Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Detailing & Showroom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Dominic
My Garage
Leather Treatment

I normally like to treat the leather in my 575 at least once a year with Leatherique.
Tips and suggestions always say its better when you can heat the car up in the sun for a day or 2 but during the summertime the last thing I want to do is spend time detailing and not driving so today I decided that since its winter here in NJ and the car wonít be driven for at least 2 months I wanted to
Treat the leather. Although my garage is heated itís not the same as rolling the car in the sun for a day.
I concocted this circus act and its working out just perfect.
First step was to heat up the interior to around 90 degrees for an hour so the pores of the leather open up a bit then wiping the car down with a generous amount of Rejuvenation oil.
I will let the car sit with the heat on overnight and come back in the morning with Pristine Clean.
My leather has always been supple. I just like to maintain it before it dries out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.jpg (54.0 KB, 743 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0401.jpg (31.5 KB, 740 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0400.jpg (77.4 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0406.jpg (47.5 KB, 740 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Which are the best interior detailing products?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: jon walton
I've been using a European version of Nivea Hand cream. It's phenomenal
Old 02-04-2017, 05:13 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
I normally like to treat the leather in my 575 at least once a year with Leatherique.
Tips and suggestions always say its better when you can heat the car up in the sun for a day or 2 but during the summertime the last thing I want to do is spend time detailing and not driving so today I decided that since its winter here in NJ and the car wonít be driven for at least 2 months I wanted to
Treat the leather. Although my garage is heated itís not the same as rolling the car in the sun for a day.
First step was to heat up the interior to around 90 degrees for an hour so the pores of the leather open up a bit then wiping the car down with a generous amount of Rejuvenation oil.
I will let the car sit with the heat on overnight and come back in the morning with Pristine Clean.
My leather has always been supple. I just like to maintain it before it dries out.

NICE WORK...something I would do on a snowy day..!!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andy
Leatherique will work ok at lower temperatures, just takes longer to soak in.

I love the leatherique product, but after leatherique I use a product by Claphams, link as follows:

Home - Clapham's

It has bees wax, so the finish ends up being a bit glossy compared with the almost matt finish of the leatherique (which many prefer to the greasy look of some treatments) but is very durable and smells nice. It also tends to mute minor leather scuffs much better than anything else.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Dan
Leatherique

I am curious what technique you use to get corners and stay away from controls, etc?
Cloth, sponge, etc??
Old 02-05-2017, 07:59 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Clyde E. McMurdy
My Garage
Quote:
Ok, this is just hard-core.

It's 30 outside here in NNJ and mine is begging me for a full detail including pulling the seats & cleaning the carpet.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:00 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Ed
Thanks for the tip on the Clapham's
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-06-2017, 06:20 AM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

Full Name: Dave Lelonek
My Garage
Lol!! Can you tell Dominic owns a HVAC company?

That is too cool, Dom (no pun intended)

No Stick-On Decals - All Graphics Laser Etched

Durable, Mar - Resistant Coatings

www.stickyrxrs.com dave.lelonek@stickyrxrs.com
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I hope this doesn't happen to you, but some of us here have found that soaking seats in Leatherique at elevated temps has resulted in a sticky film that's very, very difficult to remove. In case it matters to you or anyone else, the best thing I've found to remove that film is regular off-the-shelf Zymol leather cleaner in the amber spray bottle.

Again, I hope it's a total non-issue for you, but thought I'd throw it out there for the benefit of the archives. In any case, I love your side window heating duct idea.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Bruce Roche
Zaino leather treatment. Excellent results. Formula includes a sun screan.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Kearns
Quote:
I concocted this circus act ....
Hahaha, Pro tip!
Old 02-06-2017, 03:47 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Eric
I've had my leatherique soaking for 2 months.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mike View Post
I hope this doesn't happen to you, but some of us here have found that soaking seats in Leatherique at elevated temps has resulted in a sticky film that's very, very difficult to remove. In case it matters to you or anyone else, the best thing I've found to remove that film is regular off-the-shelf Zymol leather cleaner in the amber spray bottle.

Again, I hope it's a total non-issue for you, but thought I'd throw it out there for the benefit of the archives. In any case, I love your side window heating duct idea.
Thanks for that info Mike.
I wiped everything down today with the Pristine Cleaner an the leather seems just fine.
It did ave a slight tackiness to it before I wiped it down but the instructions claim that normal.
I would like to follow up with a leather dressing that gives it that leather smell.
I am not that crazy about the Leatherique scent but eventually the natural leather scent usually returns
Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

Full Name: Dave Lelonek
My Garage
Interesting Dom as I like Leatherique sent and personally, I think it helps restore the natural leather scent. Chemical guys conditioner smells great but it's too shinny.

No Stick-On Decals - All Graphics Laser Etched

Durable, Mar - Resistant Coatings

www.stickyrxrs.com dave.lelonek@stickyrxrs.com
Old 02-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
My 575 and my 430 have entirely different leather scents.
The first time I ever sat in my 575 the scent brought me back to my high school days.
The 575 scent is exactly like my 1978 Vette I had. My 430 smells more like a leather jacket with a spicey scent
Both smell good just different.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andy
Smile

Our 360 interior smells like a vintage Rolls or Jag because I use Gliptone on the upholstery. Pretty strong scent but I like it and it's done a great job on my leather over the years. If you like the scent, Gliptone sells "scent cards" you can put under the seat to keep that fresh Rolls aroma for 3 or 4 months
Old 02-10-2017, 12:50 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
I've had my car for a couple years and want to treat the leather too but have to admit its a bit confusing. So far I've only used Zymol leather cleaner on the whole interior. Man is there a lot of leather! Lots of contorting and must be flexible especially to get to rear window/roof areas from the front seats.

Am a bit cautious to use Leatherique due to all the temp cycling and cleaning steps. Also rumors of: White residue? Tacky? Shiny? The Zymol cleaner has a slight smell that dissipates very quickly leaving only the factory leather smell. The question is what to treat it with that will leave the leather with the original factory matte finish, no surface tackiness and original leather smell while feeding it and keeping it supple. Does such a product exist?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:09 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Arvid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mike View Post

This exact thing happened to me and I could not get rid of the problem. Both the seats and door panels where sticky and not very presentable. Leatherique had never heard of the problem and I do not dare use it again after refurbishing/respraying the total interior.

This was almost 40 years old original leather with faded and oxidized color. I believe the general condition of the leather had something to do with the sad result. Leather in better condition would maybe cope with the deep penetrating product better.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:02 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
This exact thing happened to me and I could not get rid of the problem. Both the seats and door panels where sticky and not very presentable. Leatherique had never heard of the problem and I do not dare use it again after refurbishing/respraying the total interior.

This was almost 40 years old original leather with faded and oxidized color. I believe the general condition of the leather had something to do with the sad result. Leather in better condition would maybe cope with the deep penetrating product better.
Well...I don't know if it is relevant, but there is a door in the family house that consists of a wood frame and leather panels over this; it is used as sound-proofing against another one (each one being on one side of a stone wall 70 cm thick). That leather door is original to the house, so was manufactured in 1770. I treat this 250 years old leather with leatherique, and never had any problem.

And I have been treating the leather of both my 328s with Leatherique for almost ten years and never had any problem whatsover; Im very happy with it and wouldn't use anything else. The leather is original and has not be resprayed.
But you can never be 100% sure with leather beforehand.

Rgds