Lets talk chicken | FerrariChat

Lets talk chicken

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by texasmr2, Feb 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    This subject has probably already been discussed previously yet my search was not productive.

So I have a split Fryer thawed yet I cannot think of how I can cook it different. My first option is to whip up a mixture of butter and basic herbs plus some freshly minced garlic and rub it under the skin and use the same mixture on the outside to help brown and crisp up the skin. I have also had the thought of placing a slice of Lemon under the skin, thoughts?

My second option is also baked but using a Jerk marinate (it is really a concentrate and highly flammable to the taste buds thus would need diluting), thoughts?

My third option is to put the chicken in the crock pot and cover with a water diluted bbq sauce and cook it low and slow, thoughts?

I am trying to think outside of the box ie comfort zone.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I almost forgot that I asked a female friend about this yesterday and she mentioned you cannot go wrong smothering it in Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup, thoughts?

2. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #2 texasmr2, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Well I took a risk but I also took the route of knowing where the road end's. I did the whole spiced butter thing, minced garlic along with governed doses of parsley, S&P, poultry seasoning. I separated the skin from the meat, without breaking the skin, and gave that chicken the massage of its short life and rubbed the outside with the butter mix.

Baking at 350 for 2hrs and then I will check I and then lower the temp slightly for another 2-3hr's. I might even rub the outside with a little V/O so the skin does not dry out to much until I am ready for that crispy texture.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Think this belongs in the Food forum.;)

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #4 texasmr2, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    So I'm having a lazy Saturday afternoon watching cooking shows and finally remember............I forgot to brine the damn chicken!!! I have never brined before but want to try it. One thing I find a tad confusing is the time as some suggest anywhere from just 30mins up to 48-72hrs.

6. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    I would marinate for 3 hours, but brining is usually 24 hours+

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Rub with herbs and garlic with light oil or butter and roast in oven until done.

Remove from pan and fry face down in a skillet to crisp skin.

Serve over home made mashed potatoes and asparagus.

You can de-bone the chicken (except for the drum stick) prior to roasting.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Chicken, did you say chicken?

[ame=www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3QAiVDL-A]Super Chicken Intro - YouTube[/ame]

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Done.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If you brine your chicken - I recommend 12-24 hours max. any more and you are really doing more damage to the tissue with the saline...it will only absorb so much liquid based on its density and weight ( Mass).

when you take the chicken out -dry it off as best you can and let it sit covered until it gets to room temp - then put it in the oven. i like it simple olive oil and salt & pepper ... roast on 375 25min per pound.( give or take) ...

when you brine something let it rest to re absorb the jucies...otherwise they will run out and you will have dry food.

11. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    3 words
    Big
    Green
    Egg

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    My fave chicken is beer can over real charcoal. I have used different rubs and spices but generally rub it with some olive oil and then whatever spices I grab and feel like using. Two of the best were a garam masala blend I had gotten from somewhere and a mole' mix. Both were really tasty.

13. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #13 joker57676, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Damn, Mark - those are a couple of tasty looking chickens sitting in one ugly lookin' grill! :)

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It has been a while since the last update so....I am brining some thighs overnight in preparation for tomorrow but sadly they are boneless (bones add ALOT of flavor and keep the meat from drying out during the cooking process). This time I added some thyme and some poultry seasoning in addition to the salt but I was very cautious not to over season the brine liquid. With the beautiful weather we are having I figured I would grill them while washing/waxing/detailing the car tomorrow.

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I just did another beer-butt chicken tonight. Oaxacan mole spice rub, salt and pepper. It was very tasty!! :)

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have yet to try beer-butt bird and I have only heard/read great things about this technique.

The chicken has now brined for almost 24hr's so I will soon be getting the pit prepped and will also be grilling a link of Holmes Smokehouse sausage. Holmes started as a butcher shop of sorts and then started selling BBQ in the 1970's. I ate at the original location in the early 1980's before the location burnt down so their sausage brings back fond memories for me.

Pictures to follow.

18. sippy2

sippy2 Rookie

Apr 18, 2014
    Shawnee Ks
    Full Name:
    Barry B
    For whole chickens...I have been spatchcocking (basicly cutting the backbone out then fav rub and lay flat on the grill) look up on you tube .... comes out very moist and tasty.

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That way works particularly well on a BGE.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have seen that technique used but have yet to try it but it is on the list.

Thanks for the reminder.

PS, The YouTube video....
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppa1bxB89vg[/ame]

21. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I learned a trick and tried it today.

For drumsticks, pat them super dry with paper towels, let them sit, get them really dry.
    Then rub in olive oil, coat in your favourite breadcrumbs/salt/pepper/whatever.
    Bake at 400 for 20 flip for another 20
    They come out crispy almost like deep fried. Much better then just slopping them on the pan and baking.

22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Very nice Jason!! I also prefer 'oven frying' but I will not turn down true fried chicken.

24. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason