Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #5941  
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
I.T. Guy's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Full Name: Jason
Posts: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Congrats. What sport?
T


Oh yeah! Gymnastics!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"The shortest answer is doing the thing."
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #5942  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mississippi
Full Name: Chip A.
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Man, it's been dog years since I have veal cordon bleu. Sounds great.
T
LOL, same here! My Mom used to cook it for dinner when I was a wee lad in the 70s.

Maybe I should try it again, but as an adult I'm a conscientious objector to eating veal. Haha!
Reply With Quote
  #5943  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Full Name: Tom C
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
LOL, same here! My Mom used to cook it for dinner when I was a wee lad in the 70s.

Maybe I should try it again, but as an adult I'm a conscientious objector to eating veal. Haha!
LOL. Replace veal with chicken?!?
T
Reply With Quote
  #5944  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 PM
daviday's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Full Name: Davide
Posts: 1,265
Seared ahi tuna and a sesame salad with a flight of sauces. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2b1eeedb6c.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #5945  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:51 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Full Name: Tom C
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviday View Post
Seared ahi tuna and a sesame salad with a flight of sauces. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...2b1eeedb6c.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're channeling the same food gods!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ae93bed316.jpg
Ahi. Fresh from the grill. A little more done than yours (my wife would freak if her tuna showed up that pink!). Sides not yet decided. But, we've got a half bottle of Pouilly Fuisse to get through before we have to decide.

That salad looks great. More details?

T
Reply With Quote
  #5946  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 PM
daviday's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Full Name: Davide
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
We're channeling the same food gods!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ae93bed316.jpg
Ahi. Fresh from the grill. A little more done than yours (my wife would freak if her tuna showed up that pink!). Sides not yet decided. But, we've got a half bottle of Pouilly Fuisse to get through before we have to decide.

That salad looks great. More details?

T


Lol. That's awesome!

Salad was the ladies part - fresh arugula and romain mix, grated carrots, avocado with rice wine vinegar and sesame oil with toasted sesame seed. Perfect lite and tasty compliment.

We had a bit of an eating weekend - this hit the spot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5947  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:03 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Full Name: Tom C
Posts: 9,673
What's For Dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviday View Post
Lol. That's awesome!

Salad was the ladies part - fresh arugula and romain mix, grated carrots, avocado with rice wine vinegar and sesame oil with toasted sesame seed. Perfect lite and tasty compliment.

We had a bit of an eating weekend - this hit the spot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That salad sounds good!

Yeah, us too. We had a Thanksgiving redux. Grilled/smoked turkey on the Big Green Egg, cranberry sauce, corn bread stuffing, broccoli, corn on the cob. Invited friends over. Good wines enjoyed, a Beaujolais. Or, two! So, a little light dinner tonight was in order...T
Reply With Quote
  #5948  
Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 PM
I.T. Guy's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Full Name: Jason
Posts: 7,079
What's For Dinner?

It's fish night at Ferrichat!

Looks good guys!

Oven baked Haddock here, no pics we wolfed it down and took the kids to see Beauty and the Beast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"The shortest answer is doing the thing."
Reply With Quote
  #5949  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 PM
arizonaitalian's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Various
Posts: 6,095
What's For Dinner?

Fish night was a few days ago for me:

Blackened Ahi over pearl cous cous with zucchini, mint and feta.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6ba6b59bd4.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #5950  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 PM
FiveLiterEater96's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Full Name: Andrew
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaitalian View Post
Fish night was a few days ago for me:

Blackened Ahi over pearl cous cous with zucchini, mint and feta.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6ba6b59bd4.jpg
Wow! That looks great! How do you know whats safe?
Reply With Quote
  #5951  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM
arizonaitalian's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Various
Posts: 6,095
What's For Dinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLiterEater96 View Post
How do you know whats safe?


I "rarely" eat fish at home and only buy it when's it high grade and very fresh. After that, I don't worry (perhaps wrongly). I figure two things; (i) it's the surface you have to worry about, and (ii) I eat loads of sushi and it's safe :-)
Reply With Quote
  #5952  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM
FiveLiterEater96's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Full Name: Andrew
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaitalian View Post
I "rarely" eat fish at home and only buy it when's it high grade and very fresh. After that, I don't worry (perhaps wrongly). I figure two things; (i) it's the surface you have to worry about, and (ii) I eat loads of sushi and it's safe :-)
I'd love to try making something like this but it always makes me nervous.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #5953  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:14 AM
SCFerrari's Avatar
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Carolina
Full Name: Rob
Posts: 1,268
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonaitalian View Post
Fish night was a few days ago for me:

Blackened Ahi over pearl cous cous with zucchini, mint and feta.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6ba6b59bd4.jpg
Looks great !
Reply With Quote
  #5954  
Old 03-21-2017, 08:21 AM
I.T. Guy's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Full Name: Jason
Posts: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLiterEater96 View Post
Wow! That looks great! How do you know whats safe?
Tastes like chicken keep on lickin'
Smells like trout get the **** out.


Fish should smell fresh and mild, not fishy, sour, or ammonia-like.

Here's a quick guide:
https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm077331.htm
__________________
"The shortest answer is doing the thing."
Reply With Quote
  #5955  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mississippi
Full Name: Chip A.
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy View Post
Tastes like chicken keep on lickin'
Smells like trout get the **** out.


Fish should smell fresh and mild, not fishy, sour, or ammonia-like.

Here's a quick guide:
https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm077331.htm
Reminds me of the old story when Warren Beatty was dating Madonna and he tried to impress her by cooking dinner. As the story goes, he left fish out to "marinate" all afternoon before cooking it. They both got food poisoning and had to have their stomachs pumped! LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #5956  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:56 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Full Name: Tom C
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.T. Guy View Post
Tastes like chicken keep on lickin'
Smells like trout get the **** out.


Fish should smell fresh and mild, not fishy, sour, or ammonia-like.

Here's a quick guide:
https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm077331.htm
Yep, I would try to find a high-end grocer or dedicated fish monger, who sells sushi grade tuna, and give it a whiff. If there's any funk, pass.

Color is another good guide.
https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-tel...out-tasting-it

As someone said above, surface is often the biggest worry. So, hot sear all around, and don't forget the side, especially if you have a thick tuna steak…T
Reply With Quote
  #5957  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Full Name: Tom C
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
Reminds me of the old story when Warren Beatty was dating Madonna and he tried to impress her by cooking dinner. As the story goes, he left fish out to "marinate" all afternoon before cooking it. They both got food poisoning and had to have their stomachs pumped! LOL!
Yikes. I've done ceviche, but always marinate in the fridge, and smaller chunks to make sure the acid permeates.

T
Reply With Quote
  #5958  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM
RGVA's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 942
Wife is out of town. Might have to do a Seinfeld and go for a bowl of cereal. Wait... still have plenty of steak leftovers.
Reply With Quote
  #5959  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:46 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: DFW, Texas
Full Name: Tom C
Posts: 9,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVA View Post
Wife is out of town. Might have to do a Seinfeld and go for a bowl of cereal. Wait... still have plenty of steak leftovers.

No! You have so many bachelor options! Ground beef mixed with mac and cheese. Order a pizza. Hot wings. Cup of ramen.
Etc. All washed down with Old Milwaukee. Channel your inner bachelor!
T
Reply With Quote
  #5960  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:44 PM
RGVA's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
No! You have so many bachelor options! Ground beef mixed with mac and cheese. Order a pizza. Hot wings. Cup of ramen.
Etc. All washed down with Old Milwaukee. Channel your inner bachelor!
T
I almost said Raman noodles! Don't think we have any. Sad. What a bachelor staple! Thought Chinese delivery but leftover porterhouse will work just fine! Been chill'n in front of the chimenea with bourbon and cheese-it's... guess I have to go dig thru the fridge.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/drink-smoke-fine-dining/280174-whats-dinner.html
Posted By For Type Date
What's For Dinner? - Page 151 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 04-16-2016 03:57 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.