Barcelona: what and where to eat? | FerrariChat

Barcelona: what and where to eat?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Nurburgringer, Jul 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    It'll be a much-too-brief stay, but I'll be in Barcelona this Friday-Sunday night and hoping for food&drink suggestions on what to seek out while there.

Will be my first time in Spain, and without a car and with so little time it'll be tough to escape tourists but I'm confident y'all have some great pointers to share.

I won't be packing fancy duds so definitely casual/dive joints only.

Just booked my flight from DUS and still checking out hotels. Found one close to the Plaça Catalunya that looks cool.

Gràcies!

2. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Kurt:
    Post this in the F1 section; a lot of people have traveled there.
    Kevin

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Hard Rock Cafe if you want something safe and known.
    Patagonia Beef and Wine is very good steak (but not Spanish).
    The Attic was not bad.

Lots of holes in the wall, lots of side street cafes, easy to walk to lots of choices.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Can't recommend where, but can suggest what - if you've never tried them, I recommend boquerones - white anchovies in vinegar. Garlicky goodness, sort of like elvers, if you've ever tried those, but with a nice acidity. Had them @ tapas place in Dallas. Waiter said they were popular in Spain. Great with crusty bread & wine/beer. Even if you don't like oily fish, I think you'll like boquerones...T

5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Good tip, thanks!

LOL thanks but not interested so much in "safe and known"
    The Attic's menu looks solid: http://www.attic-restaurant.com/uploads/Carta/23/d78bbed18934ff9508c57630b222c6be136637263939.pdf

Si! I love white anchovies. A Serbian joint in Houston (Cafe Pita+) does them really well, simply grilled with lemon and oil. Will search these out in Barcelona for sure.
    Also plan on stuffing myself with Jamon Iberico of course, any other local/rustic seafood types/dishes on the "must try" list?
    thanks!

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cafe Pita? That's definitely going on my Yelp bookmark list, Kurt. Always looking for tasty ways of maximizing my intake of oily fish…T

7. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Last year we went to Els Quatre Gats, restaurant used in the movie Vicky Christina Barcelona. Not too pricey, good food and service. A bit hard to find on foot, cabs will get you close.

MB

Restaurant els 4Gats | Restaurante Barcelona desde 1897

Els Quatre Gats. A Barcelona legend since 1897, Els Quatre Gats ("The Four Cats" Catalan slang for "just a few people") was a favorite of Picasso who hung his work here and also designed a menu. On a narrow cobblestone street in the Barri Gòtic, this fin de siècle cafe has been the setting for poetry readings, piano concerts and painting expositions. In fact, Picasso’s very first exposition was held there! It was a base for members of the modernista movement and figured in the city's intellectual and bohemian life.

8. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    that's what I'm talking about!

4Gats is only 1km from my hotel, will check it out unless something incredible gets my attention first.
    gracies!

Off to the airport in a few hours, liking how the weekend weather forecast looks: 82F hi, 72F lo, sunny.

9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

#9 norcal2, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    On the water, Carpe Diem is a decent place to eat turns into-night club, so you dont have to go anywhere after I ran into a few F-1 drivers there after the race in May...Yelp is your friend also to find some places Tapas, Absinthe bars, etc, there are also Pot clubs there also if you choose to smoke, cabs are not to expensive to get around, and be aware a lot of places are closed on Sundays
    CDLC Barcelona - Lounge Restaurant Music Beach Club

10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Best food in Barcelona in the Boqueiria.

La Gardunya
    Jerusalem, 18, 08001 Barcelona, Spain (El Raval).

11. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If you are traveling alone head to any neighborhood Tapas "Bar" thats packed and sit at the bar. Great varied food and I'm sure you'll pick up on an interesting conversation or two.

Beware of pickpockets.
    Spain is rife with them.

13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'll step up for everyone on F-Chat and wish you a safe and wonderful trip!

Will also say - give us a good update when you have the chance!

Buen Viaje!

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    We love food threads here! So post a review photos later...enjoy

15. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Meat
    Cheese
    And
    Zumex!

16. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #17 Nurburgringer, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Aqui!
    Flight was 5 hours delayed so got to the hotel at 4am... But can't stay mad at Spain even though Vueling airline seems less reliable than Ryanair.
    So got a later start this morning than planned but the Hotel gran rondo urban is quite nice btw and good location, got a clean biggish room with little balcony on the top 5th floor for 170euros 2 nights.

After an espresso just had brunch of heavenly 2 yr old Jamon Iberico and 2005 tinto reserve in the boqueria mercado, now cooling off in the shade before a boat ride in the med.
    Found la gardunya but they're doing major construction right next to the patio so may come back tomorrow when quieter.
    Boqueria is amazing.. Up there with the coolest markets I've been to in Thailand Japan San Fran Istanbul etc.
    Thanks the well wishes dave!
    And now for some probably sideways iPhone pics
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #18 Nurburgringer, Jul 26, 2014
  18. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #19 Nurburgringer, Jul 26, 2014
    After a very pleasant 1hr boat cruise, slice of sausage onion and arugula pizza, 2 beers, about 3 miles walking, a cool shower
    and extended siesta toured Gaui's stunning Casa Batllo and munched on some mostly delicious (bread was a bit stale) tapas (foie and apple, excellent Catalonian sausage tartar, boquero and tuna salad and cider cured chorizo) then a yummy scoop of coffee gelato.
    Now chilling (literally) in 4gats with a white wine to mix it up, and tasty little olives.
    Have to order Vicki Christina Barcelona to watch with the wife and folks next month.
    Will take a second siesta then head out for a late snack.
    This vacation stuff is hard work!
    Tomorrow plan on hitting park Guell early then more jamon before leaving this amazing city.
    Salut!

19. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #20 Nurburgringer, Jul 26, 2014
    Always a pleasant surprise when a "touristy" place doesn't try to screw you. Was expecting 4, 5 or even 6euros for my glass of wine at 4gats, bill came to 2.53. Bueno.
    New addition to tomorrow's itinerary: foot massage

20. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #21 Nurburgringer, Jul 27, 2014
    Back in Germany so time for a wrap-up:
    Went out last night around 11:30 but didn't feel like 5Euros+ per tapa at the only places that I could find, and really wasn't that hungry so just took a long stroll, bought a can of Estrella and a big bottle of water and people watched in a square until around 1.

Barcelona should really share the title of "city that never sleeps" with NYC... woke up at 6:30 today and there was decent activity on the sidewalks/streets.

Grabbed a coffee and some sugary breads from one of the few places open before 8 then took the 24 bus up to Parc Guell for amazing vistas and a tour of Gaudi's home. Then back for a quick shower, pack and check out 1 minute before 12:00. Walked to the Boqueria only to find it closed so lunched al fresco at a bar right at the boqueria's entrance that was a butcher shop from something like 1899 to 2009.
    Had really nice cod croquettes, tart and sweet boquerones, slightly spicy and savory Andalusian gazpacho and dense, crusty house made bread.

Was feeling quite full so went for a stroll on the packed Ramblas with no plan for the 2 hours before I had to depart for the airport.... then WHATS THIS!?! The Jamon Experience! Suddenly felt I could eat a bit more....
    5euros for a very well done multi-media, multi-room, 25 minute, blessedly air-conditioned and pork-aroma'd show explaining all about Iberico pigs and the Jamon making process. Then upstairs to the bar with a full menu of various cured-pork plates. Got a nice glass of tinto and fabulous mixed plate of Jamon Iberico de bellota (only pigs that reach 150kg during their first "fattening season" outdoors eating hazelnuts and grass get the "de bellota" label; if they need to go back to the pens to gain more weight on grains at least 1 time they're simply "iberico" and still pretty damned good BTW), lomo de bellota (cured pork loin), chorizo and "farmer's" sausage for 8Euros. Could only finish half the plate so had the other half wrapped and brought it back with me.

Iced coffee kept me awake until the plane took off (on time) then was on the ground at DUS when I woke up.

Muchos gracies for the suggestions all! Felt like I got quite a bit in on both the culinary and sightseeing side of BCN, with a pretty short stay.

Next time, with the wife along, maybe I'll have the courage to seek out percebes :)
    salut!

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The Jamon Experience? Would have bet dollars to donuts you made that up, if not for Google! Texas needs one of those. Thanks for the travel log, and safe travels...T

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Great thread!!

23. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Glad to see you had a good time! and hope the lines At Parc Guell were not to long..the pork there is great, its to bad it cant be had here in the US..and the city never does sleep!

24. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #25 Nurburgringer, Jul 29, 2014
    Salut!

lol thinking back it was like living a dream.
    But TX would have a "Beef Experience" with the finest jerky, brisket, smoked ribs, hanger steak, braised shanks, chili etc. I'd have a season pass there for sure :)
    cheers Tom!

thanks!
    I got to Guell park a little later than planned at 8:30 Sunday morn and JUST stayed ahead of the masses. After schlepping to the peak (I'd estimate 5% of the park's visitors made it all the way up there, shame because the view is unreal) and down I walked right into Gaui's home but when I left the line was at least 30 deep. Barcelona was fairly swarming with Asians in groups, and Russian couples/families on vacation. Talked to a couple Americans and two brits but most of the tourists were from the east. Good for me that most of the tourists were eating at Italian, Asian noodle, sidewalk restaurants on the most crowded streets etc leaving the smaller joints largely empty except for locals. Quite disappointing to see so many visitors chose to ignore the local cuisine, then again the local people and I appreciated them leaving those places for us!

Looking again at the photo I took of the projected pig at the J.E. makes me wish I had found jowls, snout and/or ears on a menu.... damn straight those Spaniards know how to treat swine right!!!!
    After seeing the pics of the jamon hanging at the shop in Boqueria my father asked if they can really cost 185Euros per kg. I told him sure but think of it this way: that's 18.5 Euros for 100g or about 3.5 oz of pure heaven.
    It only takes about 1/4oz of fine Jamon to roll your eyes back in your head, so what would you rather have a Big Mac or 3 or 4 bites of the finest Jamon, that you'll remember for the rest of your life?
    Cheap eats IMO.

Don't know how good they'll look squashed down for F-Chat but here is a panorama of the entire city from the top of Park Guell, a shot at full 20x zoom of Gaui's Sagrada Familia (may be finished in 2025 or so when I next visit with the wife) and a scale model in a sitting room of Gaui's home.