How to use Leatherique - Video by ESOTERIC! | FerrariChat

How to use Leatherique - Video by ESOTERIC!

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Esoteric Auto Detail, Feb 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    We have received so many inquiries over the years by Leatherique, that it only made sense for us to create a comprehensive video tutorial on the subject.

Our information comes from many years of first hand experience with the product (with a high number of Ferraris!), and a close relationship with the company. In short...we know the Leatherique process well!

Please enjoy this tutorial, and feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

Leatherique Rejuvenator: https://www.esotericcarcare.com/leatherique-rejuvenator-oil/
    Leatherique Prestine Clean: https://www.esotericcarcare.com/leatherique-prestine-clean/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLr7igvCZc

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #2 Dave rocks, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks Dave! I used to use the foam brushes as well, but found that I like the control of the terry cloth applicator better. They both work just as well...just comes down to personal preference!

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Great video! Thanks for taking the time to make it. Makes me reconsider replacing my seats/leather and seeing how I can clean up the originals over the course of weeks vs. days.

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I'd like to point out something that happened to me. I used leatherique on my 1977 GTB when I bought it in 1999. Seats were old, dirty and dry. The piping was dry to a point it was missing some spot. The leatherique process did bring back life and softness to the leather and I was very impressed with the result BUT...... my seat were red and the process removed a lot of the dye and the color became very transparent and to be nice would have needed a complete redye.

I would recommend trying it on a hidden spot before doing the front surface on older seats if someone doesn't want to go to a complete redye job. I ended up replacing the covers after some years because a redye would not have done the job with the piping condition and some damaged spots.

6. tvg

tvg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2010
    Great video Todd! Thanks!

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes a great video with impressive result. This stuff is really amazing. I sincerely think everybody should use pristine clean to nurish the leather and avoid aging.

8. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is excellent, thanks!

9. Roward7

Roward7 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Thanks for posting video link, nicely done & helpful video :)

10. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Nice vid! Thanks.
    I've been using this stuff for years.
    Great product...And I learn something new looking at your video.
    Thanks again!

11. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great video. just bought these products! can't wait

12. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Patience is a virtue with Leatherique, especially with the older cars. I have been applying it for the last two weeks to the seats on my 1987 Benz 560SL. They are going to take a while to resurrect, but I can see the stuff working already.

13. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just a caution about being overly optimistic. I too thought I had brought an old leather couch back from the dead - it looked really good. The problem was that the leather itself had become so weak that it just started to fall apart. The dried leather before I started was fully intact and had remained that way for a few years. Within a month of the Leatherique, I had several 3-10" tears in the leather cushions.

14. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good point. Very good point. At least I can still get new leather seat outers if these turn out to be too far gone.

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I just bought some of this from you guys. can't wait to use it. My seats are filthy.

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    So I've applied the rejuvenator and I'm not quite sure its working that well. My testarossa seats seem to have been repainted already. Would the redye prohibit the seats from absorbing the rejuventor? How do I tell if the seats are absorbing it?

17. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Possibly. I would call Leatherique. They are usually very helpful if you just call them.

18. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  19. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #19 Einsteiger, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    There is a guy in our local Benz Club section that did the Leatherique thing at full throttle: He removed the seats in his 380SL, light tan color, and did the whole magilla: cleaned like crazy, sanded the leather to remove all the color and previous crap, did the leather dye from Leatherique and followed the directions 100%. The results were nothing short of amazing. It looked like he went out and bought new leather covers. The disclaimer is that this is a lot of work - he spent a lot of hours doing it the right way, but it paid off big-time.

20. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    So what does everyone use for the leather dash, rear shelf and doors? Same Leatherique 2 step process or just Pristine clean? I have done the 2 step for everything g and it is exhausting. Is it necessary or just Pristine Clean?

21. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    For a maintenance application using just Pristine Clean is fine!

22. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    My seats were redyed in 2006. I'm not sure of the extent of the work, but I did find the invoice in my stack of maintenance records. I am very concerned Leatherique will remove the dye and leave me with a repair. Is there any special instructions I should follow or should I look elsewhere for a milder cleaner/conditioner?

23. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Leatherique should not cause any issues. Please test in an inconspicuous area beforehand.

24. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I pulled my seats out and did the full treatment. 1983 308QV, with 20K original miles. The seats were near perfect except for the drivers side bolster. When the Pristine Clean went on, the dye came off in splotches. I called Leatherique, and got a call back a few days later. The lady told me that this is common, and really no big deal..........just re-dye!
    No big deal?????
    So is this a common problem?

25. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Glassman,

This sounds like a case of a poor dye job rather than Leatherique being too aggressive. We have treated many re-dyed seats over the years without issue.

In your case it would seem that in the re-dying process the leather was not properly prepped in order for proper adhesion between the dye and the leather.