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    I would replace all of the film if it's 8 years old.

Glad I can assist.

8. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Matte black spray paint

9. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I have ordered both the 1z cleaner and the Carpro Dlux, and I'll report back how it all goes. Probably take a week or two.
    The clear bra is in good shape overall. The car spends most of its life under two covers, which limits exposure of the bra to UV.
    Thanks again.

10. r0sco

r0sco Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #10 r0sco, Feb 17, 2015
    Both products are excellent and I'm very pleased with the results. I have also used Dlux on the wheels as recommended. Thanks again to Jean-Claude.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login