garage floor...epoxy paint or tile it? | FerrariChat

garage floor...epoxy paint or tile it?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bocaf430, Oct 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I am getting ready to have my 3 car garage floor finished...either epoxy paint or ceramic tile... any thoughts? Idea's? I think I prefer the epoxy paint... cheaper job, and can change the color in time...stuck with ceramic tiles for a long time...

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I put concrete sealer on mine, then some grey garage floor paint- still there after 15 years

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I did epoxy on my hanger. I'd look into polishing the concrete. Easier to clean, and won't wear out.

Art

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    If you tile, get a sample and leave oil on it for a couple of days and then clean to see if it's really non porous like is probably claimed.

5. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Use "search"... Lots of threads on this you will likely find helpful..... My 2 cents is diamond polished

6. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #7 jm2, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 Michael B, Oct 19, 2016
  9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I vote epoxy

10. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I'm going with tile. Just trying to figure out whether or not I put the lift on top the tile with some sort of matting in between, so that I have some flexibility in moving to lift a couple inches here or there as necessary.

11. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I looked at both and decided on polishing the concrete.

12. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #12 Voda, Oct 19, 2016
  13. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Polished concrete is my first choice with porcelain tile second. With tile, keep some extras to replace any damaged ones down the road. The Vault, who is a sponsor here, looks to sell some good ones. I plan on using them in my shop room off my garage.

14. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun

This floor is an epoxy. Its a metallic finish epoxy. Its done by using two or three contrasting colours, and mixing them up, with a squeegee and/or roller. Its a very cool finish, and its different every time.

I'm in the floor coating business ( epoxy, urethane, polished) and help answer questions. I'm not biased either. I love tile in garages, but it depends on if its an everyday use garage, or a place to display cars. For everyday use a coating is the way to go.

Its been discussed a few times in depth. Some good reading in older discussions.

Shaun

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That looks sick!

16. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I've got a new-ish garage (couple of years old) that still has a bare concrete floor. I have been leaning towards epoxy, but have concerns that it may not adhere in areas where I have oil stains (garage is full of old British and Italian cars). I know the floor would be cleaned and prepped prior to coating, but would having some oily areas make you lean more towards tile as opposed to epoxy? I've always wondered how good the cleaning process really is with soaked-in fluids.

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If properly ground and cleaned, you will have zero issues.

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    this
    my floor was a combination of new concrete & 15 yr old concrete
    after they prepped it everything was good to go

19. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I've done epoxy and like the look, but I honestly think that anything that looks finished will greatly enhance the appeal. Ceramic is kind of overkill, plus people think you are kind of odd for tiling your garage. It's less industrial and more clinical in appearance. Makes you look a little obsessive. ;)

20. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Vinyl tile here. 15 yrs now. Strip and polish every once in a while. Damage a tile just lift it out and glue down a new one. Keep an x-tra 1/2 box for replacements. Easy do it yourself job. GTS Brcue

21. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Yeah, had some work done on the pool and they accessed through garage... Some must have dropped a hammer or something... Chip the size of a quarter!!!...
    Sheesh.

22. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    If you epoxy, get the floor bead blasted first...and apply a urethane top coat.

23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #23 Dave rocks, Oct 20, 2016
    I was thinking the same as I have it in my office....

The color is a bit more red - the photo washed it out a little
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    If its prepared properly, and the company is good ( knows what they're doing) then you'll have zero issues. Diamond grinding or shot blasting will take care of 95% of stains ( oil, urine,rust) From there you can use a plumbing torch to heat the slab, and draw out any remaining oil -then you keep wiping it with xylene as it draws to the surface. In the event that the customer is really picky, you can then use a oil blocking prime. If the company is using acid washing, or power washing then they're bush league. Stay away, also lean away from a company who doesnt own their own equipment....

This is totally repairable. Call the company back and they'll gently brush in some clear top coat, and flake, then re-top coat it. It might be a slightly noticeable repair... But most people will never know. We did a garage floor this summer where the owner had 4x4 posts running up the wall to give the garage a "rustic barn look" One of my installers mentioned it wasnt secured to anything, but left it there since it matched the rest of the garage. Sure enough the owner called me to ask about a touch up since he removed the post. I was able to blend in the floor seamlessly enough that anyone looking at the garage wont know. I could spot it myself, but only since I know where to look.

If a customer calls me and tells me they damaged their floor for an honest mistake / accident, I have no problem of going back to touch it up for free. It costs me $10 in materials, and some time. IF its damaged from negligence, or misuse.... then I charge.

I do burn outs in my F150, daily at my shop. I cant damage my floors at all. Any rubber marks wipe right up with xylene. I do this purely to see how much abuse I can throw at a floor before it fails. I also have a jeep there which leave every fluid it has, and they wipe right up. After having epoxy on a floor, you'll never go back to raw concrete.

S.

25. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #25 Scaledetails, Oct 22, 2016
    This was a tough decision as I had 1000 square feet to cover, and I decided to go all out and get marble looking tile. I thought I was crazy but once it was finished I concluded it was the best decision I had ever made. So easy to clean, very "museum" like finish and the cars look amazing on it. I get so many compliments that I wouldn't get with epoxy paint. Well worth the extra $.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login