Scotch and Cigar blog | FerrariChat

Scotch and Cigar blog

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by dhari, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Hi all,

I started a blog about Scotch and Cigars just for the heck of it. It is pretty fun. Check it out and let me know what you think of it! I also made an Instagram account. I'm open to suggestions for posts.

cheers,
    Deepak

Scotch&Cigars | 5hift into a classy lifestyle
    Instagram

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Deepak...I don't smoke cigars & most of my experience w/ Scotch was when I was teething as a baby (yeah, I know, today it'd be child abuse to rub scotch on a teething babies gums!), but your blog looks interesting and very professionally put together.

Somewhat OT, but a Q for you - do you think Johnny Walker Blue is worth the price? My big bro has a round birthday coming up & I think some of the ultra-premiums would be lost on him as he is not a true connoisseur, so I'm looking for something with good taste, that my brother will enjoy and he'll recognize the name and think good thoughts about his little bro! :)

Best...T

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Tom, that's awesome. My parents did the same for me when I was teething.

Our parents rock.:D

Very cool blog D. Been interested in acquiring a taste for scotch so I'll have to read up. I see you gave Glen Levitt listed. I gave that as a gift once.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Deepak,

Love Oban but have refused to buy it since they raised the price of 14 year old from $40 to $80.

I really liked Macallan Cask strength when it first came out. The last Scotch I bought was a blend called Peat Monster; I liked it but my wife thought it tasted like medicine. Are you limiting yourself to Scotch or will you do all whiskeys? Personally, I've joined the high end Bourbon crowd.

I miss Cuban cigars. I haven't bothered with them since I stopped traveling overseas on business.

Good luck with the blog!

Art S.

5. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    I didn't there was anything else but Macallan and Padron :)

6. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Deepak, impressive blog... Although you make no mention of Macallan 18 scotch 😁. One of my favorite single malts... I learned to smoke cigars accompanied by Cuban espresso coffee in little Havana, Miami... To me, that is really the best way to enjoy a cigar, but like most things it's a question of taste. I'm an avid cigar smoker. I only smoke Cubans as they are my cigar of choice. My collection includes a variety of Cohibas, Partagas, Montecristo, San Cristobal, Hoyo de Monterey etc... I think you get the gist. This blog is great because I don't feel alone and others share the same great taste that I have , wink-wink.
    Btw, I once had a single malt aged scotch, 25 years or so that tasted of smoked bacon. Would you what the name of that scotch is?

Congrats and good luck with the blog. I'll be reading it regularly...

7. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Hi Tom!

I think the Blue Label will be the most recognizable bottle to get. As for price, it is a bit steep. It is a birthday however, so I say you get it and enjoy a few with him :)
    Cheers!

8. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Thanks for the kind words Jason! The Glen is one of my favs! Such a beautiful smokey taste(15yr old)
    cheers!

9. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Thank you for the kind words! I think I will have more than enough content with Scotches. For some reason I tend to get bad hangovers with Bourbon lol.

Cheers!
    ps. Honduras and Nicaragua are producing some good smokes, check em out!

10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Deepak,

The blog looks good but I think you can do just a tad better. It's a few small things visually that may improve it drastically but I am struggling to put my finger on it. Would it involve maybe a background colour, borders around text boxes, different shades outside vs. inside, some better pictures etc...

Judging on that it does look good and I like the content. It could use some small tweaks and messing around I think to bring it another level higher.

11. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Also, I would HIGHLY suggest taking a looking at multiple Fchat threads here to see what goes on as we have a very active set of threads including the bourbon/whisky/scotch + cigar thread.

Bob in the drink threads is an absolute master on his liquors.

12. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Hi Lino, thanks for the support!
    Agreed, coffee and cigars is a beautiful combo. There are so many flavours and aromas with that pairing. hmm, I've never heard of that bacon scotch. I will however search it up for you kind sir!

cheers!

13. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Don't forget Camacho ecuador coming in now! For that smoke be prepared for a really harsh first 1/2" - 1"

14. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Hi Tamas,
    I appreciate the tips! I agree, I think I need to make it a bit better visually. I will play around a bit and keep you all posted.
    cheers!

15. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    No rush just something I saw that is all.

BTW judging by your Cigar Watch list I should be writing some articles as well!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/143279641-post2913.html

We can play wheres Waldo and find all the ones you mentioned!

16. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks! I appreciate the comment & sentiment. On the topic of JW Blue, I received a bottle from a client recently, and found it to be a very drinkable, smooth blended whisky. It doesn't have the bite of many single malts (which those who don't drink Scotch a lot might like more than the purist...) but you can feel the quality of the whisky on the tongue & finish IMHO.

I only rarely have Scotch with cigars (my delicate and girly wife is a much hardier cigar aficionado than me), but find that a dram with more peat works well in those circumstances. The best one for my money would be Laphroaig 18; for a little less, an Ardbeg Uigeadail would be a great pairing.

Good luck with the blog, Deepak; even though you might inadvertently encourage even more people to buy it. Demand, and prices, for great Scotch have increased so much in the past two years you'd think they were giving away Ferrari logo merchandise with each bottle...lol.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ”Hi Tom!

I think the Blue Label will be the most recognizable bottle to get. As for price, it is a bit steep. It is a birthday however, so I say you get it and enjoy a few with him :)
    Cheers!”

I will! Thanks, Deepak...T

18. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Deepak...Lalique? Wow! You think the bottle is more of the price, or is the scotch that good?...T

20. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That is still a nice selection of 18-25 yr old scotches for that single bottle.

21. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    #21 Serie1926, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    #22 Serie1926, Oct 31, 2014
  23. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    wowza that's a lot of money!!

24. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Hello friends!
    I just made a new post on my blog. I need to format the posts but don't know where to start. I'm thinking that the size is an issue. Too big? Any feedback is welcome :)
    http://5cotchandcigar5.com/2014/11/07/what-is-scotch/

ps. Don't worry, I will not inform you guys every time there is a new post. I think that would be a bit annoying. This post is actually an important one due to the content.

pps. I bought a domain for the blog so it looks a bit more professional. http://5cotchandcigar5.com/

cheers,
    Deepak

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #25 TTR, Nov 16, 2014