Need a Wine Suggestion for Veal Chops | FerrariChat

Need a Wine Suggestion for Veal Chops

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by tomc, Mar 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dear All…Grilled up some veal chops last night, which got me wondering - what wine goes with veal? The wife finally decided on a merlot.

On the one hand, I could see red or white since veal is a red meat, but not really as intense as beef. So, is rose wine, the compromise choice? Any specific or general suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks….T

2. mvaldezf60

mvaldezf60 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Malbec would be the best choice IMO

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Can't go wrong with a good Pinot Noir. I recommend Alouette.

4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Tom. Unless you do a cream sauce that requires a wine with more acid, a grilled veal chop (olive oil and herbs) demands a Pinot in my opinion, but one with some earth. The bigger Oregon guys (Beaux Frerers, Archery Summit, Dom Drouhin,) go well. Avoid the lighter styles like A to Z ( a fine QPR ). If the budget will tolerate it a proper Burgundy will do the trick. In Oregon, the older vintages 2008 and 2010 are lovely if you can find them. Asimov had an article in his Wednesday Wine Talk column two weeks ago (Feb 18) on affordable burgundies. Column should be available on line

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I definitely need to get to the wine store ASAP, as I have none of those on hand.

Thanks, Keith. I was thinking of doing a veal marsala for my next veal endeavor, so I will keep that in mind. This last batch was grilled - olive oil, S&P, and a little garlic.

T

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Darth!

8. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    If you do want a white wine with a grilled Veal Chop, I gave it some thought and suggest a Meursault. It has a smoky component (from a proper vintner and vintage) and low acid...it has the complexity to stand up to the veal. I like reds with veal chops as the char from grilling goes well with a red's tannins. Darth's suggestion of an Italian red is a good one too...Brunellos are a bit lighter and less expensive than Barolos.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Keith. It's clear that the wife and I need a more diverse wine portfolio - we have abt half dozen bottle of Gigondas, an equal # of cab sauv's (mostly Napa), and a ton of bubbly. If the weather behaves this week, gonna have to make a trek to the wine stores and/or Costco….T

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    A good Meursault is a very good choice indeed.
    Also some of the great Meursaults make fantastic matchings with cheese, especially Comté; it was one of the association of choice between wine and cheese, until the end of the sixties when the habit of drinking red wine with cheese took momentum, which, for most of cheeses, is in fact unfortunate.

Rgds

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva - next to Caymus Cabernet, one of my favorites - goes well with veal.

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Higher acid, "lighter red. Nebbiolo would be my choice. Had some wonderful veal with Barolo and barbaresco in Piedmonte a few months back.

Anyways, I wouldn't go too oaky (most Cali cabs) or too blue/black of fruit (Syrah, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #13 tomc, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

Had a Chianti Classico last night. Forget label, but the taste was superb. Would have been great with veal. We had ours with homemade lasagna....T

Edit: wine was 2010 Borgo Scopeto

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Weel, if we are back to red suggestions with veal chops (and supposing my understanding of "veals chops" is the right one) then as said by Keith above, provided that your budget will stand it, a bourgogne will be a nice match indeed: Aloxe Corton, Vougeot Premier Cru, Nuit Saint Georges premier cru, or a good Chateauneuf du Pape.

Rgds

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ding ding we have a winner! Una Barolo

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Had a good Barolo last week, but with steak not veal. Need to head back to the store....T

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    one of my favorites is Veal saltimboca - I do it with fresh sage and prosciutto .. grille the chop to rare. let it sit, wrap the chop with fresh sage leaf, and cover with prosciutto - use 1-2 thin slices.

in a hot Saute pan - with peanut oil or safflower - high temp oil.

sear the ham covered chop = until its golden brown - and the ham will shrink around the chop.

take out - and rest on towel to absorb the grease.

add in - 8-9 whole sage leaves - and quicky fry to crispy - and drain on towel.

take off the heat - drain off the 1/2 the oil and then add back on the heat add in 2-3 sliced shallots and saute till transparent. add in chopped sage and salt & pepper and some ground coriander and a big knob of whole butter splash of white balsamic vinegar - just a splash... make into a sauce and serve on the chop with the crispy sage leaves....

like it on onion and pea risotto.... and serve with a barolo. Pio Cesare 2010 if you can find it.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yum! I'm salivating at four in the morning. :)
    I just cut up a loin strip for steaks for the grill tonight, but I'm gonna try and find some veal chops and prosciutto fur next week. Have sage growing in the backyard. White balsamic? Hmm. Never heard of that. Thanks, Tom!
    T

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    you dont really need the balsamic, just omit it if you cant find any- use splash of vermouth or nothing... but it gives a slight tang to the butter sauce - just a splash!

when you fry the sage leaves make sure they are DRY... or you will get splattered! use the biggest ones you can find - they cook and crisp really fast. - you can eat them like candy... so do a lot.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Finally! Had the time, ingredients and inclination to try this awesome recipe. Highly recommended. The salty, crispy prosciutto & the mild, unctuous veal with the earthy taste of sage. The shallot and balsamic (used regular, did not have white) sauce was sort of sweet, which balanced out the other items. I served it with white truffle risotto after a beet salad starter. No Italian reds in the wine cellar, but a nice Robert Hunter cab did the trick. I'm sure I didn't do this recipe to anywhere near its full potential, but man was it good. Thank you, Mr. Spirot!
    T
    [​IMG]

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Awsome! looks good. sage and white truffle truffle risotto - nice!

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thank you, you're too kind. One quick question, if I may. When you said coriander in your recipe - did you mean the leaf (aka cilantro) or coriander seed?
    I assumed that latter...T

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    coriander seed - i put it in a large pepper grinder - and grind as needed. I actually mix pink peppercorns 1/3 with the rest coriander seeds.

you can also smash with the flat of a large knife as well...

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you. I resorted to the pre-ground seeds I had laying around the pantry. I like the pink peppercorn idea!
    T

25. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Try a sangiovese or a brunello di montalcino. The last few I've had drank a little lighter for what they are.