Kweichow Moutai in the USA? | FerrariChat

Kweichow Moutai in the USA?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Smiles, Mar 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can Kweichow Moutai be purchased in the USA?

I'm curious to try it, but I don't have any trips planned to China.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

2. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    There is a sorghum Bai Jiu sold by moutaiusa.com but I do not believe it is produced by Kweichow Moutai, which is the premium brand. Kweichow has had some significant price drops recently due to the government withdrawing price controls and corporate support of the brand- it is perhaps the most popular gift in business settings, and many a deal is brokered over a glass of it.

I think you can get it in Australia, and you can get other maotais and moutais in many countries (the town is Maotai, so the generic name of the liquor is that; Moutai is a brand name, kind of like bandage and band-aid). There is also a Moutai beer.

I've only had it once, and can attest it will catch your attention quickly (it will vary between 80-120 proof; the higher proofs should be enjoyed in a spark-free environment)...the old adage is that you know if you've been in China too long if you can sit down and enjoy a big glass of Bai Jiu...

Regards, Bob H

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for the reply, Bob!

Matt