Umami Burger lands in NYC | FerrariChat

Umami Burger lands in NYC

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Dec 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    This West Coast chain maximizes glutamates in its food.

We tried the two burgers with maximum umami impact: Original and Truffle Burger. I can't remember the last time I had something this well balanced and flavorful, cooked and assembled with so much care -- not unless I was in a place with at least three times the average bill of this burger joint.

The Smushed Potatoes were good, helped by an aioli that was enhanced with what I think was a mushroom extract (many mushroom varietals are packed with glutamates.)

The Thin Fries weren't anything great, though you do have the option of dressing them up with a combo of either truffle cheese and truffle salt, or beer cheddar, bacon and onion strings.

The house ketchup should be sold by the quart -- with a straw!

They plan on expanding like mad in this part of the country, so hurry to the current location before its dedicated staff is promoted and dispersed.

Umami Burger, Greenwich Village

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #2 GuyIncognito, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    next time get the manly burger and sweet potato fries. delicious.

I went to the one in Santa Monica fairly often when I lived there.

3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    The Manly is next on the list, along with the ground duck/five-spice/apple-pear chutney/crisp duck skin "burger". (I don't think sweet potato fries are on the Greenwich menu.)

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What is it - like Soylent Green?

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    LoL!

And I screwed up the duck burger description:

6. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    I tried this when they first opened and it wasn't that great. Insane lines with people waiting outside all day long when they opened. Onion rings were good but the burger wasn't impressive at all but perhaps it was cause they just opened. I don't see the table service thing working out long term for them in nyc. Having to wait for a table with waiter etc. for a burger is silly.

Best burgers in the city IMO is still zietzeff downtown in financial district.

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    It's the kind of menu that can easily go to pot if the staff isn't 101% with it. A little too much of this, not enough of that, and the umami balance/advantage is done. At that point you're looking at an expensive, odd tasting burger.

8. lcworld

lcworld Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2013
    Went to the one in Hollywood, CA. A friend took me there, it was good, but not amazing or anything.

9. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    I went to one in southern California and enjoyed it very much.

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I too am not a huge fan of umami burger.... But Shake Shack- that's a good burger. Hopefully they will bring one to the left coast