1949 Knappogue Castle unblended pot still pure malt Whiskey | FerrariChat

1949 Knappogue Castle unblended pot still pure malt Whiskey

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by intrepidcva11, Aug 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    When one moves to a new home one always uncovers 'stuff' one had long forgotten. In this case it is a bottle of Knappogue Castle unblended pot still pure malt Irish Whiskey. According to the label's hand-written date it was put down in 1949 and in the cask until bottling in 1981. This is bottle No 143 of cask No. 6. I bought it at the Castle in 1983. It has a screw-type cap that is unopened and has had some evaporation so that the whiskey level is about an inch below the neck of the bottle. Any notions of present value of a whiskey that began its journey two-thirds of a century ago?

2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A photo would help, but if it's the one I'm thinking it's about $650.

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    No idea but I'll give ya $20 for a couple shots. :) I've never been a huge scotch fan so this one really intrigues me.

4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    dubbya, for ten bucks a shot you got rotgut, and it don't come from Ireland but from chicagoland :)

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Gee thanks. ;) So do you plan on selling this? Saving it? Or my suggestion open it up and twll us all about it. :)

7. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    #7 ersatzS2, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I toured the Whiskey museum in Edinburgh last Sept, mostly a 4000+ bottle collection from a south american estate. It was interesting to see how much 'Angel's share' loss there was. Some bottles were 75% depleted, and one was completely empty except for an amber crust in the bottom. The loss in caskets is much worse, another reason old scotch is hard to find; in some circumstances they've got to go ahead and bottle it because with another year of evaporation it won't meet the legal test of whiskey any longer due to alcohol content...

Nice find, I'd research it and sell it to a collector unless it was remarkable in it's day. Whiskey doesn't improve once it is bottled...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login