Using concierge services to book dining | FerrariChat

Using concierge services to book dining

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Super_Dave, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 Super_Dave, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    How do the services get perks? Free drinks, better tables, etc?

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Three words...volume, volume, volume.

3. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So going through the card concierge, there is some payoff or benefit to the restaurant?

I was curious because I never understood when I booked through concierge, how they got me free things (I've had champagne on the house, free courses, a free cake for a celebration dinner...) This was through the Palladium card concierge service. I don't pay any annual fee for the card (I've had good luck getting it waived so far) so not sure how they swing those freebies.

I don't use it too often because I don't eat out too often, but I don't quite "get" how they do it economically (and whether the restaurants are footing the bill or the card?)

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't honestly know but I'm guessing the restaurants are willing to "give" the extras in order for the service to send them more business. Would be in their best interest to do so. The card company provides the service because they already have you for a customer and, I'm assuming make money by you using the card. They arrange it with the businesses to make their card more attractive to you. Curios though, do you only get the benefit if you use their card to pay? I can't imagine they could enforce that but it would be one more way to make sure they are making money from you. Maybe if so they might give the restaurant a break on the percentage for concierge customers?

I'm sure it's a lot like the concierge service at a hotel. The Concierge sends people to the businesses that take care of his "customers" best (and in this case quite probably the ones who are willing to give kickbacks of some sort also).

But I'm guessing on all of this.

Edit: OH, and just because you don't pay an annual fee doesn't mean they aren't making money off you. I'm assuming you don't get a Palladium card by only charging $500 year. So you are probably doing business with them at a certain level and even if you don't pay an annual fee, and even if you pay the balance every month so you don't pay interest, they are still making money by virtue of the percentages they charge each business that accepts your card.

5. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very true -- realize they make money off the accounts themselves.

I guess that may answer the question, but still hard to see the mechanics of it... but it would then sound like the card company "facilitates" these deals through paying the restaurant?

In terms of channeling business, the majority of the time I'm selecting the place and asking them to set a reservation, get a good table, etc. I will specify if there is a special occasion as well, but obviously don't abuse that.

As for your question about paying with that card... excellent question, since I've never tried to do a "bait and switch" with cards. I always end up paying for those meals with that card. I don't know if I will ever reserve through one service and use a different card to pay, since I imagine that might get flagged. I agree they can't directly penalize or force me to use one card over another, but I guess they could put a flag on the account and perhaps impact my service more subtly?