suntek questions | FerrariChat

suntek questions

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ross, Apr 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i spoke to jay cavallo recently and he made a good case for suntek vs xpel (that i have tried before).

but, here are questions i forgot to ask....

if you do vast areas of the car (i have only previously done noses), do you polish that? or does it just stay shiny?

if you decide to wrap the whole car with a matte clear film, how do you clean that? ie, when you wash the car, how do you dry it? do you do anything else?

if you have matte wrap, does it hide any imperfections? dings, chips etc?

where can i see what a matte clear suntek finished car looks like in houston?

2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Hi Ross. What did you mean about the first question (polishing or staying shiny)?

The matte film is cleaned the same you would with the paint or glossy film. Easy wash and dry. We have ceramic coated matte films in the past and it still super easy to maintain.

Matte will hide most imperfections. I had an R8 in matte Sepang Blue that had a big long scratch down the side but it wasn't through the paint. The problem was that being matte I couldn't do anything to remove it so we wrapped it in matte ppf and it completely hid the scratch.

For glossy we love Suntek but for matte Xpel does look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    wow jay, you are quick !

so a fully wrapped car no longer requires any waxing or polishing, you just wash and blow dry it and you are done? every time?

to clarify my question on the matte wrap.... if the present car has imperfections - stone chips or scratches, does wrapping it in matte film hide those such that you dont need to touch these up prior to putting the wrap on? or if you do touch them up, they will really be undetectable with matte wrap?

4. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    I did full Suntek Matte/Satin Wrap on my entire 488.

I have mobile detailer wash my car every other week or so. Main thing is that they use a NON wax car wash with lots of suds, NEW rags every time for the wash, NEW rags every time to dry off after using air blower. No wax products ever. They use Matte finish specific products only for both the exterior and interior. I went with Satin as its much easier to keep clean than the matte wraps. Suntek has their satin film called "Stealth" which is what I went with. Freakin awesome, and no finger prints like Matte finish wraps have problems with. Here is time lapse of when they wrapped my car. Hope that info helps.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBN-yklJOwc[/ame]

5. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    #5 F12KID, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017

You will need, and will want, to maintain the PPF by polishing it as there is a layer of clear coat over the polyurethane.....

Unfortunately stone chips are not "hidden" by the PPF, they merely sit as an imperfection under the PPF.....cat comment about touch-up paint prior because I don't believe in touching-up.....I believe chips, knicks, and bruises resulting from driving become part of the cars character......

P.S. Hope your chat at end of Q1 went well.....

6. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree about the touch up, will never look perfect. I will however fill in the void to make it blend better , but it will NEVER look 100%.

Have the car coating in something like modesta. Very glossy, durable, and long lasting. waxing will be a thing of the past for you if you coat the film.