For the gas vs charcoal debate... | FerrariChat

For the gas vs charcoal debate...

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by David_S, Jan 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    This weekend, I decided to do some yummy burgers on the grill. Last year, I settled on a Char Broil Tru-Infrared propane grill.

I've been pretty pleased with that grill during normal weather, but... at sub-freezing temperatures - I had to take the propane tank into the house to warm up up enough to get ANY pressure (soaked in 100+ degree water for over an hour) - and afterwards, the grill would only register around 700 F (which is measured below the cooking surface) - so it took 20 minutes plus to fully cook 3 burgers.

Just saying that a good charcoal system could certainly reach and maintain sufficient heat much more quickly...

Miss having a dependable cooking surface that could be guaranteed to be 500 to 800 degrees...

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    nothing compares to Kingsford, the whole process is fun, from lighting them, to watching them glow in the dark when done (and marshmallows). The fire sears the outside of a hamburger perfectly and adds a great taste.

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    If you think processed Kingsford briquettes are good you should try natural lump charcoal. I buy the Fresh Market/Whole Foods brand. It's unprocessed, all hardwood and simply better than any briquette.

4. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I'd blame the BBQ before I'd blame the fuel. I never have a hard time getting my propane BBQ up to the right temp, this past week it was about 6 degrees and I did three rib eyes that were about 1 1/4 inches thick- two minutes of sear on each side and about five minutes of indirect heat to finish.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I made the switch to charcoal about 7 years ago and there's no going back. I have to say after going through three or four grills in that time trying to find a versatile one with good temperature control to just buy either a big green egg style grill or the traditional Webber kettle grill. They have the best temperature control and let you do anything from smoking at low temp to searing steak or cooking pizzas at high temps. I bought the char griller akorn and in 6 months have only used two bags of lump charcoal, and I cook on it once or twice a week minimum. It's so air tight that you just close the dampers and reuse the charcoal for the next meal. The barrel style grills I had before would use about 5x as much coal.

Also, a $15 charcoal chimney and you never have to mess with lighter fluid again, plus it gets the coal ready in less than half the time.

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Naaa, I think it was safe to blame the fuel: my little propane pressure gauge wouldn't even come out of the red (empty) range until I bathed the tank in hot water for a while - even though I could feel by weight & sloshing that it was at least 1/3 full.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    They are for completely different things. Briquettes generate a lower heat and sustain it for a much longer time. They are great for grill roasting, slow cooking, etc.

Hardwood charcoal produces MUCH higher heats but doesn't last as long. It is great for hot and fast like searing steaks, fish, etc.

I have both and use both. I also have a gas grill for rainy days or late evenings after work when I want to grill but don't want to wait on the charcoal.

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I can cook all day long, maybe 24 hours+ off one load of lump in my BGE. In other words I can get it down to around 195 and maintain that temp for hours.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Great grill. I have an infrared CharBroil, jetted for natural gas and hooked up to my household supply. No fussing around with propane.

Matt

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree. Love my little Weber grill. Quick and easy to light using a chimney and some paper. Easy to control the heat using the top and bottom vents.

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Same here, the lump only burns hot if you have no air control.

12. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Wasn't aware of any debate...all my gasser is good for is storage. I haven't used it in years.

Lump and a weed burner, I can be cooking before the grill on the gas grill gets hot enough (which it never does)

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You know I keep forgetting about my weed burner. I may have to try that next time instead of the chimney. You just pile it in the bottom and torch away?

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    No debate, charcoal, the rest/gas is just conveniance.

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Yep, fire it up, go inside get meat ready to grill, spread coals and grill. Sometimes I have to let it mellow a bit first. Nice thing is that I think the chimney gets the coals too hot, with the weed burner you have more control.

16. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Briquettes are convenient. But you really don't want to know what they're made of.

17. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I wish I had a choice...I live in a mid-rise apartment building in downtown Denver and unless you've got a gas line running to your balcony you can't use anything larger than those little camping cannisters. :(

I still make do and grill about once a week. :)