Espresso maker | FerrariChat

Espresso maker

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by forgeahead, Oct 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What do you guys use for a reasonably priced espresso machine?

2. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #2 Far Out, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    How serious are you? Are looking for a fully automatic machine?

I have a QuickMill Vetrano, but it's hardly "reasonably priced" by any definition. I find that if you are both serious about espresso and looking for a good, inexpensive espresso machine, the Gaggia line are where to start. They are capable of making excellent espresso, and are fairly inexpensive. Well, relatively speaking...

Also in my opinion, the grinder is the critical piece. More important than the machine itself. It used to be that you could buy used Mazzer grinders on ebay for a reasonable price, and end up with one of the best grinders in the world, but I think that train has left the station...

I have a Rancilio Rocky, and it's been great for many years, but again, hardly inexpensive.

I'd take a look at coffeegeek.com and see what the latest thing is. Let us know what you find out!

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

La Pavoni, the Mercedes of espresso makers.

5. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California
    #5 Ferrari-F1, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    La Marzocco GS3 or Synesso Hydra 1 Group, the ferrari and lambo of espresso machines.

7. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    If La Pavoni is the Mercedes of espresso makers, La Marzocco is definitely the Ferrari (I've got three of them).

But Donv is right, the critical piece is the grinder. Get yourself a good one. I like both Mazzer and Compak grinders, though Mahlkonig is very good too. If you're not quite ready to go hog wild, spend the money on a good grinder and a decent espresso machine. The grinder will last you many years and many machine upgrades.

To start out, the Rancilio Rocky for about $800 is a decent buy. Reasonably good to work with, many start out with that and learn the basics before upgrading to more capable machines. Vibiemme, La Pavoni, ECM and La Valentina are all great machines for home use and will run you $1500 to $2000. The high end machines, like the La Marzocco GS3, are pushing $5000.

If you're interested in the Mazzer, Compak or La Marzocco let me know. I'm a dealer for those lines and can do a good deal for fellow FChatters.

The thing about espresso is that it takes time, dedication and practice to make really good espresso - even more so if you want to make great cappuccinos and lattes. It's a lot of work but if you're in search of great espresso at home, it can be very rewarding. Some other online resources to review are Home-Barista.com and Coffeegeek.com

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    When Starbucks was making their transition to the superautos several years ago, you could buy Mazzer Super Jollys and Majors on eBay all day long... I could never convince my wife that it was worth the counter space.

I always wanted a Super Jolly with a Mini hopper...

My other problem with the Mazzers is the doser... for commercial use, it makes total sense, but for home use you end up wasting a lot of coffee, or having it go stale. I know you can get the Minis in a doserless configuration, but they really seem to jack up the price for those.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  10. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    You a dealer for baratza by chance? I've been looking at picking up one of the new baratza forte bg's. Wholesale from my roaster (intelli) is a joke on them unfortunately :(

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The Andreja is very nice, but the noise gets to be annoying after a while. Once you've lived with a rotary pump, it's hard to go back.

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    There are doserless mods for the SJs. Around ~100€ plus a bit of work.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Best espresso maker for $150? No grinder necessary az i prefer preground illy

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    target.com has a nice delongi one for 89$
    15 lbs
    pump

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I really like my Saeco super automatic...grinds, tamps, and brews with a push of a button..have had 3 super auto's and seems that Saeco makes the best

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    @brettc, model number?

18. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    Actually, just talking to Baratza about bringing them in for our retail customers. What are you looking for? I'll check on the pricing.

19. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    i use a nespresso machine ...

convenient since many coffee flavours & strengths available in capsules ...

20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I paid $499 but I have seen them cheaper on Overstock etc. Model is the Saeco Vienna Plus...

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    saeco vienna plus looks nice, but only does beans, not ground coffee too.

23. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    +1

I don't drink caffeine and my wife does. So the Nespresso capsules work well. There are a variety of machines at various pricepoints.

24. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    True but you should not grind until immediately before use...or so say the barrista's! You can go with a VSpresso Saeco model but $800 and does little more than allow ground coffee and imho doesn't make as good a cup...had one for 3+ yrs....

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i bought a breville 800esxl espresso machine. experts say the espresso should be heated to 195 degrees. but when i make a shot with a warmed up cup and handle, the espresso comes out at 155 degrees in the cup.
    are all machines like this?
    i bought a new machine cuz my old machine was acting just like the new one.
    any thoughts?
    thanks