'Sushi grade' grade Ahi tuna - cooking advice needed. | FerrariChat

'Sushi grade' grade Ahi tuna - cooking advice needed.

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Fast_ian, Mar 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

So, I couldn't resist a chunk of this at my local farmers market a few minutes back. Looked too good to resist.

However, I'm old fashioned enough to need it at least a little cooked.

Any idea from the gurus here? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Ian

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #4 Fast_ian, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I *love* this place! :)

Is there any any question that isn't answered almost immediately?!

Thanks guys!

I'm not a wasabi fan, so it's currently marinating in a soy & honey mix. Figure I'll turn it over a few times over the next hour or so.

No idea what a 'chimney' is, and was thinking of firing up the BBQ. Get that nice & toasty & as suggested, just kinda 'wave' it over that. Then it occurred to me I have a pretty nice grill plate on the stove top - much less of a PITA than the BBQ - I've got a grill rack that pretty much fits over that. Get that rig nice & toasty & again just kind of 'show' the fish to that. Should put some nice stripes on the thing, & call it done.

Should all be completed ahead of the Warriors & Sharks games later.

I'll report back.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #5 Fast_ian, Mar 12, 2016
  6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I did forget the sesame seeds. :(

I do have a pack of sunflower seeds though. Thinking about chopping them up instead?

In addition to a nice Caesar salad 1/2 left over from lunch.

Somewhat prompted by the other thread, someone also just gave me 3 avocados. Could certainly chop one or two into the salad, but that doesn't quite seem right. I am wondering if there's any way to 'incorporate' that with the fish?..... Probably be a disaster, but I'm no chef, hence the Q's.... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

7. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    #7 joker57676, Mar 12, 2016
    Personally, I wouldn't use sunflower seeds. I'd quickly run my ass to the store and get some sesame seeds! :) And for spice, if you do not like wasabi, I have used cayenne powder; that makes for a spicy tuna roll type flavor.

With regards to the avocado, why not make some thin slices and fan it out on top of the fish after its cooked?

This is a charcoal chimney. It's used to start a load of charcoal quickly, but you can throw a grate on the top and cook right on it if you want crazy hot temps for searing.

Mark

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. Unfortunately, for reasons that need not concern us here, I'm a walker right now & there's nowhere 'in range'. :(

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Figure I'll slice it up & put it in a 'side dish'. If it works, great, if not, no big deal.

Gotcha, thanks.

I know I can get the grill shown above very hot ahead of time. That's my plan anyway....

I do know not to overcook the thing. Some nice 'sear lines' and I reckon it's done. Unless I completely **** it up, more pix to follow.... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Aha! Quick edit there! ;)

That I do have 'in stock'. Good call!

Adding to the marinade as we speak. :)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Wash the outside. Pat dry. Roll in cracked pepper. Sear in fying pan under high heat on 4 long sides. Stop cooking when meat cooked 1/8" to 3/16" and the rest raw. Let cool. Cut in 3/16" slices with really sharp knife. Serve over a salad topped with sesame seeds, bonito flakes, and pea sprouts with miso dressing. It is the only way to cook sushi grade ahi tuna.

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #11 Fast_ian, Mar 12, 2016
    Just finished it.... I guess FBB posted as I was cooking/eating. Certainly comments I'll remember next week after I pick up another one!.... It was *good*, but;

- As I suspect is the case with all 'rookies', & despite the advice, I did slightly overcook it. Not badly, but a little.
    - The marinade made a great dipping sauce.

Glad I wasn't trying to impress the G/F! (I can do that with steak ;))

But, overall, for a first attempt, I'm satisfied, and *full*, which I guess is the objective after all! And the dog enjoyed the little overcooked leftovers, so we"re all happy.

Cheers,
    Ian

12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    :)

Let's us know how it's goes. I use a grill pan when I don't want to go through the effort of getting the charcoal going. As long as it gets searing hot, it'll work just fine.

Mark

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep! Lesson learnt there - my idea of 'racking' it above the grill plate didn't really work - never got hot enough. (Screw the sear lines! ;)) Took that off & dropped it onto the plate and everything improved really fast.

Live & learn, but again, for a first try I'm happy & will certainly try again next week.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason

Agree
    Just had salad nicoise Friday
    Fish on top was so good.