kininvie 17 1996 | FerrariChat

kininvie 17 1996

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by ross, Jan 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #1 ross, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    i have a bottle of this fine whisky. i received this as a gift but i tasted it a while back and it is not to my liking , so i will sell this bottle. it is unopened, in the original box, although the box got slightly bent.

anybody interested or know where i can go to sell it?

this is what it looks like
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-28321.aspx

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not sure I will ever want to pay $300+ for a bottle of whiskey but it would be interesting to try. Also not sure you can technically legally sell it unless maybe there is a dealer that wants to buy it. I could be wrong though. :)

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i contacted some dealer who is reverting, but likely with a lower price given that he will have to resell it.
    yes, it is a very expensive bottle - and that price is for 35cl, meaning a half bottle. a whole bottle is likely close to $500.

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Kininvie is one of those mysterious things that used to reside in the periphery of the whisky world (in Scotland) but which is now dipping its toes into branding its own dram. It sits on Balvenie's property (opened in the early 1990's), and has been used for a number of years by Grants to support other blends. If you know the Dufftown tastes, it is one of three used in the Monkey Shoulder blended whisky, which sells quite reasonably (the other whiskies used are are Glenfiddich and Balvenie), and which receives pretty good reviews.

The size of the bottle was a marketing choice to control the cost of any one bottle (since it's pretty expensive), and its scarcity creates that curiosity we know well from other desired brands like Pappy Van Winkle (which I passed by a couple times before it got so popular, and which now I'll probably never taste). That means you'd likely get your price (close to retail, which may just keep rising), but it might take awhile to let a serious collector (or someone with $$$ and who is curious about it).

You might check out info from the LA Whisk(e)y Society re selling as a private party. Value of Whiskey - How to Sell Old Whiskey - Bourbon, Rye, Single Malt The info might be discouraging, though, since only licensed sellers can legally sell it in the USA, selling and shipping across state lines usually violates some tax law, and even bars can only sell booze bought from a licensed wholesaler. If you have a whisky group in your area, you could contact them to see about private-to-private transactions, although those are all off the books, etc., to my understanding.

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow I didn't even catch that. So basically half what we consider a normal fifth of booze.

Interesting stuff. I had some Monkey Shoulder at a friend's house and rather enjoyed it even though I'm not a huge scotch fan normally. But I later bought a bottle and didn't have the same experience. I wonder how much the blend can change by batch?

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    apparently in all of texas there are 4 bottles, and they are all in dallas. but when spec's called to see about them, the dealer denied having them.

anyway, lets see what happens. maybe i will just keep it as a curiosity - it only gains in value anyway. i like whisky and so i receive gifts of it along the way, and i have a number of older, and now rare bottles.

btw, i just bought an interesting bottle of Arran malt, finished in italian amarone casks - must say it is one of the best whisky's i have had in a while.

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting stuff. I bet finishing in amarone casks gives it a bit different flavor profile.