Waterless, Rinseless car washing | FerrariChat

Waterless, Rinseless car washing

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by rockitman, Jul 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have to admit, I was skeptical...after buying Griots waterless spray on...
    Griot's Garage Waterless Spray-On Car Wash, Griots Garage Waterless Wash, Car Wash Spray, Waterless Car Washing

And 800 pile micro fiber towels...
    Shine & Buff Waterless Wash Towel

Washing the car is fast and fun...lol

I also use a 4hp master blaster to blow out the engine bay and the entire car to blow away any loose grit, road dust prior to doing the wash. I am surprised how dirty the engine bay gets after even a 60 mile drive...serious downforce creating suction I suppose.

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    My Italia never sees water (including rain lol) except when the dealer washes her
    after a service :)

3. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Good to know. I washed my car the old fashioned way after I picked it up. I plan to do the waterless wash from now on. I won't drive in the rain either, but it's always possible to be caught by surprise.

Speaking of motor detailing, any advice on how to clean the dirt build up on the top of the red block where the spark plugs are ? There must of been an oily residue in this area as the dirt seems to be sticking and impervious to the master blaster...

4. johnwi

johnwi Karting

Nov 30, 2014
    santa monica, CA
    Be careful with that system. Its going to put swirl marks into the paint. All depends on how ocd u are!

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ATTENTION FERRARI 458 OWNERS!

The car is made of Aluminum. It doesn't rust. Water is just fine for it. I promise the car won't melt. :)

6. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian

You don't swirl the towel when wiping. The stuff is amazing if you know what you are doing...back and forth to wipe off the road dust....one panel at a time. You must blow off the car first. Water wash is a mess. I have a black car ..if I was swirling, I would see it. No micro swirl scratches on my car.

7. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    You guys are killing me!!

1st. Drive your car in the rain!! It's the best time to learn the limits of your car at low speeds. Be very careful of course, but set the manatino to CT-OFF, find an open parking lot and play. On the street, give it a little gas on a 90 degree corner and fishtail a little. This is the BEST time to learn everything about the car at low speeds.. take advantage of it

2nd. OMG, DO NOT USE this spray.. on your car! At the very least use a proper two bucket system with No Rinse.

Swirl City with this spray.

8. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA

100% agree with above. I can't believe people,think that getting the car wet will somehow hurt it.

9. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    #9 Hamishmoon, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't worry about getting it wet the snow falls off and takes any dust with it , dust in Scotland , yer kiddin me , nope im not kiddin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    You have 2 air scoops under the car, fresh air and dust get through in the engine bay

11. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Driven in sun rain and even a little light snow. I buy griots by the gallon on Amazon and have used for years on all my cars including my Italia and have NO SWIRLS. The key is to use light to no pressure on a clean towel (I use one towel for each side, one for the front and one for the back. I then use a final one to buff.

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Agreed. My 348 is not only black, but has soft single stage paint. I'm using SmartWax One on it and no scratches.. I'm not averse to washing it, but why bother if it's not all that dirty?

13. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    I would not waterless wash my car. It can damage your finish I would 2 bucket wash my car if I were you my friend. It's the safest way to wash the car.

14. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #14 JoeZaff, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    IMHO, you can scratch your car just as easily washing if you don't make sure you are drying the car properly. My MGB has been modified and has no top or Windows, so washing is a sphincter tightening operation. When my car is legitimately dirty, like after a rally or barn storming run, I will do a proper wash, but if I am just dealing with regular dust build, I go waterless. I have used Griots for a couple of years and it gets the job done as long as you load it up and use clean fresh microfibers. Usually, I spray a panel and spray a microfiber so that it is quite damp and then gingerly wipe the paint, then I spray again and wipe off with a fresh microfiber. So far no issues. Recently, the McLaren board turned me on to this spray wash called Chadwick's Triple Play. Similar in concept but so far I have been really surprised by the gloss and feel. It's like a wash/glaze/wax
    All in one. They claim it is a true wash replacement... I'm not sold on that. It is also pretty expensive, but it gave my MGB a depth that blew me away for a spray on product. It also didn't leave that haze I always get with those quick detail sprays. I was so impressed I tried it on my McLaren as a detail spray and it gave it a great wet look.

15. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the tip on the Chadwick's, Joe. That looks like very interesting stuff. It's identical in concept to the SmartWax One, which has really impressed me. So much so that I want to try the Chadwick's, just in case it's even better.

For your MGB, look into Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. It can be mixed several different ways, including as a spray cleaner. But its intended use is to add a bit to a couple of gallons of water and use that to wash your car, drying afterward with microfiber towels. A buddy just used it, followed by SmartWax One, on his black MB and the car looks freshly polished, even though it has not been (but it needs to be). I've found it to be so versatile I buy it by the gallon and dilute it for the purpose at hand, so it replaces several products for me. So maybe another tool in the toolbox for you.

Cheers,

///Mike

16. TFTADetail

TFTADetail Rookie

Jul 14, 2015
    I use ONR (Optimum No Rinse).

2 bucket method with a grit guard in each. You don't need to do this, but I also have black and am a professional auto detailer. 29 years & counting.

As mentioned above, spray a single panel at a time. You have 2 options when cleaning/washing/making contact with the paint.
    If the car isn't anything more than dusty then by all means dust it off however you normally do. If this is the case then you could use a thick microfiber towel folded at least twice over to create a thick pad between your hand and the paint. Using light pressure, wipe the product from the paint in a back and forth motion.

The other method involves the 2 bucket method for the heavier soiled car. Spray a single panel, take your wash mitt from the clean water bucket, wring it out and apply to the paint in a back and forth motion. After, rinse this mitt in the second (will be designated as the dirty water bucket), dip in the clean water bucket spray the next panel and repeat.

After the car is finished I will normally go over the paint with CQuartz Reload which is a silica based coating lasting 5-6 months using this washing process. Besides, the gloss and depth of the paint is awesome. Yes, I've machine polished it a few times. :)

Just giving my .02 stemming from my experience.

17. denver20

denver20 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    I use the Smart Polish Pro which works great, it seems pretty similar to the one you're talking about. Waterless and just clean off with the free micro fibre cloth they provide with the bottle.

Waterless Wash & Wax Formula | Smart Polish Pro

18. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Has anyone used or researched this product (CHADWICK'S TRIPLE PLAY, a water-less wash product) . A friend of mine has used it on his 430 for two solid years, (red color) and it is in absolutely perfection. I'd like some other comments prior to me using it.

TIA

19. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Look four posts above yours.

Search is your friend.

20. shubchs

shubchs Karting

Aug 22, 2015
    Saint Paul MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Mike. search is indeed a friend!

21. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #21 JoeZaff, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    It is ABSOLUTELY amazing stuff!!!!!

Here is my quote from earlier in the thread...as I don't know how to double quote! :(

"IMHO, you can scratch your car just as easily washing if you don't make sure you are drying the car properly. My MGB has been modified and has no top or Windows, so washing is a sphincter tightening operation. When my car is legitimately dirty, like after a rally or barn storming run, I will do a proper wash, but if I am just dealing with regular dust build, I go waterless. I have used Griots for a couple of years and it gets the job done as long as you load it up and use clean fresh microfibers. Usually, I spray a panel and spray a microfiber so that it is quite damp and then gingerly wipe the paint, then I spray again and wipe off with a fresh microfiber. So far no issues. Recently, the McLaren board turned me on to this spray wash called Chadwick's Triple Play. Similar in concept but so far I have been really surprised by the gloss and feel. It's like a wash/glaze/wax
    All in one. They claim it is a true wash replacement... I'm not sold on that. It is also pretty expensive, but it gave my MGB a depth that blew me away for a spray on product. It also didn't leave that haze I always get with those quick detail sprays. I was so impressed I tried it on my McLaren as a detail spray and it gave it a great wet look"

22. markboj

markboj Karting

Nov 3, 2004
    Australia

You'd have to be joking surely? Maybe have a closer look.

Any (even low rent) ,detailer will confirm that clean water and a PH balanced surfacant in a foamer followed by the 2 bucket method hand wash and a blow dry is the best way to go if you don't want collateral paint damage.

If no water made so much sense you'd have a waterless shower yourself twice a day wouldn't you?

23. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Is there an issue with "just washing the car"?....assuming using a quality wash, high quality MF towels, windfall rinse and blow dry the car. . Is the issue potential rust with consistent washes, swirls,personal time, etc? Personally, I like taking care of my cars in this way however it sounds like the waterless approach has a strong following.

24. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I suspect the difference in "safety" to the surface might vary based upon the type of rinseless wash used. If ONR is used in a bucket as a full wash solution, then there isn't really much of a difference to regular washing because there is enough wash solution on the paint to lift the dirt off.

When rinseless is applied by spraying it on, then there is much less solution on the body to lift the dirt and it might have more of an effect of "rubbing" the dirt off (even though the stuff sprayed on will still tend to lubricate the dirt removal). Any real rubbing of dirt on the paint provides at least the chance of creating micro-scratches.

I'm happy to be corrected (no pun intended) on any of the above, but that's my guess.