foam pad vs Lake Bonnets | FerrariChat

foam pad vs Lake Bonnets

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ClydeM, Dec 29, 2016.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #1 ClydeM, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm a backyard detailer.
    Cut my teeth with hand-applied simonize back in the early 70's. I'm glad those days are over.

Now I have a Porter Cable 7336 DA orbital polisher.
    It came with a Foam pad. I usually use Wax Master's bonnets over the foam pad to detail the car. This way the pad stays generally clean and I swap bonnets.

I also have Lake Country pads, but have yet to use them.

It seems to me I can use the WM bonnets once or twice (fairly cheap) and throw them away. I use the thin blue bonnets to apply wax, cotton/microfiber with a paint cleaner or to remove, and then a wool to buff. About every 3-4 details the glue on the white foam pads breaks down & I chuck the pad for a $10 new one.

It seems to me the lake country have to be swapped & cleaned frequently.

so the question is, am or doing it wrong? Do the lakes produce better results?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Hey Clyde, try some Ubër pads from Detailer's Domain. The glue on those is vastly superior to that of the Lake Country pads.

No help for you on the bonnets versus pads-- I use pads exclusively but I only use a machine to polish, not to apply or remove LSPs. I wash the pads on occasion during the job but it's usually a welcome diversion since non-stop polishing gets old and can lead to in attention and less than ideal results.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  4. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As Dave said, you need to get a good backing plate. For my Porter Cable I have the 5" and 3" Lake Country backing plate - Buffer Pads & Misc > Backing Plates | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I then have used the Lake Country pads which have worked out well. But, you do need to clean them after each use. I will use about 3 5" pads when buffing a vehicle and another 2-3 3" pads (these are to get into the smaller places).

I then clean my pads thoroughly after usage. If you don't, you'll have polish build up on the pad it it will not work correctly. This is also why I use a number of pads when polishing a car.

For wax application, I always to it by hand because you don't need any pressure to apply a wax. I then use a couple good quality microfiber towels for removal. Again, everything gets washed after use.

Lastly, the Rupes pads are really good and if you want to step up to a great polisher, I recommend the Rupes Mark II with the 15mm throw.