Ferrari F430 engine emblem flaking | FerrariChat

Ferrari F430 engine emblem flaking

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by dvb247, Mar 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    #1 dvb247, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi there fellow Ferrari owners,
    When I look at that beautiful Ferrari F430 engine my eye is drawn to the flaking engine badge/emblem, this is now sending my OCD into overdrive :O

Has anyone restored this area? all the crackle paint will just pick off round the horse so my intension is to pick off the old flaking paint, degrease, then use some Rosso brake calliper paint and applying it with a syringe, my reason for this is the paint can settle in the reservoir without needing to sand the raised prancing horse and emblem rim?

Any advise would be very much appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Nop?? must be just my car them lol

3. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I have the same issue I was hopeful that you would get some responses

4. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    dvb: from the sound of your idea for a fix, I think that may be a good idea...perhaps your only option, as I think the intake is powder coated on your vehicle.

It should work well, although the red may not match exactly.

Keep us posted!

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    What you might do, instead of using a syringe, is carefully mask off the area outside the emblem and then use a spray can. Then carefully wipe off the the raised parts of the emblem with lacquer thinner. I would use VHT engine paint or similar.

Good luck.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This happens to 308s and 328s, as well. If you're OCD, get it removed and re-powdercoated.

7. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    Just noticed in my F430 Ferrari Owners hand book, there is a pic showing the emblem as grey/black, not red!!!
    I'll have a go in a couple of weeks when the weather picks up, also been reading about engine cleaning using Gunk green, will do that to to bring it all up the scratch.
    Only have self diagnosed OCD haha, my car is 9 years old but that doesn't put me off making it as new looking as I possibly can as an enthusiast :)

8. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    It would also be possible to spray the entire area including the horse section, then once fully cured lightly sand the raised portions until the bare aluminum shows again.