Okra - The Forgotten... | FerrariChat

Okra - The Forgotten...

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by TexasF355F1, Feb 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I can't be the only one that loves okra, but I never think of including with meals ever.

Does anyone have some okra recipes they'd like to share? I have a good eats episode recorded with a few ideas.

2. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    My old standby is to cut off the ends, chop them into bite size pieces, toss the pieces in cornmeal and then fry in bacon grease with some salt tossed in. Gets rid of the slime, and is one of the basic food groups for young Okies...add rough mashed potatoes and grilled round steak and you have the meal of my youth. The best part was the overfried cornmeal bits left in the pan, though. Eating the okra was just the easiest way to make those tidbits.

You can also leave them whole, and cook them like deep fried chicken. Run them through an egg wash, and then toss in cornmeal & flour. Use your clean hand to toss into a deep fryer & fish them out when golden brown.

I've been forced to eat boiled okra with tomatoes, but not since I got big enough to fight back.

My wife wasn't convinced they were edible until I showed her how to cook them. She will still decline to participate on most occasions.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    My Brother does the same, but rinses the hell out of the slime first. Fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I believe we were raised in the same house... I was raised on a farm between Drumright and Cushing, Oklahoma...

Are you my long, lost brother????

Mike

5. PowerbyFord

PowerbyFord Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Okra?

Sick puppies . . . .

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Okra is neck and neck with Brussel Sprouts for my favorite veggie.

Could eat either like candy.

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    My grandparents had a huge farm in Virginia. I used to go there to play farmer every summer. Although I don't mind the taste or slime, I don't eat okra because it gave me a rash when I would pick it. It was a really bad rash too, akin to poison ivy. I figure if it does that to my skin I don't need it in my body.

8. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    My Mom escaped the reservation and lived in Oaks until age 11. She stole money out of her Mom's purse, ran away, got a fake ID and found work in Los Angeles (we found her fake ID in her belongings after she passed away- it made me proud that she was that resourceful). She brought the cooking, customs (and sadly, the habit of making me homemade clothes) and lifestyle with her. We also went back every summer for interminable vacations in the middle of nowhere...

I look like the Comedian Ron White if he cut 20 pounds & was just a little less crazy. I do have his sense of humor, and enjoy my Scotch. If that sounds like you, we are probably cousins hahaha.

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Weird.

I could devour brussel sprouts almost any way you could possibly serve them up.

Okra? I've had it in any number of forms, but it doesn't really do anything for me. Can't say it offends, but I sure wouldn't seek it out.

10. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    cut up some okra , kale, onions and some tomatoes, saute in olive oil and garlic . Great side.

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Okra should be fried in flour, not cornmeal.

My $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it.

If you eat it boiled, its gross as hell.