Butter.....Salted or Unsalted | FerrariChat

Butter.....Salted or Unsalted

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by powerpig, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Not wanting to hijack the Brussels Sprouts thread, I decided to post this observation here.

There was a recipe post in that thread that called for unsalted butter but also called for salt.

This debate has raged on with top chefs taking both sides. Some of the best say to use salted butter in savory dishes, but not when baking. I use salted when I cook and just cut back on any added salt.

What do you guys and gals think?

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I wrote the recipe on sprouts... I stated un salted butter for this reason:

when you add salt during cooking and then reduce a sauce you are concentrating the flavor and also the sodium content. so to not over salt - that is why i recccomened the un salted butter.

try it with and with out especailly in a butter sauce ... you will be amazed at the difference.

if you are a professional you should be taking the salt in the butter into consideration when cooking... using un salted gives you a bit of room...

3. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was a pro in another life and have been to culinary school. I still compete as a pro. Your point is appreciated and well taken, but I must say I've never oversalted a sauce by using salted butter.

That said, I do use unsalted when making compound better.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    For me it's simple:

Salted butter is for spreading (on breads, etc.). After all, who wants to butter their bread and then have to salt it too?

I cook with unsalted butter in order to have more control over the seasoning of my dish. I can and have cooked with salted butter, and with excellent results, but I would prefer to use unsalted.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Mmmmm Butter.... (in a Homer Simpson voice) :D

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I'm not a pro, so I prefer salted, though Wayne's logic makes sense.

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    My wife always buys salted, but I prefer to use unsalted butter & season myself.

A couple reasons?

Firstly, if you don't always buy the same brand of butter (or even if you do!), the level of saltiness can vary a bit from batch to batch.

Secondly, the type of salt I use may (will) differ based on the dish I'm preparing, and I want the greatest level of control.

7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Only sweet butter in my house, salt can be added.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I hear you - not going to affect a lot - but when you reduce a sauce to nappe and then add salted butter... you can end up with a very salty finsh...

what do you compete in?

I used to do ACF salon's but have not done so for a while... but love to cook mostly for entertainment value today...

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Salted butter all the way! I cut back the added salt in baking by about 1/4 teaspoon per stick of salted butter used.

:)
    BT