The Beer Thread | FerrariChat

The Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by SefacHotRodder, Jan 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I know there's a "best beer" thread but i think there should be a thread dedicated to what people think about "regular" beers. I usually end up going to the local place maybe once or twice a week and i really try to get a different 6 pack of beer every time i go. They don't seem to have much selection of well known single bottles but then again i only got into beer a few months ago so hopefully this thread will help me and some other people out.

I went down to the local store today and was informed Victory (one of my favorite breweries) was having a tasting session and if i bought two 6 packs i'd get a free pint glass. I ended up trying their Storm King seasonal. I only had taster but i liked it and bought a 6er. I also bought a 6 of their Golden Monkey which is oohh so good but will knock you off your feet if you're not careful (9.5ABV).

I also got some guiness (a must have. Duh) and some Paulaner Hefeweizen which i'm drinking right now. Hefeweizen is my favorite type of beer and before drinking this, Harpoon's UFO was my favorite but after having this, its been bumped down to #2. Its very very nice

I'll update when i have the Storm King

Anyone else try anything interesting lately?

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    No Bud or Heiny? That's a regular....I don't drink..:eek:

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Picked up a sixer of Heiny Dark last night. Good stuff. I remember my uncle brought some with him from Florida years back. He, nor I couldn't find it here.

A couple weeks ago I bought Schlitz just to be funny. Tasted pretty bad.

Been thinking about getting some Pabst for the hell of it.

I noticed last weekend that they now sell 24-pack bottles of Miller Light now. Pretty cool.

4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 SefacHotRodder, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
    I consider there to be 4 types of beer: Party beer, average beer, good beer, premium beer

1)Party beer = Keystone, Natty etc. **** beer that is basically only bought by college kids

2) Average beer = Bud, Miller, Coors, Heiny (yep. I said it) etc

3) Good beer (the subject of this thread) - Stuff that is good and the average beer drinker doesn't know about. This includes imported beer as well as micro brews. Examples includes everything from Duvel to Leffe to guiness to beers by fairly well known breweries such as Victory, Magic Hat, Dogfish head, Harpoon. This is a HUGE group of beers and i pretty much drink beer only from this category.

4) Premium beer = Haven't really "experienced" much beer in this category yet. These are the beers that you have to search for to drink. If you look at some of the beer forums there are people talking about travelling 3+ hours to experience beers in certain places (someone in MD was talking about driving to Philly for the chance to try a rare seasonal brew). I'm honeslty not interested in this group yet because there is WAAAY too much stuff to get confused over so i've decided to concentrate on my "good beer" choices for now. Basically, 85% of this list fits into this category: http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers

That is my opinion and it might change over time (hopefully it will once i learn more and more)

Thoughts?

(I also need to finish the Windows On The World Wine Course book i have which is a WHOLE different world. I'm hoping by the end of this year i will be resonably knowledgable on beer and wine and maybe scotch ;) )

5. ScuderiaShield

ScuderiaShield Karting

Sep 20, 2008
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I like some of Kona Brewing Co's beers. They have a winter seasonal called Pipeline Porter which is made with Kona Coffee. Their summer seasonal is Wailua Wheat which is a lighter Hefe and made with Passion Fruit. It's a great after dinner beer on a summer night.

If you're out west Four Peaks Brewing Company (AZ) has some great beers.

6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Chris, not sure how far from Philly you are but if you're not too far, head downtown and find Monk's Cafe. It is a great starting place to learn about beer, especially Premium beer as you've defined it.

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #7 SefacHotRodder, Jan 30, 2009
    Thanks. There are a few places in Philly i want to go to. Monks bar is one and another one is the Grey Lodge

There is also Philly beer week in March which i might head down to

8. ScuderiaShield

ScuderiaShield Karting

Sep 20, 2008
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Can you get ahold of Brooklyn Lager down in Philly?

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I will check next time i'm in the local beer place. I've seen Brooklyn stuff there but i'm not sure if its the lager or not. Do you want some if i can find it?

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I agree with your assessment. For me "good" beer is my "average" beer - primarily Bass Ale, but I'll drink Guinness and some of the other craft beers.

With the worsening economy, I've dipped down into the "average" beer category, but not for the love of it. Actually, Yuengling is good stuff for lower priced beer.

If you want a premium beer, brew it yourself. Literally nothing better, and you get to enjoy the making of it as well as the tasting of it.

11. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 SefacHotRodder, Jan 30, 2009
    Sounds right to me. I had a guiness last night too. Yuengling is decent. I never really got into it. Its brewed kinda near me.

I want to brew stuff myself but right now i just don't have the time or patience. My dad said he tried it once and it turned out like ****. Maybe i'll do it over the summer when i have some free time...

My favorite beer right now is Duvel but at $12 for a 4 pack, i only get it once in a while. I appreciate it more that way too

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I experienced a similar long-delayed-because-of-fruitless-search reunion two months ago. Reunited... and it feels so gooooooood....

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Might be interested in flying up if its not my daughter's birthday weekend....send me info on it.

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #14 SefacHotRodder, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://www.phillybeerweek.org/

I've already told my friend who turns 21 the week before that we're going. He also lives in Philly so we can just jump on the train. I'm done with classes at 2:50 on Monday and Wednesday and on Friday i'm done at 11:30 so i'll definatley try to make it a few days

EDIT: Whoa! They're doing a tasting within 5 mins of my apartment! Sweet....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'll look into the March 6-7 timeframe.

16. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Eeek. I might not be around. We were going to go to AC for my friends' 21st that weekend. I will find out details next week

17. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    10-4

18. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    I don't drink beer as regularly as Vodka, but when I do I have my favorites.

Sleemans Creme Ale or Honey Brown used to be what I would opt for, but that seems to have gone the way of the do-do lately. Been trying some new things.

My new favorite for a "session" brew is Okanagan Springs' "1516". Pretty good stuff, mild, but not wishy-washy.

Guinness of course is a good one when you're out at the pub, having a meal. Bit too heavy to drink to get drunk kind of thing, but good if you're doing it for taste.

Tried Duvel, was... very good flavor wise, quite sweet and light, but the alcohol content was a bit strong for my liking. Still, for a once in a while type thing, its good.

Also another favorite that I've tried a couple times on tap is "Russels Cream Ale". Very very creamy, and rich, almost like chocolate, but all the same, very good. Probably my favorite if I could find it in a liquor store.

Another great simple beer that I forget the supplier of, its called Race Rocks. Amber ale as far as I can remember, Quite good also, along the lines as the sleemans or the 1516.

Anyway, thats my little beer world! :)

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    You live in Hamilton? That's not too far from me - I often go to DeLorenzo's in Robbinsville.

I am Jersey Shore, but Hamilton is just down 195 from me...howdy neighbor!

20. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Howdy! :)

I'm actually in Lawrenceville, right behind Quakerbridge Mall if you know the area. We should meet up sometime

21. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Don't forgegt about Theresa's Next Door in Wayne PA. I haven't been to Monks yet so I can't comment on it. Another GREAT place to drink in Philly is Eulogy in Old City. Theresa's has in my experience VERY knowledgable staff and equally good food. I'm looking into going to the Philly beer week also.

22. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks. Hope to see you at beer week :)

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good to hear.

I have to say I think Heiny Dark is the best of the bunch. Heiny and Heiny Light leave a after-taste the dark doesn't.

24. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yep, I know it well. I used to work in Trenton, and I frequently go to DeLorenzo's (as I mentioned - the best pizza in America BTW). I live out at the Jersey Shore, so I am 30-40 minutes east of you.

25. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cool!

I need to stock up on some Dead Guy ale. I love Rogue's stuff. Anyone else like it?