Mint leaves | FerrariChat

Mint leaves

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Westworld, Sep 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I got a small package of mint leaves, and I love the flavor of mint, but I'm quite unsure how to use them.

1) How do you get the flavor from them? Do you need to extract the oils in a certain way?

2) What about making a mint mashed potatoes recipe using the leaves?

2. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  3. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Well, I want to use them in food. :)

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    We pick them away from the stem, and then chop them on a cutting board (not too fine, just enough to get them into manageable small pirces). We roll the chopped leaves into pork or beef for meatballs, use in salads, and have begun adding it to various other dishes. It also adds a great flavor to coleslaw. Don't use too much, but anytime you might use oregano or cilantro, try it with mint instead and you might be surprised at how good it is. Bob H

5. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Thanks, Bob!

Why away from the stem?

6. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    Just use the leaves, chiffonade them and add for desserts. The leaves muddled with sugar for cocktails.

Mint and lamb go perfectly together.
    Mint, yogurt, lemon juice and garlic make a great sauce for kabobs, gyros, kaftehs, etc.

Dice tomato, dice cucumber, dice red onion, add mint lemon juice and generous olive oil for a super refreshing salad.

7. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Like most other fresh herbs, the stems (the stalk) usually remains tough, even with cooking. For me, it's the part that usually winds up getting stuck in my teeth, etc. I only worry about the main stalk, and not so much about the stem of the individual leaf.

Chopping them helps release the oils that create the flavor, but we usually just rough chop when we add it to food. My wife is Lebanese, so I think she has a genetic imperative to add it to lamb, too. We've cut way back on red meat, so the mint really adds interest to whatever she makes.

Bob H

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mint Juleps!

Muddle leaves in a couple of teaspoons of sugar plus just a touch of bourbon at the bottom of a tall glass.
    Fill glass to top with more bourbon or add some soda water along the way and stir until leaves are well mixed. Delish but deadly ...

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Mint is also great in Vietnamese spring rolls...like a nice salad all rolled into a burrito...my kids love em so we make them all summer!