458 Italia saved from the dead! | FerrariChat

458 Italia saved from the dead!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Esoteric Auto Detail, Sep 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #1 Esoteric Auto Detail, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last week we got the opportunity to work on a Nero 458 Italia that has been used...heavily! 5 years old, 29K miles, and many of them on the track.

These projects are a lot of fun, albeit a lot of work, because we get the chance to literally restore these vehicles to their natural beauty.

As you can see in the before shots, the paint was quite rough. I also took a few 50/50 shots to show the before and after condition. This Italia went from grey to black.

I'll just let the photos speak for themselves on this one...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #2 Esoteric Auto Detail, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This car was donated for our Elite Detailer Academy, and our lucky students had 2 days to bring it back to life. Through the watchful eye of myself, and guest instructor DJ Mayo (DJ Mayo Studios), they made a huge transformation on the 458.

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Very nice work, especially considering the extreme damage done to the paint. It would seem the owner was less than careful with the automobile over all, even the R/front wheel shows signs of "curbing".

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    as usual, excellent work!

5. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice save...what a shame it was so beat up, however it went to a good place for 'restoration'!

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice work as usual!

what was the condition of the front bumper/windshield with all those track miles?

and what happened to those wheels :eek:

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Todd how about a comment on the degree of difficulty the Italia's body design creates for a 'paint restoration'. All those curves would seem to be a challenge for your students...

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow. All illustrations why I will never, ever, ever, ever own another black car. haha...

Great job.

9. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    I saw that too. If this owner was a OCD F-car guy do you really think he would allow his car to be the test bed for "students" of detailing class-advanced or not. The key is students. Even after I knew what I was doing I learned, and learned and practiced on re sprayed junk yard hoods over saw horses.

10. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    It was a rough one for sure. Get it new wheels though, and it's ready to go! Thanks.

Thank you!

Thanks...night and day difference for sure.

Thank you. The front bumper was in typical condition for a black vehicle with 29K miles on it. The windshield had a few minor chips, but good otherwise. Yes, the wheels need to be replaced!

The 458 definitely poses challenges, which is why it was a good fit for the class. If the already-experienced detailer can master beat up black paint like this, combined with those body lines, then they can pretty much handle anything out in the field. This was certainly a bonus for this particular class.

Thanks. Black isn't a color, it's a part-time job!

Our students are already experienced detailers, and we work for a day on all of the finest techniques before they even touch their class car. These are almost always company-owned vehicles, not individual owned. We don't charge them for the work, and they get a huge increase and looks and value when they get it back...win-win for everybody.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ha! :)

I'm on my 4th black car, and after each one I said I'd never buy another black car. :eek:

I guess that's job security for you!

12. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    Awesome work and an even better job of capturing the results in photos.

With cars being base/clear, do you know the factory thickness of each of these?
    Is it consistent in application over the car or thicker/thinner in certain areas?
    Do you use a digital paint meter to ensure that you never break through the clear?
    How many times can you revive a car as bad as this appeared.........or........how much material do you take off to detail to this level?

Kudos again on an incredible job!

13. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    That was an amazing job for sure! I know who will work on my car if it ever gets nasty looking beyond my skill level!

14. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    If you guys weren't so far away I'd send you a black 911 that needs the same treatment.. well done :)