Cigar humidor humidity | FerrariChat

Cigar humidor humidity

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Whisky, Nov 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I have a small humidor, how do I get it to 75% humidity?
    I have done everything I am supposed to do, but I cannot
    get it to stay above 58%.

It's not expensive, but I am not really a cigar person, I just
    bought it because I have some actual Cuban cigars I brought
    back with me from a recent vacation.

Amazon.com - Quality Importers Desktop Humidor, Capri-Glasstop - Decorative Boxes

I have the gel humidity tubes in it, a shot glass of water, it's in
    a cool 'dark' area, but I cannot get it to go above 58%.
    I can put in a wet paper towel and it will go to 65%, but won't
    stay there once I remove it.

Ideas?

2. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is it at least half full?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 msdesignltd, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    It may well be that the cedar is too dry..in steps take a terri towel and moisturize the wood with distilled water..in extreme cases you can leave a clean new kitchen sponge in a soup bowl of distilled water and leave it inside for 3 days until the wood saturates...
    If it is a cheap humidor at $24.00...discard it and use a tupper wear container..

4. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I will try that.

The humidor itself 'seems' fine, it seals very well when closed...
    I've been dealing with this for 2 weeks now, I will give the
    sponge a try for a few days.

5. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    And you might need to wipe the whole inside, including the sealing surfaces with the distilled water. I need to do that if mine gets a little dried out.

George

6. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    75% RH is high in my opinion. You risk getting mold on your cigars. I would aim between 66 and 70 % RH tops. You can get gel pucks that you fill with glycerin solution and will maintain 70% RH. Any reputable cigar shop sells them. Also, it helps to keep the humidor as full as possible. Another trick is to place your humidor in a sealed plastic container. That will help keep moisture in, but leave out any wet sponges etc...

7. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I don't get the 'distilled water' thing, why distilled?

Also, I have the gel 'tubes' and the gel puck that came with it,
    the instructions just say to keep them wet/not dry out.

I put the sponge in yesterday as suggested above, today it's near 80%, I will
    leave it in for another day or two, remove it, and see where
    it stabilizes. Right now my cigars are in a ziploc with a gel
    tube until I get this thing in better shape.

I have 9 cubans and about 6 or 7 other kinds my
    neighborhood cigar shop recommended.

8. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #8 ONEOFEW, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Whisky, in order for the box to sustain level of humidity you need to have it filled with cigars at least half or even 3/4 full
    When you drop the wet sponge in the box you see the level shoot up to 80%. Same concept...fill up the box with cigars, drop in the gel tubes it will work. Cigars need to absorb n retain the humidity box is just box to seal it.
    As a rule of thumb distilled water is preferred since there is no chlorine or other chemicals to alter the flavor of the cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    The analog hygrometers that come with most low end humidors frankly suck.

Skip the hydrometer, skip distilled water or PG solution and just get Boveda packs. You'll need 1 pack per 25 cigars, the packs will be good for 3-6 months of maintenance free humidification.

75% would be quite a bit high. 72% would be more inline with recommendations, however I keep my desktops at home between 65-69%.

10. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I have had the cigars in it, a shot glass of water, a gel puck AND a gel tube
    For 2 weeks and it sticks at 56-58%.

I just need to follow the advice here and have some patience....

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Did you calibrate the hygrometer? For a small humidor like your I like the suggestion of the Boveda packs. Simple and safe, you just toss it in and leave it.

If you haven't calibrated the hygrometer it could be WAY off. Is it analog or digital? You can buy really simple digital ones cheap. That's what I used while I had mine in my "tuperdor".

Boveda Humidification Packets - Cigars International
    HUMI-CARE Black Ice Round Digital Hygrometer - Cigars International

12. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have heard that the easiest way to calibrate the hygrometer is to wrap it in a soaked paper towel for 5 minutes then check the reading. If is not at 100%, then adjust the screw dial to set it to 100%. When you replace it in the humidor most likely it will settle around 70-75%

13. TTM-BUL

TTM-BUL Karting

Dec 18, 2006
    If only a few sticks the best thing is tupperwre with a couple pieces of thin cedar from a box of cigars. Use a Bovida humidipak, 62%-65% is best for cuban cigars.

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Close but no cigar. :( Sorry I couldn't resist that one. :)

Here is a simple procedure......https://www.neptunecigar.com/tips/how-to-calibrate-your-hygrometer

Just like others mentioned wetting the inside cedar with distilled water will certainly bring the humidity level up. Once you do that it should be pretty easy to maintain.

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You definitely need to season the humidor before it will work properly (Seasoning Your Humidor | Weekly Tip)

You need to use only distilled because there are a ton of deposits in tap water. Think about the water spots that result from a tiny drop of water that you don't dry properly on a car. There is a LOT more water than a few drops used in the humidifying element and it will be ruined by deposits in short order if you use tap water.

You don't want too much humidity -- 70 percent is about max. If the humidity level gets too high, beetle eggs in the cigars will hatch and it's pretty gross. Mold is also a risk with too much humidity.

If you can't get it to maintain humidity after the humidor has been thoroughly seasoned, then one of these will do the trick -> https://www.amazon.com/Visol-Products-VAC700-Humidifier-Humidor/dp/B000PUWHJC/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1467817468&sr=8-11&keywords=humidifier+humidor

I've tried a few different humidifier units and the above is the only one that worked really well and it is very well made (despite the low price).

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

+ 1. I love the Bovida humidipak. Easy peasy , no-brainer.