can a clear bra be wet sanded / polished? | FerrariChat

can a clear bra be wet sanded / polished?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ferraripete, Dec 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#1 ferraripete, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    I have suntek clear bra on the front of my car. it performed flawlessly and prevented serious damage to my car's paint recently but did suffer some damage itself.

I will replace the damaged areas but wondered if the areas that were only scuffed can be wet sanded and re-polished out?

thinking 1500 - 2000 grit wet and then hi-speed buffed. thoughts? hoping to save the money and time by salvaging the areas less damaged.

again, a great product and prevented some serious heartburn!!

thank you advance to the experts that weigh in.

pcb

2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I doubt wet sanding is safe,but not an expert. I had some generalized haze appear on my bonnet of my 360. The clear bra is approx. 5 yrs old and figured replacement was in order. I tried Optimum Hyper Polish from Auto Greek and was quite surprised by the outcome.

3. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    No to sanding IMHO, yes to polishing and coating.

I have done the polishing and the coating on Xpel; and 3M

4. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ^^^I concur with Jsf.

5. Polished Detail

Jun 27, 2015
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Full Name:
    Nic Shangle
    The PPF film cannot be wetsanded. It can be polished with a LIGHT/MEDIUM polish at low speed though. Don't use a heavy compound, it will ruin the finish. The Suntek PPF films are vinyl with a very small amount of clear coat. The entire film & clear coat layer are only microns thick.

I have had very good luck removing some light to medium scuffs from PPF films. We have also polished some too far and lost the gloss. So, I know exactly how far it can be polished haha.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you all.

7. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Peter,
    rip it off and replace it.

If you need a source in San Diego, feel free to reach out to me. If you want to make the drive to OC, I'd be happy to help out.

8. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Don't wet sand. Some films can be heat treated to take out light scuffs. I'm not familiar with Suntek.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for sharing!