What's for Dessert? | FerrariChat

What's for Dessert?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by sf_hombre, Apr 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Springtime! Fresh Rhubarb and Strawberries! Here's my recipe for a pie with the easiest and tastiest pie crust (courtesy Jacques Pepin) you'll ever make. Total prep time is 30 minutes for both fruit and crust. Baking time about an hour.

FOR 9" PIE PAN:

CRUST
    1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
    1 large egg, beaten
    3 Tablespoons soft unsalted butter
    3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
    Pinch Salt
    1 Tablespoons Baking Powder
    2 Tablespoons hot milk

FILLING
    3 cups fresh rhubarb
    1 cup fresh strawberries
    1/3 cup Sugar
    2 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" pieces

FOR 12” PIE PAN

CRUST
    1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    2 large eggs, beaten
    4 Tablespoons soft unsalted butter
    4 Tablespoons vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
    ½ teaspoon Salt
    1 ½ Tablespoon Baking Powder
    3 Tablespoons hot milk

FILLING
    5 cups fresh rhubarb and 1 cup fresh strawberries.
    1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp Sugar
    3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" pieces

Cut Rhubarb and Strawberries into roughly ½” to ¾” size pieces and set aside. Rub a pat of butter around the sides and bottom of the pie pan and dust with flour. Cut 3 tablespoons of butter into ¼ size pieces and put in the freezer.

In a separate bowl, combine all crust ingredients EXCEPT hot milk. Mix well with large wooden/plastic spoon until mixture starts to combine. Add hot milk and stir until well mixed. Dough will be very soft. Roll out on floured surface such as a plastic cutting board to about ¼” thickness for the size pan you are using. Don’t just use a floured counter top. This is why: put upside down floured/buttered pan on top of rolled out dough, and gently but quickly turn the board over. The dough will drop into the pan. Gently press the down down into pie pan and trim the edges of the crust.

Sprinkle sugar and butter pieces over the fruit. Mix briefly with a large wooden/plastic spoon. Put fruit into pie pan on crust.

Bake for the first 15 minutes at 425 or until crust is golden. THEN REDUCE HEAT TO 350 DEGREES, put a sheet of aluminum foil on top of the pie to hinder further browning, and bake for about another 45 minutes or until fruit pieces are sitting in liquid broth. Cool on a rack. Serve with whipped cream on top if desired.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ From where are you getting fresh strawberries at this time of year? Jealous!

"... Serve with whipped cream on top if desired."

If desired? Unless your lactose intolerant, that's no option! ;)

This sounds awesome. Hope you're enjoying it with your home roasted coffee.

T

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  4. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    We got strawberries everywhere here in SoCal. I think they're $6 for 4 pounds at Costco. Also can drive up the coast from San Diego 20 minutes and get them at a stand next to the fields.

They're usually available here throughout the year winter South America. The "stand" berries at $15 for three small baskets are not always more flavorful than the Costco cheapies.

It's rhubarb that's seasonal here.

I'm not a fan of oreo anything -- prefer foods made from scratch when possible and practical.

5. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    #5 sf_hombre, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I loved Oreos as a kid! Actually, she bought the knock off store brand. If I was a good boy, my grandma would let me have a hand full with an ice cold glass of milk before bed time. I'd try and dunk them in milk until just before they fell apart. Man, that takes me back! 😋
    T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That's a high rhubarb to strawberry ratio. I've only had it a few times and it was more weighted toward the strawberry end of things. Rhubarb is fairly tart, isn't it?
    T

8. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    It is fairly tart, which personally I like. Strawberries have, as you point out, a lot sweeter taste. The pie recipe I gave doesn't produce an astringent result, though.

I halve the sugar quantities in many recipes, especially desserts. If I don't, I mostly taste the sugar. If the sugar is the dominant taste, what's the point of going to the trouble of making a dessert? I might as well get a spoon and a bag of C&H.

9. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Call me jealous! Haven't had a decent one of those pies since my neighbor would bake one for me if I picked her enough rhubarb to make 2. As she moved away right around my 4th birthday, that is surely a LONG time to have a hankering for such a pie!

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Looks good. Not a fan of rhubarb though. Great aunt made pies and very good cakes. Unfortunately she is 94 now and doesn't bake anymore. Oreo cookies are awesome, I'll eat anything with them in it. I remember back in either 84 or 5, Dairy Queen came out with the Blizzard. Was in Hawaii (Maui) and got an Oreo cookie blizzard every day for two weeks. They didn't have them in Canada yet. So when I got home ruined my mothers mixer making them at home. I now usually have a blizzard once per week in spring summer.

11. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Great memories for me, too! My mother bought the original version of Oreos called Hydrox cookies. Anyone remember those? I understand they're supposed to be making a cultural resurgence. Hydrox Cookies Will Return to Stores This Month -- Grub Street

bernieb likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Funny you say that, I didn't realize Hydrox was older until I googled it after making that post...T

13. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    #13 sf_hombre, Apr 28, 2016
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Oh, man, does they look great. Recipe?
    T

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dessert pizza! Nutella and strawberries.
    Simple and tasty. Not overly sweet. Florida strawberries I picked up last night at Central Market were just perfect after mascerating with a dash of brown sugar. Recipe in the What's for Dinner thread.
    [​IMG]
    T

16. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Tom -- Recipe in Post #1 -- just different fruits in filling. Easy peasy.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Gotcha. I like easy homemade desserts...T

18. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    #18 sf_hombre, Apr 29, 2016
  19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'm experimenting! Back in 1987, there was a hole in the wall diner in Truckee California on a golf course. They served this chocolate fudge cake that was to die for. I discovered they bought it at Costco. I made my Mom to get a Costco card. Back in those days only retail store owners could be members. Luckily my grand father owned a retail store.

Costco hasn't carried the cake for years. But they have a Birthday cake that is close.

David's Cookies Chocolate Fudge Birthday Cake

In BC we have a restaurant chain, in every city in the province. They make a Dessert called the Ultimate Chocolate Cake, served with vanilla bean ice cream. Back in the 1980's, it was a big slice of cake served in a bowl with homemade ice cream on top cover in hot chocolate fudge. Now its an artsy slice on a plate with some ice cream brand on the side of the plate with some fudge artfully drizzled over top. Old way was awesome, new you feel somewhat cheated!

https://www.whitespot.ca/menu/bc/dessert

I found a bakery that makes buns similar to White Spot. The catch to the restaurant and why its popular here, is their secret sauce. Restaurants in Canada think its illegal to make rare burgers. The plan is to make White Spot style burgers. Make an old fashion style Ultimate Chocolate Cake dessert with homemade vanilla ice cream. Using another cake close to the Tahoe restaurant. Make the burger rare like they used to in the 80's.

Nostalgic dinner and dessert!

20. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    #20 piratepress, May 15, 2016
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Tiramisu is one of those desserts that I like, but know I'll never master...T

22. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    My Sis-In-Law is quite the baker and I pester her every holiday to make Tiramisu. However, it can be challenging finding the mascarpone and the lady fingers. No stores seem to carry them at the same time.

23. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Tiramisu is one thing hard to find good here. Same with Portuguese pastries (very good stuff). We have bakeries with some items, etc. But in Toronto they have entire stores, bakeries, etc. That everything is Portuguese or Italian. Here the specialty shops are Asian (including South Asian like India), we have Safeway sized Asian grocery stores here. Or British. The in between is hard to find.

Created my own dessert. I had chocolate chip muffins from Safeway. Didn't feel like just the muffin and didn't want to waste them. So I used up the last of my last batch of homemade vanilla ice cream. Put the muffin in a bowl. Added ice cream and Smucker's chocolate fudge topping. Very yummy!

24. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    #24 piratepress, May 22, 2016
  25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Ok, I'm not googling anything with Momofuku in it, so you'll have to tell me what's in it!
    T