Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Detailing & Showroom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Best Drying Towels

I had a 24x36 synthetic chamois that lasted 20 years and it was the best at absorbing water - better than most microfiber or "absorber" stuff that is on the market. However, it is old and I need to get a new one. I haven't found anything that is close and I never knew the brand that I had except it was gifted to me by a car detailer.

What is the most absorbent streak free drying towel that is on the market today? Waffle weave microfiber? Synthetic chamois? or something else that I have never even heard of?

Thanks!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-16-2017, 11:25 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko23 View Post
I had a 24x36 synthetic chamois that lasted 20 years and it was the best at absorbing water - better than most microfiber or "absorber" stuff that is on the market. However, it is old and I need to get a new one. I haven't found anything that is close and I never knew the brand that I had except it was gifted to me by a car detailer.

What is the most absorbent streak free drying towel that is on the market today? Waffle weave microfiber? Synthetic chamois? or something else that I have never even heard of?

Thanks!

Chemical guys Woolly Mammoth....
Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

If you can get away with using a leaf blower or dedicated air drier that's a much, much better way to go than using towels. That's the way I dry my cars so I can't help with towel choices. You could probably find some good advice on the detailing forums though.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:43 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mike View Post
If you can get away with using a leaf blower or dedicated air drier that's a much, much better way to go than using towels. That's the way I dry my cars so I can't help with towel choices. You could probably find some good advice on the detailing forums though.
What blower you recommend?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:20 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

I'm a cheapskate so I use a leaf blower but the people who own these really seem to love them: The Metro Master Blaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower.

I don't recall hearing anything bad about them.

Autogeek runs some decent sales on occasion so if you're not in a hurry just sign up for their emails and bide your time until you can get one for 20-25% off and free shipping, since they really ding you on the shipping otherwise.

Using air really reduces micro scratches and increases the life of whatever protectant you have on the paint.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
I'm a cheapskate so I use a leaf blower but the people who own these really seem to love them: The Metro Master Blaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower.

I don't recall hearing anything bad about them.

Autogeek runs some decent sales on occasion so if you're not in a hurry just sign up for their emails and bide your time until you can get one for 20-25% off and free shipping, since they really ding you on the shipping otherwise.

Using air really reduces micro scratches and increases the life of whatever protectant you have on the paint.
Thank you very much. Ordered!
Old 06-17-2017, 05:12 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

My advice is get the unit with the longer (30 foot) hose, which makes the blower much more useable. After using this method you will never go back to using towels to dry a car or motorcycle.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBP View Post
After using this method you will never go back to using towels to dry a car or motorcycle.
So true.

Hope it works well for you, F12KID.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Joseph Troutwine
Quote:
Originally Posted by F12KID View Post
Thank you very much. Ordered!
I think you are really going to like this unit. I have had one for five years and use it a lot. It really gets the dirty water out of seams etc. that no towel can get into. One thing to look out for though. If you use it on a normal 15 amp receptacle it will occasionally trip the breaker (this happened at two different homes that I had). Those two motors really put out. I had a dedicated 20 amp put in the garage and no problems with it.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jason Cavallo
The metrovacs are great. I would advise using a very soft and absorbent towel to follow behind as your blowing the water out. Sometimes if you miss something you will have water spots. The other thing I noticed while using the metrovac is since it is heating up the water it tends to dry it on the surface sometimes if the droplets are small and this creates a water spot. Chasing with a towel in your other hand will remove the residual water that isn't fully blown away. I only use Microfiber Madness towels to dry with. I love their Dry Me Crazy towels. Super soft and very absorbent. Carpro-us sells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Best Drying Towels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Joe View Post
I think you are really going to like this unit. I have had one for five years and use it a lot. It really gets the dirty water out of seams etc. that no towel can get into. One thing to look out for though. If you use it on a normal 15 amp receptacle it will occasionally trip the breaker (this happened at two different homes that I had). Those two motors really put out. I had a dedicated 20 amp put in the garage and no problems with it.

I bought from uk so I presume they will supply me with the correct voltage etc....thanks for the heads-up....finally, the ultimate drying machine
Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
If you are still looking for an excellent drying towel: Griot's PFM towels are the best out there in my opinion. The best I have used and are simply amazing.

I also have the Master Blaster and love it! You will not be disappointed.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

I use Ammo NYC's Hydrate and his microfiber.....looks great and I can't handle micro scratches
Old 06-17-2017, 04:53 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F12KID View Post
I bought from uk so I presume they will supply me with the correct voltage etc....thanks for the heads-up....finally, the ultimate drying machine
Joe was referring to the fact that the electric motor draws more current than most household appliances and is therefore right at the edge of the load capacity of the typical circuit here in the States. So don't expect to be able to run anything else on the same circuit at the same time and be prepared for the possibility that you'll need a dedicated circuit that will handle the load, at least if your circuit ampacity standards are the same as ours.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:58 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Joe was referring to the fact that the electric motor draws more current than most household appliances and is therefore right at the edge of the load capacity of the typical circuit here in the States. So don't expect to be able to run anything else on the same circuit at the same time and be prepared for the possibility that you'll need a dedicated circuit that will handle the load, at least if your circuit ampacity standards are the same as ours.

Ahh got it....no idea, way beyond my technical capacity....there is only one plug where this will be used so I guess/hope I'm safe....
Old 06-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcdds View Post
I use Ammo NYC's Hydrate and his microfiber.....looks great and I can't handle micro scratches
Absolutely love this combo....Hydrate is the real deal.

*info for others*....the purpose of hydrate is to add lubricant between the towel and paint to prevent scratches....and as a bonus it also adds an extra layer of protectant to the paint.

Larry, guy in video who created hydrate, takes care of a couple fchatters cars.

Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Has anyone used the AMMO paint protection method and washing? Seems very complex.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

What happened to the old ways of using Pinnacle Wax and then some clay bar once a year?
Old 06-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Tony
My car is coated so I use leaf blower to get most of the water off. Then I use the Gyeon Q2M Silk Drying Towel. The towel is AMAZING! I use no pressure and simply pull the towel across the surface. It sucks up water like you wouldn't believe. I highly recommend it. Available at Esoteric.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:44 AM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

Full Name: Dave Lelonek
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_ View Post
Absolutely love this combo....Hydrate is the real deal.

*info for others*....the purpose of hydrate is to add lubricant between the towel and paint to prevent scratches....and as a bonus it also adds an extra layer of protectant to the paint.

Larry, guy in video who created hydrate, takes care of a couple fchatters cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hzJImmvNU
This guy does make some nice videos but man - he talks WAY too much

No Stick-On Decals - All Graphics Laser Etched

Durable, Mar - Resistant Coatings

www.stickyrxrs.com dave.lelonek@stickyrxrs.com