Traveling to DC... Recommendations? | FerrariChat

Traveling to DC... Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by willwork04, Jan 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    The wife and I will be traveling to DC in a few weeks for an engagement party. We will be on our own Friday and all day saturday before the evening festivities. Any recommendations for hotel (we are thinking the Fairmont at this point) and eateries/watering holes are welcome. Friday night we would like to do some fine dining, but open to the entire spectrum as we will need lunch and breakfast spots as well. Thanks in advance for the recommendations. We are looking forward to making some reservations.

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The best hotel in DC is the Hay-Adams. There is nothing that comes close. Get a room with a Rose Garden view.

Coincidentally, the best watering hole in DC is in the basement of the Hay-Adams. It's appropriately called Off the Record.

You can easily walk to anywhere on the Mall from there.

If a room is available at the Hay-Adams, book it.

Matt

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Second vote for the Hay Adams if you want to see the living history of the City. The Lafayette Restaurant in the hotel is quite good (and expensive). The Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th Street east of the White House is a landmark & has pretty good food (but clogged with tourists from time to time). For Indian, the Bombay Club on Connecticut west of the Hay Adams. Go out to Georgetown for lots of other choices as you might want.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    While there are many good suggestions, if you want a little out of the ordinary, there are many great dining options. Try Rasika (Penn Quarter). Or, Bar Pilar (lunch/brunch) or The Gibson (from scratch speakeasy) in the U Street Corridor.

Georgetown has a bit more historical charm than some of the up-and-coming neighborhoods, and many good dining options, also. Clyde's (lunch) is a long-time local eatery. Cafe Milano (to be seen) for dinner. Neyla has great mediterranean. The Tombs (under 1789 Restaurant) is a college bar and haunt.

You're not going to find much in the Federal triangle or the down by the monuments, but as you move North into the Penn Quarter and towards Chinatown/Verizon Center, there are almost too many new spots.

If you're willing to cross the river (which is a brave thing, given the confusing roads), Old Town Alexandria has much to offer in terms of historic charm (a la Georgetown), but quieter on King St than it is on M Street & Wisconsin. Restaurant Eve or Px are worth consideration.

But, what are your preferences?

I'd also confer with the concierge when I arrive (or, better, in advance). So, the hotel matters sort of. As far as hotels go, again, plenty in addition to the aforementioned. If you like the Boutique-y type, maybe The Jefferson (staid and formal but top notch). Or, any of the Kimpton group hotels have more hipness (Monaco, Rouge, Topaz, etc.). Even the George, depending on where you want/need to be for the wedding activities.

Enjoy,

CW

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As an afterthought, you might get a bigger response pool if you post this in (or have it moved to) the Mid Atlantic forum.

CW

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The ritz in g town = ripoff... place getting old & beat up and food terrible.... Ritz is / has gone down the hole.

if you want to be close in - W hotel nice - kina small but across from treasury / White house
    Willard is nice as well- kinda getting old but again close.

Milano in G town s great

trying to think of some of the belgian places we went to - was good - but not great.. Red Sage used to be my favorite after Jean louis closed down...

8. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Mayflower is a great hotel that often has great rates (at least compared to Hay Adams) and is in a fantastic location. It is a Marriott property if you care abt such things.

Gonna need more if you want food recommendations - what do you like and how much do you want to spend? We have had a bit of a restaurant explosion over the last 5 years so there is much to try and reccomend at almost every price point.

9. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Sounds like Brasserie Beck?

10. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Should have read closer - if you are looking at the fairmont, then there are two options w/in walking distance that are fantastic - Raskia West End (as previously mentioned) if you like Indian food, and Blue Duck Tavern for high end American - both are exceptional and sometimes fill up on Friday nights, so book early.

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    The Fairmont is awesome. I've stayed there a couple of times now. Just don't stay on the top floor. There is machinery up there which I heard on my last stay so they moved me down to the Fairmont gold floor. Same rooms, but decorated much nicer.

Georgetown is a short walk away from there, as well as plenty of great spots to eat. Most sights are a walk/short cab ride away.

A couple suggestions:

I was born in Baltimore so I am somewhat of a crabcake afficionado, the best I had in DC were at grillfish, a couple blocks from the Fairmont. Grillfish, Washington DC | Dupont Circle seafood restaurant, happy hour, brunch and private dining venue

Don't miss Georgetown Cupcakes. http://www.georgetowncupcake.com/ We went a couple times, the selection varies daily. A couple blocks behind the store is the house JFK lived in when we was a Senator.

I suggest getting a good guidebook. It will help you plan your trip. I like Frommer's. I have my copy from 2010 still. We used it in 2010 & 2013 and was still current last year. If you want it PM me and I will send it to you.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Or... Find someone who belongs to a private club that has reciprocity with the Metro Club.

Matt

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Or the Cosmos Club.

CW

14. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    I agree with the others who have suggested The Blue Duck Tavern. Always a good meal. Another place that I enjoy for late-night seafood is the Old Ebbit Grille. Half price on oysters and other raw seafood items after 1030pm.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes - that it! it was fun place food was good ( not great ) but I'd go back.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Not as convenient to the Mall, but I hear it's very nice.

Good suggestion, CW!

Matt

17. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Former member - nice joint but better off at the fairmont or mayflower.

18. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The Kimpton hotels are very good options in DC. They have 3 spots right near Dupont Circle which puts you in a great spot for nightlife and food. I like the Palomar the best of the lot. Though the Monaco is good too down towards Chinatown.

The Red Hen and Rose's Luxury are the two hot trending restaurants right now in DC. They are excellent. If you want something quieter and 5 star, Obelisk is right near Dupont Circle but make sure you get your reservations in. Blue Duck Tavern is a good choice as others suggested. Try the bone marrow appetizer and their signature duck fat fries. Jose Andres' Minibar takes reservation a month in advance but can probably get your molecular gastronomy fix at Rogue 24 without too much issue.

Nearby in Logan Circle are the Pig, Churchkey (a must visit for craft beer lovers), Le Diplomate, Estadio

If you're feeling adventurous, H street corridor has some really excellent food spot bargains like Toki Underground, Queen Vic, Atlas Room, Granville Moore.

19. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    there are 4 very good Belgian style brasserie in DC besides Brasserie Beck; Et Voila (Palisades), Granville Moore (H Street), Belga Cafe (Eastern Market) and St Arnold's (Dupont Circle)

20. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    EBG is more of a touristy sort of place. Hank's Oyster, Pearl Dive Oyster or BlackSalt are probably much better without that touristy crowd.

21. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I appreciate all of the insight! Keep it coming. There is still plenty of time before I need to begin developing a loose itinerary. Thanks!

22. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    The Palomar in Chicago is great--truly awesome food and the most hooked up concierge I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Based on our Chicago stay we were going to book the property in DC but the Fairmont is a better location to Georgetown by a few blocks. I call it a toss up. I like breakfast at Teaism in the Dupont Circle area so I walked by the Palomar a couple of mornings.

Teaism is a good recommendation I forgot to make. Kind of a granola place but great and unique breakfast. And tea, if you like it.

23. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    there are few good spots in Georgetown, most locals try and avoid that area due to tourists, frat-type bars and hellish traffic. You'll find most of the trending and hot food spots on U-street, Dupont Circle, H-street, Eastern Market, Logan Circle or Chinatown.

Mike Isabella's (Top Chef fame) new restaurant Kapnos is near U-street

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Another vote for the Old Ebbitt Grill. Yes, it is touristy but it also is popular with locals. If you like fresh oysters, I think that it is one of the best places in the U.S. for those. They always have a good selection of local, northern Atlantic and Pacific coast oysters to choose from that changes with the seasons. The menu also has a variety of seafood and meat dishes so there should be something that appeals to most appetites.

Nice atmosphere, excellent food at a reasonable price. I've probably been there at least a few dozen times over the past 3 years and always try to get one meal there when I am in DC. If you are in the main bar to enjoy a cocktail while waiting for your table, ask the bartenders to tell you a little about the history of the place and the wild game heads, some of which were reportedly shot by Teddy Roosevelt.

Downstairs by the restrooms, there is a framed news article describing how the Clyde Group (owner of Clyde's and several other popular spots in the area) bought the OEG at an auction in the 1970's for a few thousands of dollars.

Another restaurant to try might be Bob Kinkead's newest restaurant, Ancora, which offers regional Italian food near the Kennedy Center. I haven't been there yet but I was a huge fan of his previous restaurant, Kinkead's, that was on Pennsylvania Avenue for 20 years. He has won numerous culinary awards and it looks as though the reviews for Ancora are good.

http://ancoradc.com/

25. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Ancora is inside the Watergate across the street from Kennedy Center. It's good. Bob's specialty has always been his seafood and he has some good offering there. There are still some 'makeover renovations' going on.. even after a year of opening... so not sure what that is about.