Need advice on wine gift for a wine nerd | FerrariChat

Need advice on wine gift for a wine nerd

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by ND Flack, Jul 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Need to get two bottles of wine for two different people I work for and am leaving soon - was a great gig that I hope to come back to in a year or two after gaining more experience in a new job, and so I thought I would try to find a couple of nice bottles that would be at their peak about the time I am looking to come back - it's a little scthick-y, but whatever. Such a thing may not exist - I'm just not sure.

They are both wine nerds (and I am not). One of them bought a bottle of white burgundy at a dinner that made me look at white wines in a whole different light, but aside from that I have no idea where to go, aside from walking into a wine shop and asking - not a bad idea, but the brain trust always has good thoughts so I figured I would ask. Great or unusual selections more important than the 1-2 year thing - I'm in Washington, DC, so should be able to lay my hands on most things in my price range (I assume).

Looking to spend no more than $150 each. Thanks in advance!

2. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Caymus Special Selection Cabernet is always stellar & top rated. But may be above you price target, is a very serious wine & spectacular.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Being French, the fact that one of them brought a bottle of white burgundy would usually indicates some connoisseur, and makes a choice more difficult, as Burgundy is divided in many very small parcels, rending knowledge of the wines very difficult.

I suppose Washington would be fairly well stocked, so why not try a white burgundy and a red?

For a white, I would look for a Meursault for instance, such as:
    - Olivier Leflaive Meursault 1er Cru « Perrières » 2006
    - Louis Latour Meursault 1er Cru « Goutte d’Or » 2009
    - Louis Latour Meursault 1er Cru « Charmes » 2010
    - Bouchard Père et Fils Meursault 1er Cru « Les Gouttes d’Or » Domaine 2008

Or - Louis Latour Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru “les Folatières” 1999

All these bottles are between 60 and 80 dollars here, so probably about 100 ( ??) in the US.

Burgundy also produces extraordinary reds, but do not expect these to be cheap; staying in the price range you gave, we have for instance:
    - Bouchard Père et Fils: Pommard 1er Cru “Rugiens” Domaine 2003 (about 90 $ here)
    - Domaine de Courcel : Pommard 1er Cru « Les Croix Noires » 2007 (same)
    - Louis Latour Clos Vougeot Grand Cru 2000 (about 150 $ here)
    - Louis Latour Charmes Chambertin Grand Cru 2006 (same)
    - Bouchard Père et Fils Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2009 (same)

Rgds

4. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Thank you for taking the time to write that out -- I will see what the wine shops have to offer!

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I'd also reach out to user Steelton Keith; between he & nerofer you have F- chat's finest minds when it comes to wine. I learn a lot from their posts...T

6. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Great info, thank you!

7. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Also, he comes by it honestly - he married a French woman! :)

8. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hey! So did I (wife's Mom name Solange Bergeron and family also has Darracq and Menier surnames).
    I would follow Nerofer's advice...they have shown an affinity for white Burgundy so I would go in that direction. There are a couple of great wine shops in D.C. and pricing is competitive. The only issue to ask your wine purveyor about is "pre-mox"...white burgundies have been subject to premature oxidation. It is difficult to keep up with all of the red and white burgundy producers and that region has a fair amount of vintage variation. I like the 05 and 09 but do not get too wrapped up in vintage chasing. Great winemakers can make extraordinary wines in any year. Bad winemakers can turn a spectacular vintage into plonk. One way to take some of the guesswork out of French Wine buying is to take a good look at the importer (back label). The following firms have outstanding reputations...let them take the selection guesswork out of it for you: Neil Solomon; N. Rosenthal; Kermit Lynch; Robert Kacher; Becky Wasserman. There are others. The Chassagne and Puligny Montrachets are favorites of mine as are the Pommard. Wine lovers do like to receive bottles with a little age so it is always nice to find something that-if properly strored- gives your friends the pleasure of having a mature wine ready to consume. The only other thing I would say is do not rule out a great bottle of vintage Champagne.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

ND Flack... You have now drank (drunk?!?) from the F-chat font of wine knowledge. Let us know how it turns out...T

10. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Great advice - thank you for your time!

11. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Certainly will!

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Great. Oh, and btw, best of luck in the new job...T

13. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Thank you!

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #14 nerofer, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Absolutely true, so much in fact that there is even a saying in french for this, worth remembering as it is a serious advice:
    "il vaut mieux un grand vin dans une petite année qu'un petit vin dans une grande année"
    ("a great wine in a small vintage is always to be prefered to a small wine in a great vintage")

Rgds

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Oui, Cest vrais!

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My reccomendation:

Louis Jadot Corton Charlemagne - about $145 - $160 depending.
    Domaine de Rodeon Givry Chambertin

17. Skull 1

Skull 1 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Oregon Coast
    Full Name:
    Jerg
    I would recommend Adobe wines. It's local wine from Napa Ca. Winery is own by Kevin Buckler of The Racers Group. I have it in my cellar.

18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Outstanding recommendation - even their "table" wine is fantastic.

Viticcio Chianti Classico Riserva is another excellent choice if they like red. Cheap too.

19. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    #19 ND Flack, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks to all for your assistance! I came into a bit of a time crunch and wasn't able to shop around -- thankfully, there was a well-reputed shop not too far away that I was able to stop into. Ended up with the below, as none of the suggestions were on hand at this particular store -- I hope that they meet your approval!

Thanks again to all for taking the time!

edit - sorry that the photos are sideways - not sure what to do about that one...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'd take them. Grand Cru Chablis is a very often overlooked wine, but a very good one! and a considerable bargin.

Beycheville - good 2nd growth... they should be happy with both. The Chablis will bring out the wine nerd - snob in them.... if not, they aint into wine as much as they say!

21. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    $125 for the white, $90 for the red.

Gave the white to the guy in person today - his relatives from Lyon are in town tomorrow by happenstance, so he was pleased.

Thanks again to all.