Full car clear bra question | FerrariChat

Full car clear bra question

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by RCorsa, Jul 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I'm looking at doing my 488 spider in full clear bra to protect the Bianco Fuji paint. The installer has explained that the side mirrors present an unusual problems since there is no way to stretch the film around the mirror. Thus the mirrors have to be removed (trucked to the dealer and back before and after the install) or have a small seam above the mirror door interface. I assume there are many on here that have done the full bra and would love to hear what thier experience has been what they did and how it turned out. Thanks in advance

2. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    To continue from the other thread... our head installer told me the 488 mirrors require multiple ppf pieces so there would be seams, but in the right hands it could be done so it wasn't offensive.

Good luck and please post some after photos once complete!

3. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Thanks Ryan. Yes I it's pretty standard that the mirrors themselves have to be in pieces. The part I am worried about is the door panel itself since the mirror is on the door. What do your installers say about that? Thanks

4. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    On the 488 we wrap a full door panel with one piece. Mirror and door handle do get removed.

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    The mirrors are on the door on my NB 2000 Miata. It has always been a pain to clean that patch of paint and treat the top seal between there, and the triangular A pillar window. A seam there would be no big deal for the benefit the wrap gives. On my 360, one of the 2 previous owners applied the fender wrap OVER the factory wheel well wrap, leaving a small bubble seam between the two. It's nice to have two layers but that was kinda dumb. Remove the small sheet, apply the big sheet, apply a new small sheet. You have to be close to see but it's obvious when you are washing it. I'm not sure whether to wrap the whole side skirt or just the front angle on the new Giulia.

6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    How do you get the wrap around the mirror which is attached to the door?

7. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #7 John_K_348, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Usually just a front patch? Not sure about 488 shape.

... Just checked, Yeah same idea with maybe some corners folded over. Mounting stalk might not get anything. I think both my 348 and 360 have been done that way. But you can cut a piece as small as you want and even wrap the sections since they turn in. Since they are off for the doors, you can break them down a little more or wrap by hand.

8. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I have a Suntek full wrap on my 458, same design and same issue when wrapping the entire car. I was told removing the mirrors is long and pricey, with some risks. I decided not to do it and have this small seam you mentioned. It is almost not visible on my car (Bianco Avus) and I am very happy with the result. I don't think it is worth spending extra money removing those mirrors, especially when you consider you have to change it after few years.

9. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    The mirror gets wrapped while on the car, after the door is wrapped while the mirror is off.

Is that what you are asking?

-- Ryan at ESOTERIC

10. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Definitely up to the customer. Some want the extra craftsmanship options that come with complete disassembly while straight pattern work can still look great. We also know these installs can last more than just a few years since we warranty them to 10 :)

We also have Suntek in our arsenal and Ultra is on the front of my car.

-- Ryan

11. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Exactly. Thanks! I've heard about 50% say to remove the mirror and 50% just wrap around it with a small seam at the top of the door/mirror interface. If my installer feels comfortable I'm going to leave it up to him as he's done amazing work on my other cars. I really appreciate your input. Do you guys remove the mirrors yourself or have a ferrari dealer or body shop do it?

12. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    What film will you be using? We have had three 488's within the last two weeks get fully wrapped and left the mirrors on. Suntek film was used and the lines are harder to see then say Xpel so it wasn't a big deal to the clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Glad to help. Yes, we remove the mirrors and do pretty much all disassembly in-house.

14. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Great thanks for the input. Too bad you guys are not in my area, although I've bought stuff from you guys before! To answer the other question, I'm doing Suntek ultimate with a ceramic coating on top.

15. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Hello Ryan. I PM you in case you get the emails. If not was wondering if my installer could talk to you or your tech for a couple of minutes in the mirror removal. Obviously no responsibility on you guys. Just a favor. Let me know. Thanks.

16. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Film came out amazing. After some research on the door panel removal the shop was able to remove the mirrors. They said it was very easy to do once they knew how. The car is seam free and looks perfect on the triple layer paint. Thanks for all your input folks.

17. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    any chance of a close up photo ?

18. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Ferrari paint is notoriously weak. My installer (one of the best in the area) has told me that he's had several 458s with small spots of peeled paint after film is removed. This is even when all precautions are used such as pulling slowly in the right direction, applying heat/steam, etc. He says its only on some ferraris and repainted cars where he has issues. While I understand the desire to protect the car, I don't believe its worth the risk of destroying factory paint if you ever need to replace the film.

19. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Well thankfully my car isn't painted by Ferrari. Tripple layers are done off site and for the first time in 10 years my paint required no correction.