Upcoming Launch: Bespoke Coffee Tables | FerrariChat

Upcoming Launch: Bespoke Coffee Tables

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 19633500GT, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #1 19633500GT, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys, I wanted to present these, and sort of show off what I have been working on in the last half a year, so gauge interest, design ideas, flaws and likes.

I actually had this idea about a year and a half ago, but a deployment slowed progress, and finally upon my homecoming, I sat down with my friend who's an architect, and we dove head first into this.

I will be launching a website within the next month, and heading out into the wide open beautiful world of bespoke creations.

These are made with a hardwood maple frame (black), gorgeous beveled glass top and side pieces, with a chrome trim ring, and beautiful chrome legs. The leather is fine Italian black leather, stitched in a silver diamond stitch (think 550M parcel shelf...), on both the exterior, and the Ferrari 360 Modena Modular rear wheels. They are inlaid within the base of the table, sunk in 1/4". It is heavy, elegant and in person, completely over the top.

This is an expression of my design, thoughts, and an aim at luxury that may be enjoyed by both car enthusiasts, yet classy and tasteful enough to work in a unique modern setting. Lounges, dens, "man" caves, offices and garages alike would glow around this as the center-piece of the area.

I'm excited to start this new endeavor, and hope to reach a whole new level of custom and design work. Every aspect of this table is custom built from scratch (except the wheels :)
    The craftsmanship is incredible, all hand-built in-house in Boston, MA.

I look forward to your thoughts, opinions, and discussions. Thank you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Ken, what a spectacular piece you have created! I sent you a PM as well. Best, Romo

3. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    How strong is the wooden frame around the glass top? - because you know it will be lifted by that at some point ...

Looking good - but I think the contrast color on the quilted stitching is a bit too loud as there is a lot of it. Personally I would prefer the quilted stiching in black.

4. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thank you! I have returned the PM with more information.

Kind regards,

Ken

5. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops

Thank you Dave for the input. I appreciate it.

This is Prototype #1. The fun part of making bespoke is...you get to try different things, and some people will like, and others may not. The stitch color is a very easy change on the next table. It's a dark silver, but you're correct that black/black would bring a different style to it. I have a few ideas on Table #2, and it will certainly "shake things up" even moreso with my design.

The wood frame on top is strong, however, the table itself is very, very heavy. The way we have it built is the side glass pieces are "channeled" into the above wooden frame. This make "dis-connectivity" available IF NEEDED. I do not, and will harp on this, recommend lifting this up EVER from the top pieces, really in the sense that even if it could support being held like that, it SHOULDN'T be held like that.

I understand things could happen, but it will come with a few "do's" and "don'ts".

Thank you again for your feedback.

Best,

Ken

6. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #6 DZ-96, Sep 27, 2016
    Hi Ken

I had a similar idea with a LaFerrari gearbox housing, but no time to start it.
    Also i don't know if my artistic talent is good enough for such a project.

Daniel

7. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I like your idea Daniel.

However, I'll say this in re: to building over engines or gearboxes.

I wanted something that could be appreciated by a family, and not just as a man cave option. The gearbox and engine pieces are cool, but my wife would say "get that out of here" so, different concepts, but have at it my friend! Build with a passion and push the envelope.

8. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    I am in Boston. Next time you have an open house let me know. Preferably with beverages. oh, and really quality work.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Really nice execution. I know for a lot of us a spare set of wheels is just part of the landscape but having a nice dust free place to keep them is hard to come by. I like your "sleeves" around the wheel concept. That is elegant. If yours are removable and access to the wheels is easy and you can find a way to hold 4 I think Bob's your uncle!

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It looks fantastic - great work!!

11. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Although not as a career, I design Furniture as well..
    As the formative steps to building a brand, you must go through dozens of trials and failures to be to see who and where your demographic is..

I believe you are onto something that might become fruitful..
    However watch your labor costs as these items will come out more expensive than most will want to pay..

As for the wheels to be on display...too many have already done that..
    I would look for something more...something that you wouldnt get tired of looking at..
    give me a day or 2 and I will make some suggestions..

Best of Luck!
    M

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 msdesignltd, Sep 27, 2016
    For instance....When my son was born, I wanted to build him a bed and market it to childrens parents..
    this is my prototype...The best domesetic price to build it was $4700.00 plus the 3D train motif..
    this would translate to a $15,000.00 kids bed...had to scale back..
    Foreign labor has F'd everyone here....

13. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    #13 Enzojr, Sep 27, 2016
    That is a gorgeous table ;)
    I have the down and dirty table, it stays in the garage.
    Go to AMLS race and acquire old racing slick.
    Have friend who provides perfectly cut piece of glass.
    The glass actually fit right where the rim sits, box is there to "see" the glass.
    Cost was $0

...and thinking no way a wife or GF would let you bring this inside ;)

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #14 jm2, Sep 27, 2016
  15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    All good points guys. Thank you.

I WILL build an F40 themed table, and I can't wait.

For now, on the horizon is a McLaren inspired one, look for some very unique materials ;)

These are all hand made, very heavy, and lead time is about 6-8 weeks. They take man hours. Plain and simple.

The cost is high, yes, but a potential client will display thing among collections that dwarf this as a centerpiece to a room, lounge or showroom.

16. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops

Thanks M, I look forward to more of your feedback.

17. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Thank you Kevin. The intent is for it to be a usable, functional centerpiece, not necessarily for storage. The only reason we designed it for the top to come apart was for cleaning and "maintenance" if needed, it's not a storage piece for wheels. The sleeves were completely custom sized, and then stitched in place.

Thanks Dave!

Thank you @Enzojr. I would def. throw a beer on your table and have no worries. This one...I don't recommend toddlers with crayons or man cave keggers haha.

I need to find two F40 wheels to accomplish that mission, it's likely #4 or #5 on my build list.

18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Looks great.

BUT a caveat from someone who has been down this road, be very aware of all the people that will knock this off. If you can find some way to make it distinct so that it's harder to copy you'll be a head of the game.

When it comes to art such as this everybody and their brother will be waiting in the shadows to underbid you at every turn. All the guys that think it's a great idea will be looking to get it done cheaper by their "guy". You'll invest the time and energy to bring it to a show and people will take pics to reverse engineer and get cheaper bids.

I know it sounds cold but it's very common. I get constant requests to copy other art for cheaper. Lol, I've been at shows where people have asked me to duplicate the work next to my booth for $100 less.

Best of luck!

19. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Anthony I'm going to send you a PM if that's ok.
    Thanks

Ken

20. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    After all the great work and craftsmanship, why are you using replica 360 modular wheels?

21. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Why do you think they are replicas.

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ken, i think it looks great but (in this is my personal opinion) i think it's a litle bit overdone.
    I wouldt take of the top frame and just leave the glass...it would be a simpler design and IMo more atractive...also, nobody would hurt their legs when going around it :)
    Still, i think it looks great!!

23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #23 peterp, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Here is my $0.02 for constructive criticism:

1. I think it would look better if the wheels were aligned in the cabinet rather than placed at a slight diagonal. If they were diagonal at 45 degrees in a more square cabinet, that might be fine because it would be obvious that they were intended to be diagonal, but because they are only slightly diagonal, it kind of looks like some items may have shifted during flight.

2. Agree with the prior comment about stitching. Switching it to a much darker gray with a very subtle contrast would look great. Currently, the very sharp contrast of the silver makes it a distraction from, rather than a compliment to, the rest of the table.

3. Too much black. That "all black" look will definitely work for some very specific settings, but I think it's a bit cold and too monotone for most rooms. I believe it would look much warmer, and fit better in most settings, if you used very nicely stained wood (instead of piano black) for the outside table border frames on the top and bottom. I would also use a softer black for the leather, rather than pure dark black.

24. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    They are replicas. All you need to do is compare your pics to pics of authentic wheels and you will see the differences.

25. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Ahh, I do see the difference, my apologies. I guess I'll take this hit, I shouldn't have trusted the part #183844R when I purchased them, without cross referencing it. Thank you for pointing this out. I know my vintage wheels better, so here's a learning curve/lesson to me.

I will make certain #2, #3 and #4 are checked now (I have Starfish, likely MP412C, then a toss-up of what to build for #4, the planning is a few months out).

Thanks

Ken