Let's See Your Wine Cellars! | FerrariChat

Let's See Your Wine Cellars!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by jimpo1, Nov 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #1 jimpo1, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was reminded today that I have one. It's sadly used for much not more than a place to store what took me years to acquire. It might be time to dig in again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I volunteer to help!

3. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Let me know when you're in Dallas, we'll crack a great one! :)

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Me too.

5. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    YOU have to bring $50! :D

6. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Funny.

7. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yike's.....way too dusty...lush up will ya?? I find that most long term wines crash 5-10 minutes after opening...some great at first but long term aging is for collectors...not drinkers :)

8. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    DON'T DIS MY DUST!

We had a lady come help with housework once a few years ago, and she carefully removed every bottle, dusted them, and put them back. I nearly cried. I like the dust on my bottles.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #9 Smiles, Dec 6, 2013
  10. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Sorry! :)
    You dust is ok with me but drink up!

11. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    #11 adc, Dec 8, 2013
    Here is my wine closet. The pic is before trim was finished. Racks on right are double deep and single deep on left is waterfall. Should hold about 1100 bottle in racks with some room for OWC from where pic was taken.
    I could use some of the older bdx and don't mind the dust?

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Can I ask how you went about doing it?
    Did you convert a previous closet space, insulate it all around?
    Is that a CellarPro unit?

Looking around my house for ideas....

Thanks.

13. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Send me a PM with your email and I can send you some pics.
    The closet was framed out in part of my 2 car garage. Walls are 11 ft. There is a staircase that goes upstairs and it was a strange area that could not be used. I pulled the plaster off the walls and framed out an area. Used spray foam for insulation and moisture resistant drywall. No vapor barrier since I used closed cell foam. Unit is a cellar pro and I wouldn't recommend them since I have an issue with the control panel and they don't care. I have a Vinotheque Diablo that has not given me any problems and wish I went with WhisperKool for cooling unit. I bought racks from Costo which were custom built by Apex. A few small issues in assembly but they were cheaper by $1500 than anyone else. Used leftover engineered wood flooring over sealed concrete and installed a steel insulated door with dead bolt for a lock. Spent around 10K.

I can still fit F350 dually and a mid size sedan in garage. Tight but I don't drive the truck that much.

14. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #14 jimpo1, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    I have a NIB cooling unit that I've never used. If I recall correctly, its good for 900 cubic feet? I've likely had it 8 or 10 years, but its never been turned on. I'd be open to offers. Will try to dig up the details.

EDIT: it's a Koolspace 3100 by Vintagekeeper. $750 in April 2002. That's so sad. :(

15. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    We're in the process of a couple month long wine cellar construction project. I'll have to get some photos up. It's about 2-3 weeks from being finished. Plasterwork is drying now.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Can't wait!

17. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    More picts!

18. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    how do you know the right time to open a bottle before it turns to vinegar?

19. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Sorry I've been so slow here. Life gets going and next thing you know it's been half a year!

Late last year we planned out our cellar. The goal was around 1000 bottles with about 340 or so on horizontal racks exposing the labels. This reduces storage space but I think makes it look nicer.

The other 600 or so bottles are to sit in cases on the floor, in a 1mx1mx1m storage area near the door and both horizontally and vertically on the stone counter/ rack system we'd build in the back of the cellar.

The room started as an underground basement area that was far from special. The project requires that we turn one larger room into two smaller areas. One being part of the wine cellar the second being basemen storage. In the first photo we have begun demolition and are beginning to set the wall that would divide the cellar from the basement.

In order to access the space that would be the storage room, we needed to blow a hole in the wall through from another area of the basement.

20. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Most, if not all wines, have a known "time bracket" for being "opened" (the idea being not only to open the bootle, but to drink the wine...). It is usually not very advisable to drink them before, or after this time bracket. When a bottle reaches the end of the advised time bracket, the best thing to do is to drink it. It is never a good idea to try to see if a wine will still age well after the end of its time bracket, as only the very first top growth wines do have an ability to age for a long time.
    But even with the very first top growth, trying to let them age beyond their "recommended time bracket" can be a loosing bet...
    The "time bracket" is usually indicated on the label of the low to medium quality wines; for the high quality wines or top growth, everyone know it as it is mentioned in each and every publication.

Oh, and they do not turn to vinegar, usually; they loose character and equilibrium, they are simply "past their prime".

Rgds

22. The extractor

The extractor Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Deerfield BeachFlorida
    Full Name:
    Dr. Joe
    Since it seems like your not a drinker, want to sell anything from your collection?

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Was a long standing dream of mine to have a wine cellar. Years of collecting junk and not enough money have deemed that won't happen, but love the pics!!

24. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #24 rmitchell248, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    In these photos you can see we've gotten the complete structure built at the back of the cellar.

With having plumbing in the basement near the cellar, we had the debate of putting in s stone sink but we decided against it as we felt we'd most likely not drink much in here due to the temperatures.

In one of the storage areas we broke out the plaster to expose the wall stones.

Now we have the finish coat on the back of the cellar. This is Steinputz or stone plaster. It's a difficult plaster to lay that looks like stone. The entire back area looks like it's carved from one stone. Here the ceiling shape is also established with an arch in the middle. Finally all of the wiring for the LED lighting is also installed.

25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Very beautiful cellars.

Can somebody mention few, easy steps for a nice cellar? Not about whine, just the place, humidity etc..

Thank you.