Cleaning the Engine | FerrariChat

Cleaning the Engine

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by PhilNotHill, May 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #1 PhilNotHill, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Used Search but could not find anything... Engine cleaning.

Am afraid to turn a hose on the engine. So i use engine cleaner with a spray can/bottle and remove with Windex and water (spray bottles). To reach nooks and crannies i use a barrel cleaner for a 12 guage shotgun which 3-4 feet long and about an inch in diameter. The wool or synthetic fabric has to be washed in hot soapy water to get the dirt out.

Anybody have some methods that you would like to recommend?

Thanks

BTW my 458 Spider engine seems to get dirtier than my old F355 and 360.

2. ModenaInv

ModenaInv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2014
    South West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have the same question for my 308. What cleaner is best for raw metal parts in the engine compartment such as valve covers. Blasting the engine with a hose makes me a bit nervous. Any suggestions?

3. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a steamer I use. It works great! I also use some All Purpose Cleaner (APC) and some microfiber as well as some small brushes to get into the nooks and crannies that aren't easily accessible.

I clean with the APC and brushes, and then hit it with the steamer to remove any residue/additional dirt/etc that needs to be removed.

Cleans up great!

If a steamer is not an option, then you can use any variety of waterless wash or APC for heavier areas and then 'rinse' with a spray bottle of distilled water so you lessen the chances of leaving water spots.

Finish with your choice of dressing/coating/etc and you are finished!

Hope this helps you!

4. shross

shross Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    #4 shross, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The last time I cleaned my engine, I used Scrubbing Bubbles and it left a white haze film over everything after being rinsed off - just not for me. Next time, I am just going to use "Purple Stuff" degreaser.

The Griots engine shine was REALLY good.

6. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This fellow does lots of detailing. Go to the Detail page and then look for "Engine Detail". He does some very nice work.

Detailing - Rick's Audi Double

DJ

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 msdesignltd, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  8. SizzleChest

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would stay away from any non automotive use product such as bathroom/household cleaners. These can tend to be very harsh/acidic and can possible do more harm than good.

ncjetskier seems to have had such an experience. I would say that the harsh chemicals in this cleaner, while being allowed to dwell, caused the discoloration to your engine bits/pieces.

Just my opinion is all...

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Any recommendations which brand of steamer to buy, or best place to find one?

10. SizzleChest

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dupray is one of the top notch brands. I am using a Mcculloch right now. Amazon or one of the online detailing stores carry them.

Looks at some of the reviews and that will help you decide what YOU need for what you will be using it for. You can spend some $$$ on them, that's for sure!

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I used engine cleaner the first go around and then Simple Green. I found the Simple Green worked best. I made sure to rinse off the block VERY well with water after using the Simple Green.

12. regferrari

regferrari Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    I use the water hose and my regular car wash soap, with a pure bristle round paint brush for the small corners.
    I did this with my 360 and I do the same with my 458
    no problem at all
    those engine are made to be used in the rain too
    if you use some water to rinse of your car, the water gets on your engine anyway....

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I've been very impressed with the Griot's engine cleaner. Seems to remove as much grease/grime as more aggressive products, but it won't harm alloy like some other products. I love Simple Green, but don't use it on the engine as a whole because the detailing gurus warn it can discolor some alloys.

The main concern in hosing down an engine is to make certain to cover sensitive areas/components with foil and/or plastic bags, tape, etc. That's kind of a pain to do in a mid-engine car, but still easier for me than scrubbing small areas. Blow drying with a leaf blower helps as well.

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    This is most helpful.

Thanks

15. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Ditto on the simple green. Then the next day after engine is completly dry, I warm the engine and spray Armorol on it, the next day wipe off excess with a cotton cloth. Looks showroom fresh

16. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I like the leaf blower idea (I have been using shop air) I am going to try that

17. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm no expert but I agree with this approach and have had no problems. Is there anything less caustic than good ol' H2O and if car wash soap won't hurt your paint and metal trim, it shouldn't hurt anything under the hood. Add a little brushing with a small soft brush, a terry rag or two and finish with a rinse and leaf blower and viola.

No experience with Griot's but FWIW, I'd stay away from anything that says "bathroom" on it.

18. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    Polish angel makes a spray on wipe of product called engine that cleans and protects.

19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I use a diluted APC (Grime Reaper) and a spray bottle of deionized water to rinse. I scrub where necessary using a soft detailing tool made for wheels (NO wire or metal). I dry with a microfiber wipe or towel.

The most important thing with a mid-engine car -- make sure that you are not wearing any metal on your pants or shirt, or you will end up scratching the exterior finish (even if you lean on a towel).

20. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Ernie, I would be careful with Simple Green. Make sure you use the one specifically for Aluminum, the regular Simple Green is great on Steel (acidic) but not good on Aluminum (need a base).

21. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Can you show which areas you tape off in pics for a 430 and 458? Thanks :)

22. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    Hi Felipe
    I don't think it's a problem hosing down the engine, provided you cover the the fenders, etc to prevent splashing dirt onto the paint and have car running. I have a 458 spider and it is much harder than my 458 coupe since I can't get to the front of the engine of the spider unless you take apart the roof section. However, my spider engine compartments looks brand new after 13k miles. To prevent any dirt , I cover the engine with a towel before I wash the car so a minimal amount of water gets into compartment thru the 2 vents.i then use a air hose to blow out any residual water. Dirt tends to build up in the crevices on the valve covers where water tends to settle. b careful with shotgun cleaner lol

23. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    Posted it once and I'll say it again. Polish angel engine. No hose and it leaves protection behind.

24. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
  25. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Sorry-- I have a 348, so I can't help specifically. But I try to protect any openings such as air intakes, and even the oil filler cap on some cars (I don't think that's an issue on Ferraris though). Wiring connectors and especially the alternator need to be covered. Better to be safe than to risk damaging an expensive part.

BTW, Aerospace 303 protectant is awesome stuff to use on painted and plastic surfaces after the engine is clean and dry. It drys to the touch, so it doesn't attract dust, and it has UV protectants to help keep exposed colors from fading. I recently used some in the cowl area under the wipers on my 348 and it now looks brand new. Great stuff for lots of different uses.

Best of luck cleaning your engines. Wish I could be of more help.