Detailing for Dummies (me) | FerrariChat

Detailing for Dummies (me)

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by WATSON, Jan 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    So I got a nice polisher (Milwaukee 3" cordless) and a a Ryobi 4000rpm cordless DA from Santa.

Now what?

I have a white pad and a yellow pad with the Milwaukee, but in looking online there are all kinds of different pads and colors. Ugh.

Is there a detailing for dummies that explains just the basics, like what the color of the pads mean in terms of abrasion and cut? Is there a suggestion in technique and approach? I am not trying to get deep scratches pout, just the swirl marks that have accumulated over time....

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

2. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Go to the Autogeek website. I think that they have the best tutorials / explanations in layman's terms for getting started. Caution, it can become addictive. I do recommend reading up and getting comfortable with doing your own work...even practicing on one of your other vehicles. If the Milwaukee is a rotary unit as opposed to a dual-action [random orbital] polisher, you need to be extra careful. There are other detailing sites, each claiming to have The Secret, but take in as much info as you can.

3. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    As mentioned above Autogeek and the Autopia forums are great resources and I recommend you read, read, and read some more. I would be extremely leery of using a rotary if you have no experience as it is easy to burn and mar paint if you don't know what you are doing. Small pads on the DA will provide stunning results, especially in tighter areas.

4. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    So I shouldn't start on the center of the hood of my 355 with the Milwaukee and some rubbing compound... right?

5. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sure....just throw on some powdered pumice for good measure. :)

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 msdesignltd, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Knowing the hardness level of your specific cars paint is probably the first step one should take seriously...all the other factors will fall into place when you know this.
    You base what pads, what grit and what pressure you apply to DA on knowing your paint.

In the forefront of pic.." Softest paint in the world ! "
    In the background..1 of Hardest clear coats of paint ever..
    There is no comparison of the 2 techniques used to get a show car finish.
    Watch the AMMO videos over and over..you will learn

Guess the combined horsepower in this pic???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I found this interesting. How can you pull red paint off a car that has a clear coat???

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_dYnl60Kk[/ame]

8. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 msdesignltd, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Correct me if I am wrong someone..
    But a 355 is /was painted in one stage..
    There is no clear coat...He is a Porsche guy , so I think he got mis informed..

Ask me how I know..
    I actually used his Ammo polishes on my 355..and finished it with his ultra fine jewelers polish..which I see he no longer sells...

A 355 in red has to be one of the most exciting cars to rub out..it does not stop getting better and better..Truly my addiction..
    A tribute to Glasurit paints 4 sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Actually, on some triple layers paints or similar, the clear coat can have a hint of color in it. I think the newer Rosso Corsa Metallic has a tint to the clear.

But as previous people have said, I the F355 is a single stage paint so any paint correction will produce "red" pads.