Wholesale wine purchases? | FerrariChat

Wholesale wine purchases?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Jon Hansen, Apr 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    My wife and I love red wine. We have 8-10 favorites and go through about 1-1/2 bottles per day on average with entertaining and personal use.
    We usually buy at the local high end grocery store where you get 10% off on 4 or more bottles. Average price is $15-20/bottle
    Since we are going though 4-500 bottles a year, it makes sense to buy in higher quantities.
    What are some of the better places and methods of making a $5-10k buy?
    Is there any benefit to buying more or less than this amount?
    What type of discount should I expect?
    I'd really like your opinions.
    Please discuss!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I can't answer your question, but I can say that Costco has good (by my admittedly unsophisticated palate) wine at good prices, and they do big volume. No sure if they'd discount though..T

3. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Try wine-searcher.com find what your looking for and email several of the stores and see what they offer. Kinda like talking to the Internet sales dept at a car dealership. You get their price without all of the time wasted going there

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I was going to say Costco. Here and in most of pacific northwest (including California) we have a lot of small wineries. Id contact some directly. Most do direct sales. But most states limit the amount they can sell directly to the public. Believe even Costco in some places is limited in the amount they can sell to non liquor license holders. But you can still buy a few cases at a time.

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I've sold loads of wine to retailers, so I assume I got a "wholesale" price. Its pretty common to get 70-85% of what they end up retailing the wine for. So, at least for "non everyday drinking aged wines", the mark-up is only 15-30% in my experience. Its likely higher on the fresh stuff from the distributors. But from what I've seen, wine doesn't have huge mark-ups like some other products.

If you are looking for "volume purchasing", I like K&L in CA. I've bought way more from a few other places, but there is a not immaterial number of scam/ponzi companies in the wine import and retail business. I've had to fight to get wine after purchasing it and/or to get checks when I sold them some wine. There are loads of stories of similar out there. So, stick with reputable places. K&L in CA. MacArthurs in DC area iirc. Also Total wine is fine too.

Wrt discounts to retail, it really depends on what you are buying. 10% is pretty standard, although some of the higher volume places with fine wines don't offer it. You didn't say imported vs. domestic, and price point, let alone futures vs. in stock...

6. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Yes as I live so close to many good wineries, I find a winery and join their wine club and just drive to pick up my wine..many also club offers members out of state shipping also find a favorite wine and see if you can join their wine club, you will get their quarterly or how ever you want shipments, at the same time take advantage of the discount..
    As others have said Costco has good wines also...

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    oh, your OP made me smile a bit...I once had a foodie GF who cooked great meals and/or we ate out at good places pretty much every night...and we both loved wine. We were also going through 1-2 bottles each day. I thought that might last forever and expanded my cellar to over 5000 bottles of mostly young bordeaux and burgundy and champagne to enable us to harvest that much wine out of the cellar each year.

Interestingly enough, my cellar is down to 100 bottles or so today (sold most of it, not drank :)

I hardly drink wine anymore...the good news is, if your tastes change, if you bought high end wines, you can sell them for a profit in many cases (I made a bit of money despite losing the mark-up). But that's classified-growth and well chosen Bordeaux, burgundy and champagne. Everyday drinking quality wines won't have the same, err, liquidation opportunity.

8. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    We are consumers, not collectors. I will put up 500 to 1000 bottles most likely.
    Most of the wines we like are from CA, the Russian River region.
    It sounds like another summer NAPA trip is in order....
    :)
    I will check out COSTCO and follow up on the other leads.
    Any other ideas would be appreciated, as I consider myself a novice in this area.

9. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    I think you answered your own question. Most, if not all, of the vineyards will send it home for you. The trick and my personal quest is finding the value. If you're drinking 400+ bottles a year, unless you're very wealthy, you have to shop smart and with your palette at the forefront.
    I had an nice conversation earlier with my local wine guy. I bought a recommended and relatively inexpensive "light oaked" chardonnay, interesting wine and interesting process. None the less another wine comes up in conversation and we were comparing prices and vintages and where we drank it. Fun conversation.
    Wine is like anything else though. You're either shopping for it or someone is selling it to you. If you narrow down what you enjoy, you'll have an easier time getting your cellar to where you want it to be.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The standards in our industry are as follows....The retailer works on a 40% gross. The wholesaler who sells it to the retailer is on a 30% gross.
    You'll never get it at the wholesalers prices even if you buy it direct from the winery. As a matter of fact it is likely you'll pay MORE at the winery because of the contract with the wholesaler.
    If you want to get the best deal on wine bought in volume go find a retailer you know and get them to sell it to you at 10% over cost plus the alcohol and sales taxes.