Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Gregg
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker57676 View Post
Brisket on 7:30am.

Mark

PS: Sorry we couldn't make it last night, the in-laws had us tied up for quite a while. Happy birthday, I hope you all had a great time last night.
Could you rub a piece on the 'puter screen I just might be able to smell it, the mind works in mysterious ways!!!!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mark Severino
After....

Here you go Gregg.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (46.0 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (86.1 KB, 291 views)
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Sameer
Quote:
Here you go Gregg.

Mark
Mmmm .. looks juicy!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Kurt
That looks REALLY damned good Mark.

Thanks - the party was a blast. Weather sucked though, so Joe and Lorenzo didn't drive their Ferraris over.

For grub I only grilled habenero brats, all other cooking was indoors: shrimp and rabbit gumbo, red beans and rice, greens and corn pone. Last time I cooked rabbit gumbo was 10 years ago in Germany for friends who wanted to taste "American" food.

Gotta fire up the smoker again soon, that brisket gets MY juices flowing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gumbo 1.jpg (69.0 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg rabbit 1.jpg (74.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg rabbit 2.jpg (62.7 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg gumbo 2.jpg (60.1 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by Nurburgringer; 04-29-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_sam View Post
Mmmm .. looks juicy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurburgringer View Post
That looks REALLY damned good Mark.

Thanks - the party was a blast. Weather sucked though, so Joe and Lorenzo didn't drive their Ferraris over.

For grub I only grilled habenero brats, all other cooking was indoors: shrimp and rabbit gumbo, red beans and rice, greens and corn pone. Last time I cooked rabbit gumbo was 10 years ago in Germany for friends who wanted to taste "American" food.

Gotta fire up the smoker again soon, that brisket gets MY juices flowing!
Thank you gentlemen. And Kurt, that gumbo looks pretty awesome, what all is in there besides the bunnies, sausage, and shrimp?

Mark
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Pretty basic gumbo recipe tuned up just a bit: dark rioux (made with the leftover duck fat I browned the rabbit with), onion celery and bell pepper, water, ~1c burgundy, S&P thyme and a little cayenne. Simmered for 2 hrs the night before then reheated and finished with gulf shrimp and file powder. I'm not crazy about okra, unless it's deep fried.
One twist, after sweating the veggies in the rioux and transferring from the iron skillet to the pot, I deglazed the pan with about a cup of coffee leftover from the morning.
Had red-eye gravy on my mind I guess, but it smelled great so dumped it in the pot.
I like it over japanese-style sticky rice.
Just nuked a bowl for dinner tonight. Even better 2 days later!
FYI - Got the rabbits (and a smoked hock for the red beans) at http://www.bunzels.com/ meat market. Excellent place!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rioux 1.jpg (54.6 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg trinity.jpg (59.5 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg rabbit 3.jpg (42.0 KB, 270 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

I love the fact you used rabbit as I love rabbit especially fried but I'm not picky.

I would love a full "cook book" rundown of your recipe for that gumbo, you could pm or email it to me, and there are a few meat markets around town that sell rabbit.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Gregg - here's a good basic recipe for gumbo - except he doesn't include green bell pepper which is crazy IMO: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/big-charlies-gumbo/
I don't like tomatoes or okra in my gumbo (nor do I add sugar or Worchestershire sc), usually use vegetable oil for the rioux, and saute the veggies in the finished rioux rather than a separate pan but otherwise it's about the same.
Rioux is the key. It will take at least 10 minutes standing over the pan (cast iron, preferably) stirring almost constantly while keeping an eye on the heat (medium-ish) to sloooooowly brown the flour until it's a dark brick color. In the photo above the rioux was probably ~75% there. If it's smoking it's burned and you've got to start over. After that the rest is easy peasy.
Had another bowl for lunch today.... mmmmmmmm.... the depth of flavor is just incredible and the rabbit literally falls off the bone.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Gregg - here's a good basic recipe for gumbo - except he doesn't include green bell pepper which is crazy IMO: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/big-charlies-gumbo/
I don't like tomatoes or okra in my gumbo (nor do I add sugar or Worchestershire sc), usually use vegetable oil for the rioux, and saute the veggies in the finished rioux rather than a separate pan but otherwise it's about the same.
Rioux is the key. It will take at least 10 minutes standing over the pan (cast iron, preferably) stirring almost constantly while keeping an eye on the heat (medium-ish) to sloooooowly brown the flour until it's a dark brick color. In the photo above the rioux was probably ~75% there. If it's smoking it's burned and you've got to start over. After that the rest is easy peasy.
Had another bowl for lunch today.... mmmmmmmm.... the depth of flavor is just incredible and the rabbit literally falls off the bone.
Thank you. I also prefer my okra fried as I do not like the snot it puts into the gumbo especially after it gets cold and if you just want a late night taste.

Last edited by texasmr2; 05-01-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Josh
this thread reminds me I need a new grill. or two one for camping would be nice also. Used to have a brinkmann (sold when moving) considering a smokey joe for camping and not sure what to get for a nice big grill

Would love a traeger..
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Next weekend I'll be firing up the smoke box for a big ol feast - thinking 2 full racks of ribs, 2-3lbs beef short ribs, and a big filet of salmon on a plank towards the end, for the first time - but have been using the Smoke Hollow's gas grill quite a bit lately.
Last week did habenero brats and boneless country-style ribs marinated overnight in a can of Miller High Life and some Memphis rib rub, which came out fantastic.
Last night, in the rain, grilled up a salmon steak (farm raised from Canada, just couldn't justify $20/lb Coho...) and a lovely marlin steak, both brushed with a basic Yakitori Sauce (minus the cornstarch, reducing it for ~15 minutes on low is the way to go). Also threw some baby peppers on the top rack to roast, they were as sweet as candy.
Psyched about next weekend, come on nice weather!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brats and ribs.jpg (110.2 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg P1000391.jpg (99.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Talking

Now I'm hungry, AGAIN!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:38 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Excellent looking beef ribs and a beer can chicken just went on the smoker about 1:15 this afternoon. Tonight should be fine eatings!

Mark
Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Dinner's done!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beef ribs.jpg (81.3 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg chicken and beef ribs.jpg (59.4 KB, 202 views)
Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Advising Moderator

Full Name: Dirty Harry
Quote:
Gregg - here's a good basic recipe for gumbo - except he doesn't include green bell pepper which is against the law, and he should be beaten mercilessly
Fixed
Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax View Post
Fixed
thanks - I don't know beating anyone called "Big Charlie" mercilessly though, maybe just make him chop up a couple hundred pounds of bell peppers :P

Mark those beef ribs look phenomenal. Where'd you get em?

Had some friends over tonight so fired up the charcoal side of the Smoke Hollow. It's been a while since this section saw hot coals, and the 5 or 6 smoke sessions built up a lot of pork and beef fat that burned off in an impressive fire.
Grilled up chicken satay (breasts marinaded for a few hours in plain yogurt, curry, ginger and garlic) , yakatori chicken thighs (got a bit sooty from the fat-fire but still very tasty) buffalo flank steak for fajitas from the 'tosa farmer's market with a carne asada rub, Vidalia onion and a couple endives.
Nothing like cooking and eating outdoors in this kind of weather!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 6 2 grill fire.jpg (62.5 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 6 2 chicken.jpg (69.4 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 6 2 buffalo.jpg (74.9 KB, 192 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Nigel Tufnel
Quote:
Dinner's done!
I think you're on to something....

Better check outside for 18000 Mexicans on a pilgrimage.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lo;ug.jpg (39.1 KB, 194 views)
Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Kurt, the ribs were from Sendik's in Franklin. They really came out good. I was very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth550 View Post
I think you're on to something....

Better check outside for 18000 Mexicans on a pilgrimage.....
The crowds dispersed when I ate Jesus' face. He was delicious. No wonder so many people followed him.

Mark
Old 06-09-2012, 09:03 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Troy
My Garage
So many awesome ideas on this thread. Need to fire up the cooker soon. Just so hot down here to begin with.
The rabbit gumbo looks amazing Kurt. Grew up with poppa raising rabbits. Fried, stewed, grilled. And I'm one of the few southern boys who can't stand okra. Picked too much as a kid, and the texture is horrible. Might need to see what's up tonight.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Troy
My Garage
So I got motivated. Called some friends for dinner. Put two small butts on with my typical whatever looks good rub. Some shoulder steaks with a citrus/jerk seasoning, and some lemon pepper chicken quarters. Have some venison to go at the end. Blackeyed peas in the pot and some cabbage to fry. Should be a good night. Of course it decided to rain. Oh well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339272492.374722.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1339272559.774443.jpg