Ceramic Pro coating | FerrariChat

Ceramic Pro coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Renman57, May 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    #1 Renman57, May 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently had my 550 buffed and treated with a coating of Ceramic Pro by Shine Shop Automotive in Greensboro, NC. The car has such a mirrored shine that it almost glows in the sunshine. They claim that the car won't have to be waxed again for 5 years with an annual "maintenance" touch up treatment. Hope it's true.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The best of these on the market is Gyeon Quartz. It's what Todd at Esoteric Detailing uses and it's the only ceramic car care product to get approval to sponsor the Ferrari Club of America. I have it on three of my Ferraris, including one that's gloss black, and it makes an incredible difference.

timjen88 likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I've been very impressed with Modesta. I bet this stuff is all pretty similar. If you use your car all the time and in all kinds of weather I can tell you it won't last 5 years- probably more like 18-24 months. BUT if it is on a toy and you wash it and use their speed shine or whatever maintenance program calls for, then yes, you will get several years and maybe 5 or more is possible. They also make coatings for the clear protective films many people use. :)

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    That is exactly right. A DD will get 18-24 months. A Ferrari that sees relatively few days a year and only nice weather can possibly get to 5 years.

prober34 likes this.
  5. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Mine car is sits in the garage under a cover a lot. Only average around 2000 miles a year so far. Maybe I can get 5 years out of it!

6. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Can't vouch for the other products but the guy that did my car swears by Ceramic Pro. He has owned his own detail shop for 27 years and likes Ceramic Pro the best. I do tend to agree with Caerulus11 in that most of the nano coatings probably all work well when applied properly. Scott spent two days buffing my 14,000 mile car and said that paint correction is critical for a great result.

7. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks great!!!! Very nice!

8. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
  9. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Do people put it over xpel? Or in place of xpel?

I have heard people say you still seal xpel the same as paint. seems strange.

10. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes, we apply both modesta and Cquartz on all of our clear bra jobs.

With any film, you need to protect it the same as paint, but without anything that has harsh chemicals in to like solvents or petroleum in it. Xpel has their own sealant wax, we use menzerna powerlock whenever we are not applying a coating system

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I have Ceramic Pro on my BMW 335is and it has been great so far. As dirty as it gets, you wash it and it looks like it's been detailed. Very hard stuff and low maintenance. The problem is finding someone to do the annual on it.

12. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    CQuartz on my daily driver Cayenne....very impressed after 1 year, had the same treatment done on my mclaren- looks like the day i picked it up, it obviously gets driven less

13. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I have Cermaic Pro "Sport" on 5 vehicles all of which are driven at least twice a week. Holding up great so far and insects are so much easier to remove after night trips on the freeway. Like others have mentioned correction is key especially with these long lasting coatings.

14. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    After much research I went with Ceramic Pro. BLUF: These types of coatings have been a great product for the past 20 years. In 2003 I used one of the first on a black Corvette that looked like it had been cleaned with steel wool and without paint correction the car looked awesome.

15. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    #15 Eli355, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had it installed on this car this weekend. The stuff creates at very hard durable finish that is easy to clean, almost with just a hose. I then blow dry the car. On my daily driver I use a little soap and it works great. Applied on the wheels and dipstick just washes off with a hose.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #16 JaguarXJ6, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    5 years is with maintenance (booster + inspections). Having this professionally installed and inspected is required to keep the warranty.

If you did this as a hobbyist, you would not have the full warranty and many manufacturers have a less potent (and less expensive) hobbyist line.

There's another benefit to ceramic coatings and that it's less attractive to dust which aids in rinse and dry touch up washes.

They say you can drive through a rain storm and it's almost clean afterwards, but this is true only if there are no oil, mud, and debris clinging to the paint.

Another important element to maintaining ceramic coatings is that you want clean rinsing soaps that leave no residue and that you avoid topping the ceramic with something less hydrophobic (wax, polish, etc).

I use Cquartz Finest having found the gloss better than Ceramic Pro with a full strength booster spritz every three months and a 1/2 and 1/2 booster/water mix for quick detailing when I can't do a full rinse and wipe down.

You will have problems with the glue and lubricant during clear bra installation, so it's applied on top as an extra layer of UV protection and to make the clear bra hydrophobic.

The most critical piece to a good ceramic coating is the paint preparation followed by strict adherence to cure time (flashing). See image for what a ceramic coating looks like when it's flashed and ready for removal.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29725782/Nissan%20GT-R/2015%20Pearl%20White%20GT-R/IMG_7997b.JPG

17. Polished Detail

Jun 27, 2015
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Full Name:
    Nic Shangle
    [​IMG]

We just corrected and coated this 2000 550 with a Ceramic Pro gold package. Metallic silver doesn't get any more gloss than this 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Spectacular

19. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I have always been very interested in these coatings for garage kept cars and outside cars. Waxes and sealants seem to last weeks - months on my Cayenne. I even had bird droppings physically damage my paint.

I have never understood what happens at end of life!

is it like wax that can be removed or polished off? Does it get splotchy?

I saw a demo on a BMW and water just slid off - no beading, nothing...

20. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ^^^Yes, coatings can be compounded/polished off. They are amazing! All of my vehicles are coated. Incredible stuff...durability, water sheeting/beading, cleanup is very easy, maintenance time is reduced, etc, etc.

I'm a coating fan!

21. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    As mentioned a few posts back I have several cars that are wearing Ceramic Pro and I am a fan. Recently had my 2000 Camaro corrected and applied Ceramic Pro's Economy coating (Sport) and the the results are just astounding to me. Considering this is original GM paint that certainly isn't very high quality and it is white which can be a challenge to get popping. Very pleased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    GM paint never looked so good!

23. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Looks new.

24. RyanFoH

RyanFoH Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    We traded for a Vanquish with 6 coats of Ceramic Pro on it....absolutely stunning ... and bulletproof!

We are looking into it for Houston with one of our preferred detailers.

Camaro looks dripping wet, nice pics.

25. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I use GTechniq Crystal Serum on my 458, love the coating, nothing sticks to the paint, not even road bugs, simple light hose and they wash off without rubbing at all. I did look at one of the other coatings mentioned above, but decided on the CS (although I think most of these coatings are very similar in performance).