Privately Shipping Liquor | FerrariChat

Privately Shipping Liquor

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by EnzymaticRacer, May 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Hi All,

I recently visited a colleague who hosted me for a week and I would like to send a thank you in the form of a bourbon that I couldn't find anywhere while I was there.

Has anyone shipped alcohol before? Is it doable? Anything I need to be aware of before packing it up and sending it along?

Thanks for any help
    Robert

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I just order from an online liquor retailer and have it shipped direct.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Jack has the easy way.

If you do it yourself different states have different regs.....but if it is say an auto part and not a bottle of booze who's to know?

I have shipped wine from wineries and they do whatever to make sure local regs at destination are followed. Some states it is hard to do legally and they just won't ship to.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    For my brother's birthday, the easiest route was to give someone I knew who was heading his way, a few bucks to carry and deliver.....T

5. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    #5 EnzymaticRacer, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Which one would you happen to use? I'm always unsure whether or not what I'm buying is the real deal or not. I've found a few places, but they either don't have it in stock or they don't ship out of state.

I'm looking to send Willett Pot Still Reserve because we established that he has not yet had it before.

Do you know of any good places to check the local regs? Thanks!

Unfortunately that isn't an option. My colleague is half-way across the country so there is rarely anyone I know heading that direction.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Robert,

If you're looking for a craft or limited production liquor it may be a little more difficult to find on line. I did, though, just find and purchase a bottle of Old Weller Antique 107 from France 44 Wines and Spirits in Minneapolis . It took a few minutes of searching as most sellers were out of stock. It arrived safely yesterday, to be test driven tomorrow!

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Fed Ex or UPS should be able to help but unless you have a specific bottle you want to send doing the whole thing on line is an easier approach.

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #8 SonomaRik, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    I've used this site for years on items I can no longer get in the US [like Gammel Dansk]: www.thewhiskyexchange.com

never had a problem. However, EXPENSIVE.

9. ECHO CHARLIE

ECHO CHARLIE Karting

Jul 8, 2009
    I have used Wine Chateau with good results .

Edward

10. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone... So far the only place that I've found that has it was the exchange (thanks Rik) , but it was going to be over $100 all in... Absolutely crazy.

I managed to find a place that had a bottle in Stock here in town so I'm just going to have to ship it from here.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Just know that it's probably illegal to do so. Not that I follow every law to a "T" for sure. Just be aware. Pack it yourself and you may need to fib a little if they ask you what it in the package.

12. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Which state are you looking to ship to?

13. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    That's the plan at this point.
    Louisiana.

14. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    As the owner/operator of a UPS & FedEx shipping center?

Simply double bag the bottle such that if it SOMEHOW breaks, nothing will leak out of the box. Surround the bottle with enough bubble wrap, peanuts, foam, whatever (3 inches on every side), and seal it within a durable cardboard box.

Hand it off to anyone at UPS/FedEx or privately owned shipping center & simply state (if asked) that there are no hazardous materials in the package.

15. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks David. Did just that this morning.

16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Ummm, no you didn't! ;)

Hope the recipient enjoys it!

17. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    It was the empty glass bottle that I shipped! Hopefully I don't get canned for shipping *trace* amounts of ethanol!

:D