Which Clear BRA | FerrariChat

Which Clear BRA

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by babwine, Jan 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. babwine

babwine Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Boca Raton/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Burt
    Anyone familiar with Solar Guard Clear Shield Pro for clear bra?

2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    I haven't heard of that one. The two major players are Xpel and Suntek. I have many clients that have us pull Xpel to replace with Suntek because of the clarity in the film. Suntek is super clear and last just as long as Xpel and is just as thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JoshVette

JoshVette Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie/Dallas
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I agree Suntek is top of it's game right now.

4. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I just had Suntek put on my F430 - it was recc'd by them over XPEL for clarity and contour fitting and removal. It's "self healing" and looks very good.

5. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As the above people have said, Suntek is clearer and has less "texture". I have both and prefer Suntek. But you really cant go wrong with either.

6. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Best is suntek. Xpel is old news

7. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I heard from a detailer that offers both the SunTek film yellows after about 2 years and as a result he still prefers Xpel.

Anyone else heard this?

8. babwine

babwine Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Boca Raton/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Burt
    I heard just the opposite .... that Expel yellows and Suntek or Clearshield does not. Maybe as one post said earlier, it depends on the detailer/installer and what they sell.

9. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    all films may yellow over time, its the adhesive

xpel is more noticeable

We had done a full front on a red 458 in the past. it then had the rest of the car wrapped in Xpel prior to a rally it drove on. It was also vinyl'd up.

When it came back, and we pulled everything off, the two noticeable things we noticed were how the clarity difference was very evident from the front to the back, and also how the vinyl reacted with the film. Suntek showed less signs of vinyl distortion and was definitely glossier

10. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    No films yellow over time anymore. It was the adhesive and the not the film anyway, the forumulas were changed 6-8 years ago depending on the vendor.

New 2016 Suntek is more clear and smoother than XPEL. Up until then it was thinner. It doesn't or didn't have restorative properties like XPEL (I think the new SUNTEK stuff may). This is critical!

But alas, Suntek is old news.... STEK is the new news.
    Thick, easy to handle, self healing with cold or warm water, clearer or as clear as Suntek, and has a coating similar to what Ceramic Pro does so you don't need to add it on top.

Less/no orange peel vs XPEL and slicker surface (easy to get bug/grime off)
    Self healing, and as or more clear than Suntek. Also again, slick surface and no need to Cermaic Pro it.

I have had 6 cars with clear film, from bra to full cars. Used 3M, Suntek, XPEL, and others. I am not a dealer, installer, owner or otherwise invested in any clear film technologies or companies. I will probably STEK my front clip of my F355 (meaning someone will do it for me).

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #11 TrojanFan, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    My Miata ND is wrapped in Suntek. But depending on the car and application, I would recommend Suntek or Xpel. There are very very minor differences and I would say it depends on the color of the car, the kit (how it is cut on the plotter or a custom job by hand/original template), and the installer. Don't cheap out whichever route you go.

In my garage storage business, we have more Suntek covered cars, and quite a few of them are custom one-offs. But we also have Xpel on several cars too.

13. Mpower4life

Mpower4life Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    someone talked to Metropolitan....

14. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    stek vs suntek side by side on a white car, suntek was still glossier, xpel wasn't even close
    stek vs suntek side by side on a dark car, suntek was still glossier and showed less distortion.

we put suntek on the full front of a car recently. The hood had a scoop and that was done with STEK for a comparison (we can rip it off next time it comes in for a maintenance detail) The gloss difference is very noticeable. The texture difference is very noticeable.

stek is slicker than suntek, but a coating on top of suntek solves that, and since you will be doing most of the car in a coating like modesta anyway, you don't want a coated film.

If you were doing clear bra only, I can see STEK being good in the fact it has a coating infused into the top coat (STEK DYNO), but other than that, we are sticking with suntek.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have suntek on my cars. it looks great and has protected my jaguar from several potentially very bad incidents! recommend it!!

16. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What is recommended for the windshield? Is any of the coatings better for that application?

17. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Awe, I miss their ... sound. :D

18. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Xpel for me on my cars paint. Not sure about glass. If you are thinking about two layers for the wheels wells, do the full wrap first than add a second layer for the well arches. The other way around results in the air gaps at the seams and it looks cheesy. If you want to do a full wrap, pull the arch wrap first.