My choice for sticky repair | FerrariChat

My choice for sticky repair

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by colamclean, Jan 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    #1 colamclean, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought I would post this because I am certain many of you are sick of living with sticky interior parts and are struggling with the choice between sponsors of this forum – StickyNoMore and StickyRX – who each provide a solution.

This is not intended to create a debate between the two. I am also not suggesting which company you select. Just providing insight into my thought process and decision.

I needed the following parts refinished – 5 vent rings, center console (pictured), 7 console switches, gas lid release button (pictured) and trunk release button. All were seriously sticky and the graphics were difficult to read. As you can see in the photo of the gas lid release button it appears as if the graphic has been damaged. The other buttons and switches were in similar shape.

All of these parts are from my 2002 Maranello 575M. Sticky repair had been done to the interior door handles by the previous owner several years ago. That work was done by StickyNoMore. These handles look great to this day.

I have some DIY sticky experience myself - refinishing the parking brake handle. I also cleaned and refinished the clamshell surround of the steering column. Although I am perfectly happy with the results of my amateur work on these parts, I didn’t think it would be a good idea to tackle these additional parts with the important graphics and electrical components.

So, who should I ship them off to for refinishing? StickyNoMore has been around for years and has a solid reputation. StickyRX is relatively new and provides what they describe as a more involved and potentially longer-lived solution. It also has been well-received by the community. Reading all of the posts (most by StickyRX), critical of its competitor’s product (obviously StickyNoMore) I was starting to think wow, StickyNoMore must really be an inferior solution.

Well, I contacted each company to get pricing. I read the descriptions of the process used by each company. I paid particular attention to the laser-marked graphics of StickyRX – I really wanted to make sure the graphics of the parts I was having refinished would not just be readable, but would look great!

The cost was an important factor to me. Dave from StickyRX emailed (prices not posted on the website) his prices – totaled $1970. The total cost from the StickyNoMore website for my parts was $1010.

I decided to call StickyNoMore and talk with them specifically about my concerns about the graphics – I wanted them to look great, and they looked like crap now. I wanted to know how they fixed these graphics since they do not have the sophisticated laser marking machinery of StickyRX. Robbie at StickyNoMore explained that in most cases the graphics are simply obscured by the sticky residue and after cleaning appear almost as-new.

My thoughts were that other than the laser-marked graphics capability, the services were similar, and each of acceptable quality. It really appealed to me that StickyNoMore in most cases ‘saves’ the original graphics. It also appealed to me that they did the other work on my car and it would match – and, from experience, I was confident it would last.

I received the refinished parts today (in less than one week) from StickyNoMore. I am totally happy with the results (see the before and after photos). I expect the parts to last and not develop sticky residue. I am happy I am looking at the original factory-applied graphics, and I am happy with the cost.

I find it really hard to imagine anyone could find fault with my newly refinished parts – particularly after being installed in the car. StickyNoMore addressed the problem cost-effectively and my dash will look and feel gorgeous again.

After making this decision and seeing the results I thought it was important to make sure the F-Chat community is not led to believe the StickyNoMore product is poor. It is very good.

From what I read StickyRX has great technology for fixing damaged graphics – fortunately for me by graphics were simply obscured by sticky goop that was simply cleaned.

Hope this helps someone out there trying to make this choice. Cheers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    BTW the graphic above - PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF - is out of focus with my camera. The graphic is super-sharp to the eye. Just to clarify.

3. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Night and day difference. Very nice, they are going to really be a pleasure to both look at and touch again!

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #4 Dave rocks, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Hello Patrick,

I appreciate your post and your decision.

For you, and others reading, first and foremost, Robbie provides a good service at a reasonable price - in fact, I used Robbie myself before getting into this.

However, the cost differences you sight are for good reasons, as follows:

All parts we refinish are fully refinished. What does that mean? It means, we don't just clean off the sticky soft touch clear coating.

We strip parts down to bare plastic and fully refinish, including laser etching.

Now, I will concede, some parts, with a clear soft touch, can be successful cleaned but others in which the soft touch is black, cannot without losing the graphics. Or, in the case of your 575 parts, if the base paint becomes damaged, it does not matter with us as we refinish 100% anyway.

A small list of examples where graphics will be gone are as follows:

348, 355 vents. 360, 430, 550, 575, 612, 599, Enzo vent rings. Door handles for nearly the same models. Not to mention, for metal parts we strip bare and fully refinish. 599, 612 headlight controls, etc require laser etching or decals as the soft touch is black over white plastic. And, not sure if you had your bonnet release done, but we don't apply a decal for that, but that graphic will also be gone with a full refinish. We laser etch that graphic too.

This thread explains the process well:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/520454-understanding-ferraris-sticky-interiors-technical-guide.html

And this one demonstrates our coatings:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/523674-sticky-rx-mar-chemical-resistant-coating-demonstration.html

So, as you will see, the cost difference comes from a massive difference in the work provided and the fact we fully refinish.

If anyone has questions, please let me know. I'll add that there is plenty of work to go around and not everyone has the same goals. Some want perfection and others have a goal of a budget and I fully respect the choice people make.

5. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I also have a 575 and about 4 yrs ago I had a few items in my car removed to be corrected by Bradan. I have no idea who he sent the parts to at the time. They came back looking great but now 4 yrs later these same parts are becoming tacky again. Not fully sticky like before but still tacky a bit.
    I had StickyRX do a few trim pieces on my 430 and the results were just amazing. I for one prefer the laser etched graphics as well as the parts being stripped and actually refinished as opposed to being cleaned.
    Like the others have said, there are 2 good choices here. It just depends on your budget and how anal you are.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #6 sherpa23, Jan 27, 2017
    This is an interesting post. Those parts came out great and I'm sure that you will love them. I had a car with all the parts done by Robbie and they looked great. Definitely night and day compared to the original sticky parts.

Recently, I redid all of the parts in my 360. ALL. They were sticky and really needed to be done. I compared a part for my old 550 that Dave did with a part from my 348 that Robbie did. As was mentioned, Robbie cleans the parts properly and they look great. Dave refinishes the parts beyond that and they look like a whole new part. When doing my entire car, I was really concerned about consistency of the color and finish, as well as making sure that whatever I spent would be a one time experience.

The cost difference was not insignificant, as was pointed out, and is extreme when it's essentially the whole interior. However, as I pointed in another thread that I'm of the opinion that if you're doing to do something, you should do it as well as possible. I'm sure for lots of cars a cleaned part would be good enough. For lots of cars, though, a properly refinished part is really what's right. I bit the bullet and sent everything to StickyRX.

Dave's OCD became readily apparent as he documented every single part and every single flaw with what I sent and how it would be fixed, etc. it's clear that he can't "just do it." The attention to detail borders on ridiculous. If people don't get that from his posts, they're just not paying attention. He is very proud of what he does and he goes that extra mile that no one else goes. I don't think that's a bad thing. He makes it clear all the time that he can't compete in price; he competes on the quality of the service.

Of course the parts all came back perfectly done, as would be expected. You pay for perfection and you get perfection. Everyone gets that.

To be honest, I don't think they compete at all. They offer owners two options: pretty good and perfection. They each have their place and it's important to have choices in life. I'm sure they're both busy beyond belief. If you're extra cost conscious, there is also the third choice which is the basic clean and rattle can in the garage. You get the bumpy, uneven finish but you get no more sticky.

Here's a pic of my interior where all of the parts were sent to Dave. Would they look fine had Robbie done them? Absolutely. But they look truly perfect now. Again, there's no wrong choice here, simply differing degrees of good. And, of course, you have to pay for that.

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Competition is good. Suspect that StickyRX has made SNM a better vendor. Sherpa23 has said it well. Besides Dave's great work, his customer service stands alone and has made me a loyal customer.
    Bill
    FL

sparetireless likes this.
  8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike

Where did you read that? I've never seen a post where StickyRX speaks badly about SNM.

Why do you feel the need to make this point, because I haven't seen a single post that SNM is poor. On the contrary, every single post about SNM is nothing short of praise for the excellent job that SNM does.

I've been on this board for sometime, and have read a lot about both and posted about both.

Robbie is a great guy and does a fantastic job. Dave is a great guy and does a fantastic job.

I seriously question these two parts of your post, and would almost ask for proof that what you claim has ever been posted on FChat, except I don't need proof.

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I agree, both great guys. Tons of work for both.....

jfarenga likes this.
  10. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    We are grateful
    For both

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #11 Dave rocks, Jan 30, 2017
    So, since this thread a few of my friends made comments to me to the effect that they feel many people don't fully understand our process and how it differs. They said that providing more educational information would be helpful.

That said, we received some parts Saturday and they, along with some others in house (in process) and complete, made for good materials for a video.

In the video we talk about the white of our refinished parts being brighter than OEM cleaned parts. However, we did not capture that well, but in person, the difference can be seen.

Here are some 599 parts that use black soft touch, not clear. You will see, when the coating fails, the graphics are gone. Also, attached is a photo of 2 360 HVAC panels side - by - side. The one on the left has been fully refinished. The one on the right has been cleaned. Take notice to the higher sheen of the cleaned part.

The video explains this in much more detail.

Enjoy :)

PS - sorry, I talk with my hands and should not do that in videos ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm5CT9IEVAA[/ame]

12. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Videos of the laser etching:). That's really cool stuff

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1

14. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    #14 sparetireless, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    SNM. I paid my bill, but will never go back.

15. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I have been at stickyrx for a visit. Dave handed me a finished part and a screw driver and said go ahead try to scratch it. I applied a lot of scratching pressure to the piece and left no mark. Flat piece without graphics. GTS Bruce